Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I’ve just been sent a video of Tommy Robinson calling on people to go to London this weekend to ‘defend’ our statues. 
If this gains traction, the country is ****ed and division will be further than ever :nono:

I’m not sure, you’ll probably get a few hundred kids go down, who will kick off a bit and be sent back with their tails between their legs.

In New South Wales (the only state where these records are kept) 82% of indigenous people charged with cannabis crimes are followed through and taken to court... for non indigenous... it is 52%

This is a simple example of hidden racism that they are struggling against

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

He's so daft! 

Who are they defending them from? Nobody is going to attack or take down a Churchill statue, a Nelson statue etc.

The statues that are being taken down are of slave traders that 99% of people have never heard of. They mean nothing. 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

He's a pleb. Short-sighted, arrogant, dickhead that just adds fuel to fires with outrageously controversial statements every now and then. He's the catalyst for literally anyone to respond to a genuine issue with 'what about the grooming gangs?!' 

He angers me so much. I know he shouldn't but I hate everything about him. 

I agree, I don’t have any ill feeling over statues I’d never heard of. Although I think it’s dangerous to whitewash our history, as long as museums are safe from this, I can live with it. As I said when I seen the Churchill statue defaced at the weekend, it’s the perfect catalyst for Robinson and these extreme groups and I’m not even slightly surprised. I just hope people aren’t swayed.

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I’m not sure, you’ll probably get a few hundred kids go down, who will kick off a bit and be sent back with their tails between their legs.

Oh I hope so, but I wish I could be as confident.

1 minute ago, ozleicester said:

In New South Wales (the only state where these records are kept) 82% of indigenous people charged with cannabis crimes are followed through and taken to court... for non indigenous... it is 52%

This is a simple example of hidden racism that they are struggling against

So, is it known if there is “on high” directives to crack down/monitor the indigenous people, or its a ground level behaviour?

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I agree, I don’t have any ill feeling over statues I’d never heard off. Although I think it’s dangerous to whitewash our history, as long as museums are safe from this I can live with it. As I said when I seen the Churchill statue defaced at the weekend, it’s the perfect catalyst for Robinson and these extreme groups and I’m not even slightly surprised. I just hope people aren’t swayed.

Same. I bet some people on both sides had absolutely no idea who Colston was before the weekend. 

I agree that history shouldn't be white-washed either. Maybe just need a different way of educating people like you say, in museums, as opposed to in honour of a statue. 

Sadly I think people already are swayed and he already has enough of a backing. 

• Like 1

A friend of mine once had a face to face with Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (I refuse to use his daft monicker) when he was marching round town with his little posse of bouncers in tow. I gather they didn't really know what to do as she was a woman who was just politely pointing out the ways he's wrong. Then he just sort of moved on to shouting at other people. He clearly thrives on the conflict and I'm sure he was ill-prepared for prison life. 

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Same. I bet some people on both sides had absolutely no idea who Colston was before the weekend. 

I agree that history shouldn't be white-washed either. Maybe just need a different way of educating people like you say, in museums, as opposed to in honour of a statue. 

I completely agree :(

Really worried for this weekend.

10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

This is why they should be being removed through democratic process. There have been enough campaigns for the removal of statues of Colston and Rhodes and General Lee in the US that it shouldn't have got to this stage where people need to take matters into their own hands, this just enables idiots to be outraged and mobilises Robinson and his ilk.

A statue was removed in London this morning https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-london-52977088

Don't know how much news this got outside the capital but it got a little segment on the news and there were no protests, no controversy just the right thing being done by the people in charge. How it should have been done years ago.

11 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I completely agree :(

Really worried for this weekend.

Prediction: Quite a few people will turn up to defend the cenotaph and Churchill statue. Robinson and his cronies will also rock up and violence will ensue, which will give the usual suspects ammunition to say this proves we're an irredeemably racist country. The whole thing escalates. But at least the virus has agreed to take the day off to fight against systemic racism.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Prediction: Quite a few people will turn up to defend the cenotaph and Churchill statue. Robinson and his cronies will also rock up and violence will ensue, which will give the usual suspects ammunition to say this proves we're an irredeemably racist country. The whole thing escalates. But at least the virus has agreed to take the day off to fight against systemic racism.

No one will bat an eyelid at their social distancing either. 

44 minutes ago, Lionator said:

He's so daft! 

Who are they defending them from? Nobody is going to attack or take down a Churchill statue, a Nelson statue etc.

The statues that are being taken down are of slave traders that 99% of people have never heard of. They mean nothing. 

The Nelson statue may prove a tad more difficult to remove than Colston's statue.

5 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Very interesting article about the whole JK Rowling debacle.

https://medium.com/@rebeccarc/j-k-rowling-and-the-trans-activists-a-story-in-screenshots-78e01dca68d

Quite eye-opening.

Where was the article? Just looked like a lot of people seeing how many ugly words and phases that could fit into a short sentence.

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Covid-19 has shown us that capitalism in it's current form is completely unsustainable. 

Climate change had already shown us that, hadn't it? Yet humanity, capitalism, consumption and resource depletion have ploughed on - with change only at an inadequate level.

In theory, the Covid-19 shock does present an opportunity to rethink how capitalism operates worldwide or even how society is organised.

In practice, I fear that the changes made will only be of a kind to help globalised capitalism to operate profitably in the Covid/post-Covid era - maybe a bit more reluctance to depend on international supply chains, more health protection, more working from home etc. Big global capital is so central not only to the economic system, but to consumption-driven employment and lifestyles - not to mention its enormous influence over democratic politics through economic power, lobbying, donations etc. I can imagine there being some changes due to Covid - and some people who completely change their lives - but I struggle to imagine systemic change resulting.

I hope opportunities to rethink things are taken, but am not optimistic. Look at the desire of the ultra-capitalist govts (US, UK, Brazil), to varying degrees, to get back to work making money ASAP - or the mining corporation in Australia destroying ancient sites so as to dig vast wealth out of the rock of the earth....

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Very interesting article about the whole JK Rowling debacle.

https://medium.com/@rebeccarc/j-k-rowling-and-the-trans-activists-a-story-in-screenshots-78e01dca68d

Quite eye-opening.

Quite revolting that actual people (although I strongly doubt this) could refer to someone who they don't know, but based on a social media post, in such a way.

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

No one will bat an eyelid at their social distancing either. 

Yes they will, The same as people where accused of only complaining about social distancing at the BLM protest and not beaches when in reality a lot complained about both.

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

Covid-19 has shown us that capitalism in it's current form is completely unsustainable. 

I actually disagree. Capitalism delivered as a form of meritocracy is quite fine, sustainable and just, but when run as a plutocracy, it is unfair, unjust and ultimately doomed.

But maybe that is what you were implying by "in its current guise"....back to work

Edited by Dahnsouff

13 minutes ago, los dedos said:

Yes they will, The same as people where accused of only complaining about social distancing at the BLM protest and not beaches when in reality a lot complained about both.

Sorry I meant themselves at the actual protests/gatherings.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Quite revolting that actual people (although I strongly doubt this) could refer to someone who they don't know, but based on a social media post, in such a way.

Don't mildly disagree with the movement in any way or you'll be called a **** and have stank pussy energy. 

As I said earlier in the thread this type of behaviour undermines the movement. I certainly haven't looked at that and thought 'wow the trans acceptance movement are really cool people'. 

Edited by foxile5
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I actually disagree. Capitalism delivered as a form of meritocracy is quite fine, sustainable and just, but when run as a plutocracy, it is unfair, unjust and ultimately doomed.

When a system rewards the usage of monetary power, and that power is obtained by the influence of wealth, dismissing the result of said system as "unfortunate deviation from the norm" isn't a valid argument. Like the saying, "all roads lead to Rome". Sooner or later, it's gonna be a plutocracy.

In a capitalist bubble, meritocracy creates plutocracy.

Edited by the fox

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I learnt about the Slave-trade way back in the 60s at Secondary  school,so I knew of him & City of  Bristols involvement as other Major ports.I

Our country's folk,have a tendency to push alot of History under the table,or simply forget,the major,argumentative and indignant,finer details( sarcasm)..

For the avg.Citizen in any country,unless history,Geography falls into your hobby,past-time or sphere of General knowledge( like mine),then People tend to

put them either on the back- burner,forget them totally,or never had interest in the first place. The driving Force of modern life,give many peoples,other priorities..I

Racism under any pretence is abhorable,but like the white European colonialism,should Not be ignoriered or wiped from history,then the Perpetual African/Asian/Old Persian Internal still Open racism,should Not be cast aside....

It is with our white European & Now generations of Immigrants Education open societies,that allows that history,Plus the present underlying character in all our walks of life to be challenged...Often Not to be forgotten its not all the People on the streets,who push it, then asked & try to force it to be not recognised,

but the set up of individual Governments  & their institutions ,plus the  individuals within...

Another thought on the Timing of this present movement of the peoples stance & demostrations on racism....

whats more appropiate....

# To have Corvid-19 ,being a constant companion in the modern society( knowing numbers will improve),

with a Major & Mighty Steps taken in destroying all racist/cast-systems platforms.

# Corvid-19 being erradicated   ( knowing Corona strain s will always  accompany us), but NO Human-character awakening or Change ( importantly institutionally)

towards racism, &  People discrimation. Including Cast-systems.

There is Never a right or wrong time for demonstations, pendemics,austerity ,or other Human- considered-struggles.  The history and often an individual event/Action gives the presence and History of the time....The Right..!!!   

Only self seeking politicians,and righteous point scorers will try and make their totally inept/irrelevant  remarks....