Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

I can't believe people can't separate comedy from real life. I never really got into Little Britain but Come Fly With Me I liked. To me it's satire and they're taking the piss out of stereotypes. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Milo said:

That's not strictly true though, is it? it's not quite as easy as that.

The media, especially print media, will more often than not try to influence, rather reflect opinion. 

And as for your second point, I've not bought a newspaper for about 20 years, but it's still difficult to escape people posting Guardian links on a football forum. :ph34r:

There is an influence yes, but you don’t agree with you don’t buy it or watch it. You exclude it. The Sun skews it to its audience and the Guardian skews it to its audience. They are mirrors of their consumers. 

Equally someone posts a link it’s your choice. 

Can’t say I’ve watched Little Britain much but when you have 2 people playing multiple characters then I guess they needed to portray characters of different races. Of cause the irony is that had they have just portrayed white people, they’d have probably been pulled up for that as well!

27 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

And this is how the message is lost I guess.

Yes.  I'm getting confused now.  To begin with it was disgust at racist police brutality in America, then it was police brutality here, then it was our history, then our monuments, now it's comedy. 

I know there's reason for resentment because of all of the above but we can't change history. We can only work in the present to bring change in the future.  What, specifically, needs to change? Let's talk about that and start taking action.

Edited by nnfox

39 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Coventry promotion party currently going on, doesn't look to be much social distancing happening...

*awaits comments about their lack of fans so they are always social distancing*

You won’t get covid 19 in Coventry, it’d be too scared of catching something.

19 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Yes.  I'm getting confused now.  To begin with it was disgust at racist police brutality in America, then it was police brutality here, then it was our history, then our monuments, now it's comedy. 

I know there's reason for resentment because of all of the above but we can't change history. We can only work in the present to bring change in the future.  What, specifically, needs to change? Let's talk about that and start taking action.

This is how Adolf started it all off:ph34r:

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

I’d say the BBC is probably watched by older people who are more likely to be right wing, vote Conservative and/or Brexit, that’s not an unfair assumption right? BBC employees are likely to be media (or other related degrees) graduates working in Salford or London, which is natural and unavoidable to some degree. The BBC certainly isn’t pro-Brexit (as somebody that would rather remain) and isn’t changing to reflect it’s viewership. No matter how independent an institution there’s going to be some traces of bias.

A public broadcaster isn’t the same as typical print media where it dies have to change to suit it’s readerships. I don’t agree with people saying defund their BBC btw, I think it’s childish.

Depends what section of the BBC you are targeting. BBC news and politics programmes yes. But wouldn’t expect to have that demographic watching Stacey Dooley or Citizen Khan. 

If you look at Question Time for example it’s consistently had UKIP and Brexit Party members on it, Nigel Farage appearing countless occasions. When no other broadcaster would have them on. But then there’s claims that for a spell last year 70% of guests were remain. That’s representative in fact that political persons were predominantly Remain regardless of party but then some opinions altered with the public’s view. 

The BBC being accused of both right and left wing probably means it’s doing it’s job right. Particularly when it comes to its Breakfast and 10 O Clock shows. 

For info, the new BBC General Director is a Tory member and former deputy chairmen of a region within the party.

Robin Gibb who was in charge of BBC Westminster and all related political programme during the Brexit period was pro Brexit and went on to work for Theresa May. His brother remains a Tory MP. 

His successor Rob Burley worked as a researcher for Labour but been linked with a couple of real controversial bookings on the Marr Show. Alumni of Nottingham. 

It’s a broad church and that’s what the BBC is trying to illustrate. The morons which scream defund BBC simply forgot how far reaching it is in all forms TV programming, radio, sport, website.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Depends what section of the BBC you are targeting. BBC news and politics programmes yes. But wouldn’t expect to have that demographic watching Stacey Dooley or Citizen Khan. 

If you look at Question Time for example it’s consistently had UKIP and Brexit Party members on it, Nigel Farage appearing countless occasions. When no other broadcaster would have them on. But then there’s claims that for a spell last year 70% of guests were remain. That’s representative in fact that political persons were predominantly Remain regardless of party but then some opinions altered with the public’s view. 

The BBC being accused of both right and left wing probably means it’s doing it’s job right. Particularly when it comes to its Breakfast and 10 O Clock shows. 

For info, the new BBC General Director is a Tory member and former deputy chairmen of a region within the party.

Robin Gibb who was in charge of BBC Westminster and all related political programme during the Brexit period was pro Brexit and went on to work for Theresa May. His brother remains a Tory MP. 

His successor Rob Burley worked as a researcher for Labour but been linked with a couple of real controversial bookings on the Marr Show. Alumni of Nottingham. 

It’s a broad church and that’s what the BBC is trying to illustrate. The morons which scream defund BBC simply forgot how far reaching it is in all forms TV programming, radio, sport, website.

That's me, thanks :thumbup:

What I find really interesting about the whole Little Britain thing is that the two people in my life I've bonded with most over that show are also people of colour. One's a Leicester born and bred British Asian who always quotes Desiree DeVere (the former Miss Botswana) from the Bubbles sketch at me as well as others for the last 20 years. The other was a Japanese colleague I worked with when I was in New Zealand. I let a Marjorie Dawes mannerism slip at work and she knew exactly where it was from. Within 10 minutes she was singing about Martin ****ing Clunes and I'm pretty sure she still doesn't know who he is. That was 10 years ago and she still loves it.

One texted me earlier and said "What I've learned is that people love to oversimplify things so they don't actually have to think about them and their context. In this case "oh, he's in black face so it MUST be racist".

Which is sort of the problem we have. I don't think Lucas and Walliams ever intended to be racist, homophobic, transphobic, ablest, or whatever the **** the internets are going to complain about next. The people complaining right now seem to be either a) legitimately offended POC, b) wilfully interpreting it as racist for it's very existence, and c) white people offended on everyone else's behalf.

I just found it really disappointing that we give the irrational angry mob so much power over what other people enjoy. I think I'll finish this post with one of my favourite quotes from Christopher Hitchens:

“Those who are determined to be ‘offended’ will discover a provocation somewhere. We cannot possibly adjust enough to please the fanatics, and it is degrading to make the attempt.”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I can't believe people can't separate comedy from real life. I never really got into Little Britain but Come Fly With Me I liked. To me it's satire and they're taking the piss out of stereotypes. 

I can't believe people still discriminate based on skin colour. People are fvcking weird. 

The problem is one person's satire is another person's truth and just because you see it as the satire I believe it was intended to be others won't and it will fuel their existing bigotry. And while black people still feel persecuted they may feel this is offensive and a joke at their expense.

Edited by Captain...
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

What I find really interesting about the whole Little Britain thing is that the two people in my life I've bonded with most over that show are also people of colour. One's a Leicester born and bred British Asian who always quotes Desiree DeVere (the former Miss Botswana) from the Bubbles sketch at me as well as others for the last 20 years. The other was a Japanese colleague I worked with when I was in New Zealand. I let a Marjorie Dawes mannerism slip at work and she knew exactly where it was from. Within 10 minutes she was singing about Martin ****ing Clunes and I'm pretty sure she still doesn't know who he is. That was 10 years ago and she still loves it.

One texted me earlier and said "What I've learned is that people love to oversimplify things so they don't actually have to think about them and their context. In this case "oh, he's in black face so it MUST be racist".

Which is sort of the problem we have. I don't think Lucas and Walliams ever intended to be racist, homophobic, transphobic, ablest, or whatever the **** the internets are going to complain about next. The people complaining right now seem to be either a) legitimately offended POC, b) wilfully interpreting it as racist for it's very existence, and c) white people offended on everyone else's behalf.

I just found it really disappointing that we give the irrational angry mob so much power over what other people enjoy. I think I'll finish this post with one of my favourite quotes from Christopher Hitchens:

“Those who are determined to be ‘offended’ will discover a provocation somewhere. We cannot possibly adjust enough to please the fanatics, and it is degrading to make the attempt.”

I understand what you're saying but I don't know how relevant it is for blackface. What I don't like about the situation is the retrospective action - going back and cancelling stuff because of a current situation. Seems stupid. But I was surprised at the time they were donning blackface, and the whole show just seemed like a procession of pretty unpleasant and old-fashioned sketches featuring various stereotypes.

Like I said, I'm not for cancelling it, just found it pretty rank.  

38 minutes ago, rico said:

Ali G will be next

I realise you're probably joking but I think a lot of people did totally miss the point of the character, wouldn't be surprised to see it cancelled. 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Hmm.  That's a bit of an over-simplification.

In the 60/70/80's, the BBC was definitely pro-establishment, non-liberal, centre-right leaning.

Once the 60's cultural revolution generation got the main jobs at the BBC, its "moral compass" has slowly drifted across.

Now it's definitely more in the anti-establishment, liberal, centre-left leaning camp.   You might say that it's just pay-back time.

I honestly don't see how anyone can deny that.   It's political sympathies and sensibilities are broadly in step with The Guardian.

The only people who seriously believe the BBC is right wing, are those on the hard left.  And their opinion is no more valid, than someone on the hard right.

The other people who mischievously claim the BBC is 'right wing' are just doing it as deliberate smoke screen to confuse people.

In this liberal/PC world we live in, you might say it's a good thing that the BBC reflects the views of the younger generation.

But please don't insult our intelligence by trying to deny, what is blatantly obvious.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Hmm.  That's a bit of an over-simplification.

In the 60/70/80's, the BBC was definitely pro-establishment, non-liberal, centre-right leaning.

Once the 60's cultural revolution generation got the main jobs at the BBC, its "moral compass" has slowly drifted across.

Now it's definitely more in the anti-establishment, liberal, centre-left leaning camp.   You might say that it's just pay-back time.

I honestly don't see how anyone can deny that.   It's political sympathies and sensibilities are broadly in step with The Guardian.

The only people who seriously believe the BBC is right wing, are those on the hard left.  And their opinion is no more valid, than someone on the hard right.

The other people who mischievously claim the BBC is 'right wing' are just doing it as deliberate smoke screen to confuse people.

In this liberal/PC world we live in, you might say it's a good thing that the BBC reflects the views of the younger generation.

But please don't insult our intelligence by trying to deny, what is blatantly obvious.

Whether it is left wing or right wing doesn’t matter, question is, can they beat a man and put in a decent cross? 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

This is crazy, please someone who has a better understanding of history and our former Prime Ministers correct me if I have got this wrong. 
Wasn’t Gladstone widely regarded as the people’s prime minister a prime minister for the working class who broke down barriers for not only the working class, but for people of all races and religions to have the rights to advance themselves. 
He was also the man Who wanted to return Ireland to home rule and if he had his way would have prevented years of fighting and saved many lives along the way.

We now don’t name things after him, not because of what he did, but because of family ties? 
Again, correct me if I’m wrong and he himself was involved in the slave trade, but from what I know he was a hugely in favour of equal rights for everyone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Guessing I'll never again get to see films like Tropic Thunder, Trading Places and Short Circuit. (Not too bothered about Short Circuit actually).

Hope not..

Picture of Jamie Lee Curtis

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Guessing I'll never again get to see films like Tropic Thunder, Trading Places and Short Circuit. (Not too bothered about Short Circuit actually).

Breakfast at Tiffany's.

36 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

But you will be able to watch White Chicks