Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

1 hour ago, Blue-fox said:

I would guess it’s to protect British history. 

Apart from a few idiots vandalising a statue, no ones trying to tarnish British history apart from bringing to light this countries past? 

9 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

The issue is people always highlight extreme views from the movement which is a decentralised movement. It's a movement without leaders which main aim is to stop the systematic racism in society. What's not to support in that idea? Any other idea or view is just that of one individual and not of the wider movement. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

So many people finding so many excuses to criticise and disagree with the BLM movement which I feel is just a cover for their underlying prejudice. I wish those that are so critical would just admit that they don't think black lives matter rather than coming out with tedious and irrelevant reasons to criticise the movement just because they don't have the balls to say their true racist feelings. Cowardly. 

That's a hell of a strawman, I completely support the message of fighting racial inequality but the movement has expanded that now. All you have to do is read the manifesto, look at other stances and it's grown far wider than that. If they just had a streamlined movement focused purely on fighting racial inequality then I think they'd have lot more support than they do. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I dont think defunding our already under funded law enforcement is a smart big brained idea personally 

Hmm, the majority of people I’ve spoken to in this country don’t want to see the police defunded. In America, yes, as funding for the police department in certain states is MASSIVE, however we already know that services have been stripped to the bare bones in the UK

p.s. I do realise that it might be on their website, the American one anyway, haven’t been able to locate the UK version

Edited by LCFCbwoi

8 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

...I'm going to assume that there is a point to these posts and it is "look how we do when we're without police!" or is this all purely for the lulz?

1 minute ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

That's a hell of a strawman, I completely support the message of fighting racial inequality but the movement has expanded that now. All you have to do is read the manifesto, look at other stances and it's grown far wider than that. If they just had a streamlined movement focused purely on fighting racial inequality then I think they'd have lot more support than they do. 

I guess the point that was being made rather hamfistedly is that if you really actually care about addressing racial inequality, then the methods being used to do it, so long as they are effective (and there has been a certain effect Stateside) are acceptable to a certain level of extreme depending on the level of care about the topic. Again, it's the same with climate change - if you really think something should be done then you won't let what neo-Luddites like Extinction Rebellion get up to in the name of the cause distract you.

How true that argument is is obviously up to the beholder.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I guess the point that was being made rather hamfistedly is that if you really actually care about addressing racial inequality, then the methods being used to do it, so long as they are effective (and there has been a certain effect Stateside) are acceptable to a certain level of extreme depending on the level of care about the topic. Again, it's the same with climate change - if you really think something should be done then you won't let what neo-Luddites like Extinction Rebellion get up to in the name of the cause distract you.

How true that argument is is obviously up to the beholder.

I can get on board with that, but I think the issue with this issue is it's sprung up in response to what's happening in America, which has a far far far different issue than we have here. 

6 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

The thing is that is important to remember is that it is a decentralised movement. There will be extreme views from some in the movement but that doesn't reflect the wider movement which is about fighting racial inequality. With my post before I wasn't necessarily attacking or targeting anyone particularly but more the underlying racism I believe exists beneath some of the views. I also believe a lot of it is unconscious bias/racism rather than people being deliberately racist.

Again just want to stress that I'm not talking about you or anyone in particular as it's not something I feel comfortable accusing any individual of without properly knowing them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I can get on board with that, but I think the issue with this issue is it's sprung up in response to what's happening in America, which has a far far far different issue than we have here. 

Agreed, and the issues in the US should be the focus, rather than trying to change much over here.

But, again, perhaps the people going for that kind of unnecessary change and ranting about statues shouldn't be a distraction from the core problem if the core problem is really important to one.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

The thing is that is important to remember is that it is a decentralised movement. There will be extreme views from some in the movement but that doesn't reflect the wider movement which is about fighting racial inequality. With my post before I wasn't necessarily attacking or targeting anyone particularly but more the underlying racism I believe exists beneath some of the views. I also believe a lot of it is unconscious bias/racism rather than people being deliberately racist.

Again just want to stress that I'm not talking about you or anyone in particular as it's not something I feel comfortable accusing any individual of without properly knowing them.

I'm going purely on what was in their manifesto and has been published through their channels (the article I posted was a bit tongue in cheek, i didn't take that seriously). I think overall it needs more organisation at least here because our issues are more minor than over in America which infairness isn't purely a racial issue. I didn't think you were directing it at me, it just sprung to me like you were dismissing any kind of criticism and any one who did has some sort of underlying racial hatred. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I'm going purely on what was in their manifesto and has been published through their channels (the article I posted was a bit tongue in cheek, i didn't take that seriously). I think overall it needs more organisation at least here because our issues are more minor than over in America which infairness isn't purely a racial issue. I didn't think you were directing it at me, it just sprung to me like you were dismissing any kind of criticism and any one who did has some sort of underlying racial hatred. 

I think there's a worrying amount of underlying racial hatred behind a lot of comments I read on both here and on other sites. My first post was certainly too generalised and reading it back I was certainly in the wrong for being so. 

In regard to the article, I did get the impression it wan't a serious post but I challenged it because other people may take it too seriously and that can divide people which I don't want to see happen especially on an issue as important as this. 

I can agree that in the UK it maybe useful for the BLM movement to get more organisation and direction, I feel like the aims of the movement can get a bit confusing and lost as it stands.

5 hours ago, LCFCbwoi said:

p.s. I do realise that it might be on their website, the American one anyway, haven’t been able to locate the UK version

Because all I’ve seen from BLM UK is a go fund me page. As Peach as said, it’s completely decentralised group with hierarchy groups. As such as the message gets cloud when differing splinters etc go in direction. 

I think other political movements centred around race and those that I can think of had a figurehead to be the ‘face’. Sadly that left them dangerously targeted 

BLM lost me when they went after comedy. Im a big believer in freedom of speech and beleive no topic cannot be joked about. 

I could understand the peaceful protests, I could understand the non peaceful side of things was a small minority, I thought the Edward Colton statue was a landmark moment. 

I support equal rights for everyone, and I don't mean that in an 'all lives matter' way. I mean as in equality for women is also a big issue at the moment. 

But BLM lost me, I don't know what the movement is trying to achieve in the UK and beleive some of the impacts are detrimental to everyone in society.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, peach0000 said:

So many people finding so many excuses to criticise and disagree with the BLM movement which I feel is just a cover for their underlying prejudice. I wish those that are so critical would just admit that they don't think black lives matter rather than coming out with tedious and irrelevant reasons to criticise the movement just because they don't have the balls to say their true racist feelings. Cowardly. 

I think people that refuse any criticism of BLM movement and their lack of social distancing during a pandemic. The extreme behaviour of a minority within, the wanton destruction of war memorials, the removal of classic comedies without a proper understanding of what they are about. Are most likely racist and extremists themselves.

• Like 4