Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

12 minutes ago, Corky said:

Part of me thinks this is all a bluff. You can't seriously admit to breaking international law before you try to set up trade deals around the world.

Using the threat as a 'negotiation tactic' isn't much better. It also makes them look a bit desperate and willing to sign stuff they haven't read properly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corky said:

Part of me thinks this is all a bluff. You can't seriously admit to breaking international law before you try to set up trade deals around the world.

3 hours ago, bovril said:

Using the threat as a 'negotiation tactic' isn't much better. It also makes them look a bit desperate and willing to sign stuff they haven't read properly. 

I think probably both of these statements are correct. It probably is a bluff to try to gain leverage during negotiations, but at the expense of the UK’s credibility and reputation when trying to negotiate deals with anyone else in the future.

Just now, Lionator said:

They haven’t a clue what they’re doing. Anyone who thinks that there’s some kind of underhand plan grossly overestimates the intellect of Cummings and Johnson. 

I like this from Keir, very much a ‘get brexit done’ tone. Pretty savage. 

I haven't seen the whole video but I find that a bit of a disappointing response to be honest. I realise his approach is give them enough rope but I think eventually he is going to have to go over some of those "old arguments". 

Labour are still ****ed really. They are terrified of talking about Brexit because they know middle England is bored of it and doesn't understand why we can't just leave and trade with the world etc etc. So they focus on "the PM needs to get a trade deal", which is understandable I guess. The problem is when (if) Johnson does end up with some god-awful bare-bones trade deal he's going to wave it in their faces, and it's 2019 all over again. It's the Walkers Bowl tactic again. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, bovril said:

Labour are still ****ed really. They are terrified of talking about Brexit because they know middle England is bored of it and doesn't understand why we can't just leave and trade with the world etc etc. So they focus on "the PM needs to get a trade deal", which is understandable I guess. The problem is when (if) Johnson does end up with some god-awful bare-bones trade deal he's going to wave it in their faces, and it's 2019 all over again. It's the Walkers Bowl tactic again. 

Surely that means Labour are less ****ed. As soon as its done and he has some sort of deal to show for it, he loses his big advantage and it becomes old news which people don't want to hear about. The virus has meant he can't seize the agenda so unless they can create a narrative of 'we got coronavirus done', there'll be a huge vacuum that the government won't have the momentum to fill. 

Labour's best bet is to ignore Brexit, confronting it is of no value compared to using the energy to talk about the future and repair their image. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

So so bad at what he does. I just dont understand how this man is still in a job. 

The battle plan for the election was a Brexit cabinet that looks strong and decisive. Worked fantastically in the election but an interior health crisis has exposed it as sluggish, unrelatable and cold. Now a lot of the reliable, moderate old hands of the Tories have been purged, who do you go to except an unproven freshman MP?

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/516618-trump-defends-claim-coronavirus-will-disappear-citing-herd-mentality

President Trump defended his assertion that the novel coronavirus would “disappear” with or without a vaccine on Tuesday, saying the United States would develop what he called “herd mentality.”

“With time it goes away,” Trump said during an ABC News town hall in Pennsylvania when pressed by host George Stephanopoulos on his public comments about the virus. “You'll develop, you'll develop herd — like a herd mentality. It's going to be, it’s going to be herd-developed, and that's going to happen. That will all happen. But with a vaccine, I think it will go away very quickly.”

😂😂😂

2 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/516618-trump-defends-claim-coronavirus-will-disappear-citing-herd-mentality

President Trump defended his assertion that the novel coronavirus would “disappear” with or without a vaccine on Tuesday, saying the United States would develop what he called “herd mentality.”

“With time it goes away,” Trump said during an ABC News town hall in Pennsylvania when pressed by host George Stephanopoulos on his public comments about the virus. “You'll develop, you'll develop herd — like a herd mentality. It's going to be, it’s going to be herd-developed, and that's going to happen. That will all happen. But with a vaccine, I think it will go away very quickly.”

😂😂😂

I would say it's a parody but then it always has been.

i notice the consultation on proposed changes to the human medicines regulations laws runs out tonight, so anyone with any concerns or worries about the liable effects of being injected with something that might cause you to grow an extra arm or something, should take note.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/distributing-vaccines-and-treatments-for-covid-19-and-flu