Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Wait... This Claudia Webbe?

There were so many good local candidates for the Leicester East Labour seat yet the Corbynista's jettisoned one of their own in based her affiliation with Leicester (from 40+ years ago), so frustrating for the local branches.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StanSP said:

The man has no self awareness. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for politicians to change their views on things, but he criticising himself. He's ridiculous.

Edited by Facecloth

4 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Surely Adam Bienkov realises that's the joke? Or are political journos completely bereft of any sense of humour?

Is it a joke? He probably forgot he said, just remembers the quote.

6 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Is it a joke? He probably forgot he said, just remembers the quote.

It couldn't be anymore obvious that it's joke. He's said it numerous times in the past, it used to be his go to line about them. You really think they chose such a specific, very Jonhson-like quote thinking it was somebody else's words to take the piss out of?

10 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

The man has no self awareness. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for politicians to change their views on things, but he criticising himself. He's ridiculous.

Okay, even assuming it's not a joke and he thinks it was the words of someone else, if you're happy for politicians to change their minds then why is it ridiculous to criticise yourself, whether that's in the knowledge that he said it or without knowing? I'm pretty confident everyone says things that mug past them off, be it intentional or not.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

It couldn't be anymore obvious that it's joke. He's said it numerous times in the past, it used to be his go to line about them. You really think they chose such a specific, very Jonhson-like quote thinking it was somebody else's words to take the piss out of?

Okay, even assuming it's not a joke and he thinks it was the words of someone else, if you're happy for politicians to change their minds then why is it ridiculous to criticise yourself, whether that's in the knowledge that he said it or without knowing? I'm pretty confident everyone says things that mug past them off, be it intentional or not.

Isn't the issue more that he was wrong all along than that he has changed his mind?

Imagine how many times better off we'd be if people like Johnson hadn't been (and indeed still are) so sneeringly dismissive over the last 10/20 years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Isn't the issue more that he was wrong all along than that he has changed his mind?

Imagine how many times better off we'd be if people like Johnson hadn't been (and indeed still are) so sneeringly dismissive over the last 10/20 years.

I should think at some point Boris has written an article both for and against most things.  It seems to be the way he worked when he was a journalist.

It's a shame he hasn't gone big on Nuclear instead, although sadly we don't really have the skills to deliver on that ourslves, so that is probably why.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

I should think at some point Boris has written an article both for and against most things.  It seems to be the way he worked when he was a journalist.

It's a shame he hasn't gone big on Nuclear instead, although sadly we don't really have the skills to deliver on that ourslves, so that is probably why.

It doesn't have to be "instead", either - a combination of both Gen III/IV fission and various renewables would address the problems sustainably and well.

26 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It doesn't have to be "instead", either - a combination of both Gen III/IV fission and various renewables would address the problems sustainably and well.

And to be fair we are going ahead with Nuclear plans.  I guess storage will continue to get better as well.

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

And to be fair we are going ahead with Nuclear plans.  I guess storage will continue to get better as well.

Both storage and renewable energy efficiency will continue to improve with places finally taking their development seriously. And it's not before time, either.

This needs to happen around the world, not just in the UK, or just the developed world, for that matter.

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

"There is no harm in being wrong - especially if one is promptly found out"(okay you can argue for harm and that it hasn't been prompt, but it's the idea behind the quote rather than the specifics in this case) and "When my information changes, I alter my conclusions". For sure, there's an issue that he was wrong previously and the possible damage that has done. But I don't see much value in holding past expressions against people, if they're now of a different opinion. We should value people changing their mind for the better rather than talk about them being wrong prior.

Forgive me for assuming, but you seem like the type of person that supports rehabilitation of offenders, that you'd judge a prisoner on their actions after rehabilitation rather than because of what they did to end up there in the first place. So why doesn't that extend to ideas or positions on wind farms?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bovril said:

I see the latest 3 word slogan is out: "build back better". They seem to have stopped even trying to make them make sense. 

The worst thing is every minister they wheel out is programmed to repeat it. That recent "Snitch in time" shit or whatever it was, repeated by two robots on different channels within two minutes of each other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kopfkino said:

"There is no harm in being wrong - especially if one is promptly found out"(okay you can argue for harm and that it hasn't been prompt, but it's the idea behind the quote rather than the specifics in this case) and "When my information changes, I alter my conclusions". For sure, there's an issue that he was wrong previously and the possible damage that has done. But I don't see much value in holding past expressions against people, if they're now of a different opinion. We should value people changing their mind for the better rather than talk about them being wrong prior.

Forgive me for assuming, but you seem like the type of person that supports rehabilitation of offenders, that you'd judge a prisoner on their actions after rehabilitation rather than because of what they did to end up there in the first place. So why doesn't that extend to ideas or positions on wind farms?

Not a Boris fan but I agree with this.

Better to be satisfied with Boris' current approach (or what he is promising at least) than being spiteful about his initial position. Otherwise are we really saying people cant change their mind for greater good?

Surprised there’s not more disagreement of Rishi’s comments about retraining people from arts background. 

The ‘paranoid romantic’ in my head thinks the govt doesn’t want arty free thinkers right now but could do with compliant ‘soldiers’ 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Surprised there’s not more disagreement of Rishi’s comments about retraining people from arts background. 

The ‘paranoid romantic’ in my head thinks the govt doesn’t want arty free thinkers right now but could do with compliant ‘soldiers’ 

I think it's a massive slap in the face, take a shit and kick an industry when it's down despite said industry producing millions (billions?) for the economy. They'll be begging for it back when all venues are allowed to open up and host events. 

These politicians are so out of touch it's ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Liam Gallagher summing it up.

Also. Work a bit in the housing industry and it’s doing absolutely fine. They’re surprised about how good business is. Johnson will still bang on about that as needing saving before anything else though.

12 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Liam Gallagher summing it up.

Also. Work a bit in the housing industry and it’s doing absolutely fine. They’re surprised about how good business is. Johnson will still bang on about that as needing saving before anything else though.

Probably because most Tory MPs have property portfolios to worry about.