Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

18 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

England's "official" Coronavirus death toll is apparently to be reduced by about 5500 later this week.

The item was buried somewhere in the middle of BBC's Six O'Clock News programme. 

I’d still like to know the death toll directly due to covid 19, as in if some one gets run over and killed by a car, their death is due to being hit by a car, not by the car having a faulty back tyre or  the driver was  keying in a destination on the sat nav.

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Completely serious. I called 7 places last week before getting a table and the queue was out the door of the coffee shop I go to yesterday.

My lad tried to get into an empty pub but they said he hadn’t made an appointment, so he booked one outside one his phone and got one for a few minutes later!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

My lad tried to get into an empty pub but they said he hadn’t made an appointment, so he booked one outside one his phone and got one for a few minutes later!

This is what’s stopped me going into town so far. I just want to be able to wander in a pub that chooses my fancy and then pick myself a spot that I fancy when in there. I also like to move on after one or two and try somewhere else.  I’m not sure the present setups are going to make it the nice relaxing evening I want and sitting in my garden is still more appealing. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Monk said:

I have 3 friends in NZ and they're all super happy with the government's response there, and I would be too when you compare it to the calamitous handling elsewhere. How @simFox can call Arden Totalitarian is beyond me.

I bet it’s not really 😂.  My daughter is there too ..... same sentiment as your friends 🐑

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

It's telling that places with leaderships that are seemingly more willing to adapt to the information available are doing "better" (figuratively speaking) at fighting Covid thus far than those who are not.

Yep proper leadership provides the right settings ..... especially information. 

2 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Welp, I'm waiting for my results, my partner got hers back last night (negative) within the 24 hour target window, but mine still hasn't turned up even though they were taken at the same time.

Just want to go on a walk!

Good luck buddy 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MonmoreStef said:

This is what’s stopped me going into town so far. I just want to be able to wander in a pub that chooses my fancy and then pick myself a spot that I fancy when in there. I also like to move on after one or two and try somewhere else.  I’m not sure the present setups are going to make it the nice relaxing evening I want and sitting in my garden is still more appealing. 

You sound like a track and trace dream!

Pubs should absolutely be taking details of whoever goes in - I agree it takes a bit of the spontaneity away from having a beer. But anywhere decent will either take your details at the door, or ask you to order through the app. 

Most of us wanted the pubs open, the least we can do is be a bit sensible if we choose to use them. :thumbup:

Edited by Milo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Monk said:

I have 3 friends in NZ and they're all super happy with the government's response there, and I would be too when you compare it to the calamitous handling elsewhere. How @simFox can call Arden Totalitarian is beyond me.

I think it was, no? Didn't they give the police a huge amount of power, and have crazy fines?

But then in a crisis I think you need that style of leadership - someone to really get a hold of things and make sure the plan they have is actually carried out.

3 hours ago, Ollie93 said:

Same, everywhere is booked up.

Yeah I phone 7 places Tuesday night to get a place before we went to the cinema everywhere was booked. Managed to get a table in the end but was busy. 

Good to see local businesses busy. 

5 hours ago, Monk said:

Mainly because it is. Let's see how happy they are a few months from now. Even if they eradicate the virus, it will still come back, they're just kicking the can down the road.

Every dystopian film controls their population through fear of for their own good/safety etc. That's how they work.

3 hours ago, MonmoreStef said:

And then moving on to someone else's garden.

I found the answer to the question that I posed earlier here

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/908781/Technical_Summary_PHE_Data_Series_COVID-19_Deaths_20200812.pdf

but boy is it complicated.

of the 5000 that were excluded because of the new 28 day limit, 2300 had Covid 19 listed on their death certificates.

But 1800 of the people with positive tests within the 28 day window had death certificates that didn’t mention Covid 19

so overall the reduction looks about right.

the dashboard will in future report

a) the number of people who died within 28 days of a positive test

b) the number of people who died within 60 days of a positive test and had covid19 on their death certificate.

1 hour ago, simFox said:

Mainly because it is. Let's see how happy they are a few months from now. Even if they eradicate the virus, it will still come back, they're just kicking the can down the road.

Every dystopian film controls their population through fear of for their own good/safety etc. That's how they work.

If you really think the NZ is a totalitarian state then I think you've misinterpreted the meaning of the word. Perhaps they will kick the can down the road long enough for more effective treatments to arrive. So far they have done a far better job in protecting their citizens than most other free democratic government led states have managed. We're not talking some kind of Hollywood dystopian movie here that comparison is simply facile.

• Like 4

Well the testing process for me has seemingly failed.

I got a test as someone I met with last Friday developed symptoms and was admitted to hospital. The doctors there said it was likely coronavirus and he was to get a test the following day. In the mean time, as a precaution due to me working in a school I got a test.

48 hours have now passed without me receiving my results, whilst in the meantime my friends results have come back negative. 

Due to my circumstances I don’t need to self isolate as my reason for testing wasn’t based on symptoms merely a concern that I was in contact with a suspected case. But in context of the wider picture, surely, were I to be positive, hasn’t the window to trace my contacts now passed?

2 hours ago, Fktf said:

I think it was, no? Didn't they give the police a huge amount of power, and have crazy fines?

But then in a crisis I think you need that style of leadership - someone to really get a hold of things and make sure the plan they have is actually carried out.

From Wikipedia:

Totalitarian regimes are often characterized by extensive political repression, a complete lack of democracy, widespread personality cultism, absolute control over the economy, massive censorship, mass surveillance, limited freedom of movement (most notably freedom to leave the country) and widespread use of state terrorism. Other aspects of a totalitarian regime include the use of concentration camps, repressive secret police, religious persecution or state atheism, the common practice of executions, fraudulent elections (if they take place), possible possession of weapons of mass destruction and potentially state-sponsored mass murder and genocides. Historian Robert Conquest describes a totalitarian state as one which recognizes no limit on its authority in any sphere of public or private life and it extends that authority to whatever length is feasible.[1]

Lets go through these:

• Political repression - no they are still a functioning democracy and the lockdown was passed in parliament
  • Lack of democracy - no
  • Cultism - no
  • Control over economy - not in the sense it is meant here 0
  • Censorship - no
  • Freedom of movement - yes, temporary
  • Mass surveillance - yes, temporary
  • Concentration camps - no, the isolation centres are hotels and people have freely escaped
  • Secret police - no
  • Religious persecution - no
  • Executions - no
  • Fraudulent Elections - no
  • WMDs & State Terrorism - no
  • Mass murder, genocide - no

It's a term that people like to band about, but its objectively not totalitarian. And what sets this apart more than anything else is that the measures are temporary and clearly for the benefit of society as a whole.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, simFox said:

Those two countries are fairly unique in that they are populous island states so have a better chance of eradicating the virus than almost any other country as they have no land borders. They'll probably learn again from this current lockdown, and improve strategies for dealing with outbreaks. If they didn't deal with the outbreak after managing to practically eradicated at huge expense to the economy and people's wellbeing they'd be absolutely vilified.

Yes dystopian films depict population control. That doesn't mean all forms of population control are dystopian.

20 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/national/18647883.study-suggests-6-people-england-covid-19/

Take it with a pinch of salt but another interesting antibody study.

I thought that the estimate from previous studies was somewhere between 5 and 10% ?  So 8 do t understand the surprise in the article 

and if these tests were done in late June/July, then surely many people who had a mild case back in March/April may well not show antibodies ? 

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

Anything mentioned about Leicester lockdown yet

Supposed to be reviewed every two weeks. Which technically is today, but thinking about how late everything was announced last week, maybe they'll announce it tomorrow.

Which means a tweet at 1 am Saturday morning.