Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

With Laporte and Mahrez adding to growing list of positive cases in footballers and athletes in general, it is interesting that (as far as I know) very few have shown any symptoms or have been severely ill.
From a purely medical standpoint is there any significant differences between athletes and normal healthy young adults when it comes to dealing with the virus?
It seems to me that the answer to that is probably not, obviously increased lung capacity etc but surely that’s unlikely to be the difference between a bit of a sniffle and hospital admission.

14 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

With Laporte and Mahrez adding to growing list of positive cases in footballers and athletes in general, it is interesting that (as far as I know) very few have shown any symptoms or have been severely ill.
From a purely medical standpoint is there any significant differences between athletes and normal healthy young adults when it comes to dealing with the virus?
It seems to me that the answer to that is probably not, obviously increased lung capacity etc but surely that’s unlikely to be the difference between a bit of a sniffle and hospital admission.

The two biggest risk factors for severe covid are age and obesity and two things footballers aren’t are old and obese. Even despite this talk of ‘long Covid’, they all seem to be back in training after the quarantine period with no ill effects.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

The two biggest risk factors for severe covid are age and obesity and two things footballers aren’t are old and obese. Even despite this talk of ‘long Covid’, they all seem to be back in training after the quarantine period with no ill effects.

Profi sportspeople,are tending to Keep in bubbles,or planned enviroments....

Young Mr joe Blogs....has only  to Face the Open  hard cruel Core world....with Heroes protecting us from the Audacity of Face-masks and Social distancing.

Soon we will be free of the world of obvious patience, prudence & Common sense....

3 hours ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

This study is particularly interesting, as asymptomatic athletes were included in this group and some of them also showed heart inflammation - being asymptomatic doesn’t equate to a lack of long term effects, they may just not be visible yet.

The truth is, no one knows what all the long term effects are yet. This ‘long Covid’ stuff was being discussed in April by NHS staff who were the first to get infected and were still getting fevers after months, but this has only come to general awareness much more recently. I’m seeing many now report random burning smells emerging about 3-4 months after initial infection. 

It will be interesting to follow what happens this season with the PL players who tested positive and had mild/no symptoms - whether they are able to play at their usual intensity or if we might see them play less mins that we would otherwise expect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, brucey said:

This study is particularly interesting, as asymptomatic athletes were included in this group and some of them also showed heart inflammation - being asymptomatic doesn’t equate to a lack of long term effects, they may just not be visible yet.

The truth is, no one knows what all the long term effects are yet. This ‘long Covid’ stuff was being discussed in April by NHS staff who were the first to get infected and were still getting fevers after months, but this has only come to general awareness much more recently. I’m seeing many now report random burning smells emerging about 3-4 months after initial infection. 

It will be interesting to follow what happens this season with the PL players who tested positive and had mild/no symptoms - whether they are able to play at their usual intensity or if we might see them play less mins that we would otherwise expect.

The younger generations seem to suffer disproportionately from the smell/taste issue. There is much evidence emerging that the nerve damage done by the virus can affect these senses for months afterwards as the nerve begins to repair where it’s been damaged . This nerve is the only nerve we have which does regrow. And the cutting edge research shows that as it regrows, it’s the bad smells which take precedence as a throwback to our evolution where it was vital to smell bad things to survive ...it’s too early to know just how long the effects can last for ......but the side effects are very difficult to live with 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lionator said:

I wonder if long covid is to be the new ME? (Not me, for clarity I meant  chronic fatigue syndrome)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, brucey said:

Wow, could be a lot of shortened careers then if that’s the case.

1 minute ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Wow, could be a lot of shortened careers then if that’s the case.

Or the inflammation could all be temporary and leaves them perfectly fine - no one knows.

But given the possibility, and the fact that players are assets worth tens of millions, you can see why clubs and FAs are cracking down hard on these players exposing themselves (and therefore their teammates) unnecessarily.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, brucey said:

I think these results were dismissed by the scientific community for several reasons. 1) there was no control group to compare the 30-35% of enlarged hearts to 2) american footballers have bigger hearts due to fitness/probable steroid use. 

Not dismissing the potential consequences but I wouldn't read too much into it. Also EPL players get regular ECG and echocardiograms so they'd easily be able to tell if something was up.

Can anyone explain to me the logic behind quarantining when returning from abroad? 

It's not as though we don't have many cases and going abroad increases chances of bringing the virus back to our shores. I'm only as likely, if not less likely, to catch it at a Greek island as I am in Manchester, a 'high risk' area, surely? 

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Can anyone explain to me the logic behind quarantining when returning from abroad? 

It's not as though we don't have many cases and going abroad increases chances of bringing the virus back to our shores. I'm only as likely, if not less likely, to catch it at a Greek island as I am in Manchester, a 'high risk' area, surely? 

I can't explain any of it anymore. 

16 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Good to see the media spreading more fear, get the population nice and scared going into the flu season. 

Still no idea what the governments plan is, past blaming young people and being about as reactionary as a match day thread.

The young people who definitely don't spread it - they've done the research, y'know.

15 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Good to see the media spreading more fear, get the population nice and scared going into the flu season. 

Still no idea what the governments plan is, past blaming young people and being about as reactionary as a match day thread.

My son and daughter are off school and it’s very likely just a cold. The whole household now is in lockdown effectively though for 2 weeks. The nearest test centre ( we are in Kent) that we can use is in Essex and it’s only sporadically operational

i made a few calls yesterday since we need a test and have now been told that a test is being sent for my daughter ( I have 2 poorly children ?? ). I would think it’s best all 5 of us be tested. In any case it’s extremely likely this is the usual back to school ‘cold’ and apparently that’s overwhelmed the test centres which had got used to an easy and quiet existence so many simply stopped operating ??? One in Ashford Kent popped us as available for a brief period yesterday but disappeared after around half hour. 

20 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Honest question - is the UK testing infrastructure really as woeful as it is being described here?

That's not exactly great - it's not like the powers that be haven't had time to get their act together by now.

Basically yes. It is essentially unpredictable. Can be good can be hopeless depending on where you live. Government as usual can't organise anything properly. They come out with high asspirations which they never meet.

trouble is have doubled in 24 hours. Also the reopening of schools has led to parents demanding tests when their kids have a snuffle etc (quite understandably) and this has added further to the problem. Maybe the last two days are oddities but I highly doubt it. Fully expect us to be at France levels of infection within 10-14 days. Hospitalisation is creeping up but so far only slowly. Let's hope we can keep those levels low.

The level of infection is now endemic across the country and no longer confined to certain areas making test and trace almost impossible. Even where I live, very rural, the infection rate is now at 19 per 100k.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brucey said:

This is the same with the flu though. I know of 2 people who have had really bad bouts of flu, one nearly died to be fair, but made it through, and the other had a really bad case. The one who nearly died went for scans etc. Said that he has long term heart problems because of it, the other lad never had any scans but says his stamina and breathing sometimes feel different.

We don't know enough to compare the figures, but it's not a new thing for a virus to have some lasting damage on yourself, even if it is a few months or longer.

4 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

There's definitely a weird hope for a second wave, just so that they can proved "right". 

The government's polarised leading of this pandemic has generated this - the 'we're right in the face of facts' attitude has generated resentment in some quarters that are hoping for the metaphorical bloody nose. Both sides of that coin are particularly idiotic.