Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

4 hours ago, reynard said:

Basically yes. It is essentially unpredictable. Can be good can be hopeless depending on where you live. Government as usual can't organise anything properly. They come out with high asspirations which they never meet.

trouble is have doubled in 24 hours. Also the reopening of schools has led to parents demanding tests when their kids have a snuffle etc (quite understandably) and this has added further to the problem. Maybe the last two days are oddities but I highly doubt it. Fully expect us to be at France levels of infection within 10-14 days. Hospitalisation is creeping up but so far only slowly. Let's hope we can keep those levels low.

The level of infection is now endemic across the country and no longer confined to certain areas making test and trace almost impossible. Even where I live, very rural, the infection rate is now at 19 per 100k.

15 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Not for me - I booked a test on the Saturday afternoon - had the test on the Sunday morning 10:30am the results came through Sunday night / Monday morning 03:30am but that wouldn't make for good printing i guess.

To add i used a Mobile test centre which was set up over the w/end 3min drive from my front door, although there were 2 other main stations set up no more than 15-20mins drive away.

Mixed/spotty reviews, then. Thank you.

Down to a little over 100 cases nationwide yesterday and today over here - hopefully that'll continue to drop.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Mixed/spotty reviews, then. Thank you.

Down to a little over 100 cases nationwide yesterday and today over here - hopefully that'll continue to drop.

Same for my old man and mother, tested Sunday morning, results by Monday 1pm.

It seems recently in the last few days the testing has started to become a problem, not sure why.

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

This is a bit confusing as they reckon there is plenty of testing capacity but they can't process the results quick enough, which seems a bit odd to announce that all of a sudden after the government being able to produce figures on a daily basis. I think the British public are being mushroomed by an inept government that are clueless when it comes to managing a country. Latest advice is for young people to use an added degree of common sense this autumn which, as i remember from my youth, was to make sure you didn't give her your last name.

But a lot of testing centres seem not to be operating. There are NONE in Kent. Quite a lot of people live in Kent.

'Go to Essex, you will have to wait but might get seen'.

I hear Germany only test up to 30 cycles, whilst we were testing to 40. So we are more likely to magnify dead fragments of virus DNA triggering a false positive.

US has the same problem as UK, to put this into perspective, if the US carried out the same testing as Germany, 70-90% would be negative in many cases. Could explain a few things.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

But a lot of testing centres seem not to be operating. There are NONE in Kent. Quite a lot of people live in Kent.

Probably why there's only 9 cases per 100000 in kent

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

When you say 19 per 100k in a rural area, what is the actual raw data. The reason i ask is because this per 100,000  measure we've been using can be very misleading when someone takes a first glance. If there's 10000 people that live there, which isn't very rural in my eyes, that means 2 people have caught it.

That's a good point and a good question.Numbers will be low but the rate has doubled in the last week. Might be a blip hopefully but I think it is safe to say that infection is now more widespread geographically as well as in numbers than a few weeks ago which makes track and testing more difficult to manage.

Edited by reynard

4 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Apparently, when they calculate your nearest test centre, it's as the crow flies. So if you live in Sheerness, you're likely to get sent to Southend, only 8 miles away... across the Thames Estuary. In reality that's a drive into London to use the Dartford tunnel/bridge and a 120 mile round trip.

• Like 1

On 07/09/2020 at 16:43, Lionator said:

3000 again today. Daily hospitalisations are also starting to increase quite rapidly according to the government PHE page. 

I think we would have been fine with shops open with masks, 2m distance, and any business that cannot operate with 2m and masks shut (yes sorry hospitality sector).  Now it doesnt look good going forward, something will have to give in the months to come.  As much as people are to be determined to keep been allowed to go out for a drink and sending their kids to school, no minister will allow the NHS to collapse for it.

The local lockdown feels like it doesnt matter now.

Edited by Chrysalis

8 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Asif people are actually gonna listen to this anymore. 

It is a bit hard to take serious when its business as usual in hospitality.  Although I do wonder who approved it to be 30 in the first place, thats a very high number, I thought it was set to something that fit common sense.

1 hour ago, MonmoreStef said:

The amount of parents on social media claiming to be terrified for their children’s safety with the cases being reported in schools beggars beliefs.  Their children are more likely to die travelling to school and having an accident, than what they are from the virus, yet the amount of parents claiming the kids are being treated like guinea pigs and their lives being put at risk etc as shocked me.  It’s seems the coronaphobs have got a second wind and are back being scared of leaving the house. 

I agree, Stef, but every parent I know doesn't seem to give two hoots. In fact, I'd wager most would still send the kids to school even if 50 kids there were riddled with it. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

It is a bit hard to take serious when its business as usual in hospitality.  Although I do wonder who approved it to be 30 in the first place, thats a very high number, I thought it was set to something that fit common sense.

Where you getting your allowed 30 people in ya house, 2 households can meet in 1 house 

9 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Exactly. Nobody's taken any notice of these bizarre, arbitrary rules for months.

Indoors.. outdoors. Downstairs loos. bubbles. Households. Meet only by accident in pubs. Codes of conduct.  If anyone is actually taking notice of this they must be doolally.

Wear a mask. Wash your hands. Respect people's personal space. That's all that should be reasonably asked for

Which is what my wife has always maintained. or In her words, wash your hands you dirty bleeders!

How can we run out of soap? Does that mean all of a sudden people have taken to washing their hands, or in other words, does that mean people didn’t wash their hands before all this came about.

14 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Which is what my wife has always maintained. or In her words, wash your hands you dirty bleeders!

How can we run out of soap? Does that mean all of a sudden people have taken to washing their hands, or in other words, does that mean people didn’t wash their hands before all this came about.

Every weekend in the bogs, whether it's pubs, KP stadium or restaurants, I always see blokes not wash their hands. Same pre-lockdown when I was at work but nipped into the supermarket for some food and a toilet break, never underestimate the amount of dirty bastards out there.

Just now, Chrysalis said:

The bbc news article I read from says they considering reducing from 30 to 6.

I think you’ll find they have got their information wrong, you were never allowed 30 people in ya house during this, when has anyone had 30 people in their house outside of this, why would they pick 30 as the number.

its always been, from when allowed that is, 2 households.

30 people meeting in outdoor space and weddings but not house

22 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Announcement later and new rules from Monday 

the idea is to make it easier for the police to break up gatherings by restricting the allowed number to six 

Take alcohol of the shelves for 6 weeks, the virus will soon disappear. But make sure we have a few days notice though

• Like 1
  • Sad 1