Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

On 20/09/2020 at 08:24, stix said:

So you’re suggesting that one of either myself or my wife just give up on our careers then? Just walk away and become a stay at home parent. 

I am suggesting I dont like the new both parents working culture, not aimed at you specifically but rather a society change, as I said people will resist it as people dont like change.  I hope you not offended by my comment and just accept it as an opinion.  Because people tend to get offended by political opinions I may restrict my future comments in here to just comments on the covid news and not opinion's anymore.

With that said, sudden change overnight is not necessarily practical, it would need to be a gradual change in society, so my opinion on kids having to attend school, in the past we had it for critical workers only, I would perhaps see it been for both parents working only, so any household which has a parent not working, the kids could still have supervised teaching.  Even that is better than just sending everyone back.

---

Also related to schools (not in direct responce to stix), I read a school very near me, had to send 120 kids home, because of an infection, my question to anyone who works at schools is that a very large bubble? I expected bubbles to be limited to maybe 30-60 children.  Also in another school after a teacher was tested positive, an entire year was sent home, that seems very large as well.

Finally more and more reports of packet out school buses, and children not even all wearing masks, the drivers rightfully are concerned for themselves in such a situation.  The government are refusing to legislate to protect them, but one thing no one has picked up on is the fact bubbles are not in play on school transport, so you will have kids from different bubbles close to each other on buses.

Edited by Chrysalis

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Their response to the virus was done to a military level. They totally quarantined Wuhan, the region where the virus outbreak originated stopping anyone going in or out for months. They literally welded door shut to prevent people from leaving their houses. This all sounded horrific when such stories were circulating in January but now we are experiencing the full force of the pandemic it becomes easy to see why such drastic action was taken. They realised the severity of the virus early on, even if they tried to hide it from the outside world. They also have a track and trace program that everyone must download and use and that is proven to work. Before you go anywhere, you must show your phone and app to show that you are cleared to enter, etc.

The thing to remember though is in China civil liberties that we are accustomed to in the West don't exist. They have the powers to act like a Police state when needed and did things like silence the original scientist that reported the virus was a huge global threat as a result. That means they can act very quickly and decisively but also means that if you don't like the CCP message, you can be effectively removed from existence. So whilst they were able to avoid the dithering, arguing and incompetence that has been seen throughout the western world, the question is - at what cost?

Our government's response has been truly terrible though. Only the US have done a worse job. Tonight's announcement to work from home if you can is quite literally the opposite message to this time last month when we were actively being encouraged to go back.

Yeah the working from hone U turn is embarrassing, what made that especially bad is that ministers were actively telling workers to go back to the office, they went in quite hard on that whilst cases were "rising".  I also feel they should have never done the eating out voucher scheme.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

The government really are struggling to manage the situation but then again, wouldn’t we all. There’s no answers and really no end to it simply because we live in a free society. You only have to look at the public response to pubs closing at 10. It’s only up until recently that pub opening times were 11.30-2 and 7-11 and there were far more pubs, is it really such an infringement on our civil libraries. Imagine living somewhere like Cuba with their rules, it’d be go out and we’ll shoot you. I’m am starting to think that the rule should be protect the old, and that doesn’t just mean lock them away and forget about them.

The problem of been a government in a country like the UK, is you have to be wary of public opinion, I expect this has led to decisions they dont think are the best course of action, but are carried out to try and keep people on side.  Not just that either, they are constantly been lobbied by companies.

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

I'm well aware of that, but the Prime Minister is saying there is actual hard evidence for it contributing to the spread. If there is, then I look forward to seeing it.

If no such hard evidence exists, he shouldn't be saying it does.

I would imagine that there isn’t but they are trying different approaches out.

8 minutes ago, Corky said:

Don't get a couple of things- why has indoor sports suddenly become a problem that can't be managed? Why did they increase to 30 people in the first place?

As I said above, I would imagine that they are trying numerous different approaches. Some may work and many won’t given that this is an unprecedented situation. 

For all those that get the hump & take a comment made by a member of government personally,well don't, if you have followed the guidelines to the letter & are cleaner than clean they are not talking about you, they are talking about d1cks like this

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/21/shopper-smashes-two-shelves-of-wine-when-asked-to-follow-coronavirus-rules-13303639/

If its really that bad why don't they just do a full scale lock down for a month then open things back up? If it's heading that way anyway these half baked measures will just delay the inevitable and cause so many problems that will last so much longer that it seems counter productive long term. Also a good friend of mine is having a borderline breakdown at the idea of at least 6 months more of this. I don't want a lockdown but I don't want 6+ months of all this confusing do this, do that nonsense either. If you say to people we are locking down for 1 month, now to end of October, at least businesses could plan for that, the furlough could be ramped up for one month, rather than crippling the economy for 6+ months and leaving the entire population in limbo, affecting millions of peoples mental health. Yes obviously you open up and things just go back, but wouldn't it be better to have 3 months of relative normality, with social distancing and face masks, washing hands etc, followed by 1 month of lockdown twice over a 6 month period than 6 months of fluctuating rules, which with their very half baked nature are likely to result in a full lockdown eventually anyway. 

Even though I've been been vehement on here for months railing against the absurd, contradictory, arbitrary, ever changing rules/guidance/laws....I was hoping the lockdown might be more severe and as such, spike the public to 'take back control' away from this shambles

Treat me.like an adult and I might listen.

But until then,  that fat, posh, egotistical, bumbling, erratic, philandering, condescending c'nt can fack off.

'Heroic Leicester'. Fack off.

29 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

If its really that bad why don't they just do a full scale lock down for a month then open things back up? If it's heading that way anyway these half baked measures will just delay the inevitable and cause so many problems that will last so much longer that it seems counter productive long term. Also a good friend of mine is having a borderline breakdown at the idea of at least 6 months more of this. I don't want a lockdown but I don't want 6+ months of all this confusing do this, do that nonsense either. If you say to people we are locking down for 1 month, now to end of October, at least businesses could plan for that, the furlough could be ramped up for one month, rather than crippling the economy for 6+ months and leaving the entire population in limbo, affecting millions of peoples mental health. Yes obviously you open up and things just go back, but wouldn't it be better to have 3 months of relative normality, with social distancing and face masks, washing hands etc, followed by 1 month of lockdown twice over a 6 month period than 6 months of fluctuating rules, which with their very half baked nature are likely to result in a full lockdown eventually anyway. 

If you shut everything down, even taking out the economic impact, that would suggest the virus is out of control and we're unable to cope. Now that might not be far from the truth anyway, but if it turned out to be way off the mark, the consternation would be massive.

I think, to give them some credit, that attempts now when the weather is ok and people are still out and about before winter hits is the correct move. I'm really not sure what the levels are that will mean a relaxation of the measures because you'd probably need another March-style lockdown and for longer given the weather to achieve it. I think we'll probably go for no household mixing (and hopefully, if it unfortunately comes to it, they actually tell us straight- none of this common sense bollocks) at some point with extended family being exempt.

There are so many factors at play here- it really isn't just people being reckless or stupid at all but they grab the headlines. It is an invisible, non-discriminatory disease and I believe the vast majority are doing their utmost to prevent it spreading. However, as we know, expecting everyone to do the right thing is Utopian thinking, plus you can catch it unwittingly. No easy answer at all.

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Genuine question - why is it not considered offensive to Spaniards to call the pandemic 100 years ago 'Spanish Flu' when it didnt even start in Spain, whereas its offensive to call Covid 19 the Chinese Virus when it started in China?

The Spanish Flu got its name because back then Spain was the only country who was open about it when other countries were trying to cover it up to preserve morale during WWI.  

I guess it would be somehow badge of honour for Spanish that they were honest about it compared to other countries?   

Edited by The Blur
  • Thanks 1