Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

8 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Walk into a pub maybe? 

Stands to reason later in the night the more drunk people are and the more liberal they are with their actions... Surely. :unsure:

That's not actual scientific evidence though is it? Unless the Prime Minister has actual scientific evidence backing this up, he shouldn't be offering it up as a valid explanation.

3 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

That's not actual scientific evidence though is it? Unless the Prime Minister has actual scientific evidence backing this up, he shouldn't be offering it up as a valid explanation.

... The ****? 

It's basic common knowledge that people get more inebriated the more time they spend in a pub.

These restrictions aren't to stop the virus completely, we've shown we can't do that. We're looking for a middle ground, where we can try and keep the economy ticking over without have a zillion covid zombies running the streets. This one is perfect, it let's people carry on going to the pub, but for less time so it should lower the infection rate (even by a little, it doesn't need to stop it) so they can be happy, and all the people that don't want to go to the pub can moan that they are still open so they are happy. 

7 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Maybe, but it's the sweeping generalisation that gets the goat. It's like another way to pin the blame, like teachers and people working at home.

If he'd said: "Analysis of test and trace has seen more than 50% of cases in the last month linked to people who have been in pubs between 8pm-12am, as well as 45% of those self-isolating coming from those in pubs" I'd have understood the initial claim. It just wasn't backed up.

... How much information do you think test and trace asks for? I've visited 6 pubs since reopening, so far 2 of them have asked for my name/address. That's it. :mellow:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

... The ****? 

It's basic common knowledge that people get more inebriated the more time they spend in a pub.

These restrictions aren't to stop the virus completely, we've shown we can't do that. We're looking for a middle ground, where we can try and keep the economy ticking over without have a zillion covid zombies running the streets. This one is perfect, it let's people carry on going to the pub, but for less time so it should lower the infection rate (even by a little, it doesn't need to stop it) so they can be happy, and all the people that don't want to go to the pub can moan that they are still open so they are happy. 

... How much information do you think test and trace asks for? I've visited 6 pubs since reopening, so far 2 of them have asked for my name/address. That's it. :mellow:

I've used T&T via a QR code a couple of times now, and is asked me my name, phone number etc and, importantly how long I'm going to be there for.

If they can't pull of data about people in that time then wtf are they doing? If I tested positive, or needed to self isolate, based on my experience, they could easily extrapolate the place, time of arrival and (approx) duration of stay. Now, the duration might vary, because 3-4 hours might only be 1-2, but it's there, as an option.

The 10pm thing genuinely doesn't bother me that much, mainly because it doesn't affect me. But I would like assertions surrounded in facts. If they can't gather the data to make pinpoint conclusions on hotspots using test and trace, they're doing it wrong imo. They might be absolutely right about drunkards after 10pm, but (and not to get too political on this) why on earth should I trust this government's word based on the 13 months?

8 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

... The ****? 

I'm well aware of that, but the Prime Minister is saying there is actual hard evidence for it contributing to the spread. If there is, then I look forward to seeing it.

If no such hard evidence exists, he shouldn't be saying it does.

I hope there's more information released soon. Saying there could be restrictions for 6 months tells us nothing. Just the same as saying "we're putting our arms around the people".

I'd love to see some proactive thinking and planning, so people know where we're at, where we are going and what the potential possibilities are. I'm getting less confident that they actually have these as time passes though.

At least my next vote will be made a lot easier.  

• Like 1

Work is quiet (shock) so I’m watching a Chinese football match with a full stadium. Nightclubs in China are open as normal as well. I don’t understand how it can be essentially life as normal there. Can anyone offer any explanation as to how they have been able to get to this point? Because I have no idea.

11 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I hope there's more information released soon. Saying there could be restrictions for 6 months tells us nothing. Just the same as saying "we're putting our arms around the people".

I'd love to see some proactive thinking and planning, so people know where we're at, where we are going and what the potential possibilities are. I'm getting less confident that they actually have these as time passes though.

At least my next vote will be made a lot easier.  

I don't think they can do any thinking or planning until they know what they're trying to achieve.  Appearances suggest that they are trying to stop anyone dying of covid and nothing else matters.  But until they can decide what they are trying to achieve, they can't make plans on how to achieve it.

6 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Work is quiet (shock) so I’m watching a Chinese football match with a full stadium. Nightclubs in China are open as normal as well. I don’t understand how it can be essentially life as normal there. Can anyone offer any explanation as to how they have been able to get to this point? Because I have no idea.

Totalitarian police states have much greater power to control their populations.....e.g. by imposing an ultra-severe lockdown and coming down heavily on anyone breaching it?

I'm sure that's not the only reason, but it'll certainly be part of the explanation.

Although reliable info is hard to glean from China, Covid in China seems to have been concentrated in just a few regions, too.

Overall, democracy is a much better system, but totalitarianism has some benefits....

13 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

I guess a number things:

1. We will never know exactly how many deaths they've had.

2. They value their economy a lot more than human life.

3. It's such a vast country, certain areas may still be locked down.

Also, I have a friend who lives there, about 2 hours from Wuhan, he says the tracking system they have is unbelievable. They have an app similar to whatsapp that does it all automatically. 

Edited by Ollie93

Well if this toilet roll nonsense is going to kick off again, this time around I might not bother with it. I'll save myself the stress. 

I'm working from home anyways so what's the point in wiping? No colleagues around to impress by upholding hygiene standards.

It's such an archaic notion that should be left in 2019, IMO. People should be able to feel comfortable smelling like sh*t in the comfort of their own soiled underpants. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I'm well aware of that, but the Prime Minister is saying there is actual hard evidence for it contributing to the spread. If there is, then I look forward to seeing it.

If no such hard evidence exists, he shouldn't be saying it does.

It's blind conjecture dressed up as fact. Borderline unethical.

Besides, everyone knows that the virus is transmitted through press conferences to super-spreaders who pass it to the population.

(It isn't but this is exactly the same - a half baked opinion passed as fact)

15 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Their response to the virus was done to a military level. They totally quarantined Wuhan, the region where the virus outbreak originated stopping anyone going in or out for months. They literally welded door shut to prevent people from leaving their houses. This all sounded horrific when such stories were circulating in January but now we are experiencing the full force of the pandemic it becomes easy to see why such drastic action was taken. They realised the severity of the virus early on, even if they tried to hide it from the outside world. They also have a track and trace program that everyone must download and use and that is proven to work. Before you go anywhere, you must show your phone and app to show that you are cleared to enter, etc.

The thing to remember though is in China civil liberties that we are accustomed to in the West don't exist. They have the powers to act like a Police state when needed and did things like silence the original scientist that reported the virus was a huge global threat as a result. That means they can act very quickly and decisively but also means that if you don't like the CCP message, you can be effectively removed from existence. So whilst they were able to avoid the dithering, arguing and incompetence that has been seen throughout the western world, the question is - at what cost?

Our government's response has been truly terrible though. Only the US have done a worse job. Tonight's announcement to work from home if you can is quite literally the opposite message to this time last month when we were actively being encouraged to go back.

• Like 1

Just now, RoboFox said:

Well if this toilet roll nonsense is going to kick off again, this time around I might not bother with it. I'll save myself the stress. 

I'm working from home anyways so what's the point in wiping? No colleagues around to impress by upholding hygiene standards.

It's such an archaic notion that should be left in 2019, IMO. People should be able to feel comfortable smelling like sh*t in the comfort of their own soiled underpants. 

See this is why dogs have evolved much further as a species than the human race. They don’t have to worry about wiping, just a quick sphincter nip and it’s all over, and if they do get in a bit of bother it’s a quick wipe on the carpet and a human comes along and gives it a good scrub.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I don't think they can do any thinking or planning until they know what they're trying to achieve.  Appearances suggest that they are trying to stop anyone dying of covid and nothing else matters.  But until they can decide what they are trying to achieve, they can't make plans on how to achieve it.

I'd agree, this is why I doubt they have a coherent plan to share that is longer than 2 weeks. Shambles.

9 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Totalitarian police states have much greater power to control their populations.....e.g. by imposing an ultra-severe lockdown and coming down heavily on anyone breaching it?

I'm sure that's not the only reason, but it'll certainly be part of the explanation.

Although reliable info is hard to glean from China, Covid in China seems to have been concentrated in just a few regions, too.

Overall, democracy is a much better system, but totalitarianism has some benefits....

And if you don’t like it, they run you over....with a tank

17 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

All jokes aside, wiping with dry tissue is archaic. Why we don't all have bum guns like the eastern world is astonishing. 

If you step in dog shit you dont wipe it off with dry toilet paper do you.