Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

I wonder if the mass testing in schools in the south is to try to stop those kids infected spreading the virus over Xmas ......... London, Essex, Herts should be going into tier 3 next week but not sure govt have the bottle re London .... I’ve been told that much of Herts issues are around 12/18 year olds .....if London is the same then maybe that why the mass testing of school kids ?? 

Bit disturbing to read this .

Surely they can be helped out to at least provide the vaccine to those who need it most to keep them safe if nothing else.

Sure there isn’t a bottomless pit of money  and not everyone will want or need it but for many having it might make a big difference to their lives.

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:
Bit disturbing to read this .

Surely they can be helped out to at least provide the vaccine to those who need it most to keep them safe if nothing else.

Sure there isn’t a bottomless pit of money  and not everyone will want or need it but for many having it might make a big difference to their lives.

Why do we need a doctor to administer the vaccination, I’ve always been inoculated by a nurse , surely there could be nuses outside th KP and give us a quick **** at the turnstiles 

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Why do we need a doctor to administer the vaccination, I’ve always been inoculated by a nurse , surely there could be nuses outside th KP and give us a quick **** at the turnstiles 

I think the problem might be that while the doctors are in their sealed surgeries seeing the bare minimum of patients, the practice nurses have been doing all their normal work and then some extra.  That's how it seemed to work in my doctor's surgery anyway.

9 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I have heard the Army might get involved.

I know money is tight and staff numbers low but they will have to try and get the vaccine out otherwise we will have areas of the country that might never improve rates wise.

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

About the same as the UK, mostly. Below zero happens, anything under 10 below zero is pretty rare.

Now I’ve asked, I don’t know whether to find that encouraging or discouraging.

Encouraging because it show rates can be kept low even despite the long nights and cold weather.

Discouraging because the west shows little sign of managing it.

23 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Now I’ve asked, I don’t know whether to find that encouraging or discouraging.

Encouraging because it show rates can be kept low even despite the long nights and cold weather.

Discouraging because the west shows little sign of managing it.

Even with the current jump, it is doing better per capita than a great many places, so yes.

To be honest though, IMO the key was keeping the rate low from the very beginning (or going for serious lockdown policy as per Aus). Most of the Western nations weren't ready and couldn't do this.

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

What is it with Leicester and Leicestershire, it's been in tier 3 forever and yet it won't be receiving mass community testing to help get it out of tier 3.

Two things.

First, I don't see how a continuous lockdown since March has actually helped.  Second, how is mass testing going to help now we're in an endemic phase when the main mechanism in place since March hasn't either?

Three BMJ documents well worth a read...

Mass testing for covid-19 in the UK | The BMJ - "an unevaluated, underdesigned, and costly mess"

Conflicts of interest among the UK government’s covid-19 advisers | The BMJ - quoting Vallance's slice of £600k in GlaxoSmithKline and a lack of financial transparency amongst others in SAGE

Lateral flow tests cannot rule out SARS-CoV-2 infection | The BMJ - lateral flow testing is ineffective

Total shambles.

Edited by Legend_in_blue
  • Like 2

On 10/12/2020 at 19:30, Legend_in_blue said:

We've gone from kids are in no way responsible for transmitting a virus to lets test everyone in a school 15 weeks later.

This govt are clueless.  So misinformed and they continue with a flawed narrative that they will not divert away from.

There's no end to this.  Someone explain where there is one because I don't see how this govt can sort this mess out.

well it was a bit daft to let all kids go school they are the most likely to spread it than any adult.

it's a mockery

40 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

well it was a bit daft to let all kids go school they are the most likely to spread it than any adult.

it's a mockery

But they said kids don't get it and even if they do they don't spread it. 

The government wouldn't lie to the population during a pandemic would they 

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

But they said kids don't get it and even if they do they don't spread it. 

The government wouldn't lie to the population during a pandemic would they 

Did they? I thought that was just a myth pushed around by idiots, as far as I'm aware to government only ever said young people were unlikely to develop serious symptoms from the virus. It's blatantly obvious any living human can catch it and spread it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

it's a mockery

If kids were good at spreading this then all schools would have shut down weeks ago ........ there wouldn’t be any staff or pupils to attend as they would all be infected .......

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

If kids were good at spreading this then all schools would have shut down weeks ago ........ there wouldn’t be any staff or pupils to attend as they would all be infected .......

Well we don't know if that is what has actually happened either way do we as the testing and tracing system is on it's arse 

5 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Well we don't know if that is what has actually happened either way do we as the testing and tracing system is on it's arse 

Probably worth testing all school kids to see if they have actually had any previous exposure - as you say we have no idea !   Now probably not the time but eventually would be useful information for covid -20 ! 

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

Did they say that? Everyone I know that's got it got it from a child.

Surely it’s Assumes they got it from a child can we honestly say it wasn’t from a escalator rail, a shopping trolley, a tin of beans, another adult in the household, it only takes someone to have the briefest of touches on something to pick up the virus.

I guess it’s possible that all these people are house bound and looked after by their school aged children and have received no outside contact at all and therefore by process of elimination it must be the kids.

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

Did they say that? Everyone I know that's got it got it from a child.

Williamson said there was no statistical evidence transmission happened in classrooms. I'm at the gym else I'd find the article but the implication was clear - kids are of no risk. 

Of course thars absolute horse shit.