Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

On 11/12/2020 at 21:02, st albans fox said:

I wonder if the mass testing in schools in the south is to try to stop those kids infected spreading the virus over Xmas ......... London, Essex, Herts should be going into tier 3 next week but not sure govt have the bottle re London .... I’ve been told that much of Herts issues are around 12/18 year olds .....if London is the same then maybe that why the mass testing of school kids ?? 

Its quite amusing, when the north gets it its "you not behaving" now its in the south they are actually starting to think a bit more.

Dover is the highest LA on the list currently.

Edited by Chrysalis

4 hours ago, Charl91 said:

I'm currently off work with covid (a teacher). My partner (also a teacher) is also currently off work with covid. My class has had at least 7 covid cases. They've all gone home and given it to their families. In school, 1 case quickly turns into 50 cases.

As I've said many a time on here, it's not possible to distance in schools, because classrooms are too small, and the numbers are too big. Kids are sat 50cm away from each other, but it's ok, because they're "all facing the front" lol

I hope you and your partner are having a mild reaction and that you recover quickly.

My niece, her husband (both teachers) and one of their children all have it currently. Fortunately both are around 40 so not seriously in danger, though they seem to be having a rather unpleasant experience.

Do older teachers get the option to stay at home?

Edited by WigstonWanderer

3 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I hope you and your partner are having a mild reaction and that you recover quickly.

My niece, her husband (both teachers) and one of their children all have it currently. Fortunately both are around 40 so not seriously in danger, though they seem to be having a rather unpleasant experience.

Do older teachers get the option to stay at home?

Nope, sadly they don't. I know a lot of the older teachers get very stressed about it, understandably.

I've not had symptmoms long, but reckon it should be fairly mild for me. My partner has it worse (since she's asthmatic), but even so, we're both young enough that it shouldn't be a problem at least.

30 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

Nope, sadly they don't. I know a lot of the older teachers get very stressed about it, understandably.

I've not had symptmoms long, but reckon it should be fairly mild for me. My partner has it worse (since she's asthmatic), but even so, we're both young enough that it shouldn't be a problem at least.

Wow, that’s truly shocking. It’s one thing to put yourself into harm’s way if that’s part of the deal (like armed services for example), entirely another thing to suddenly have risk imposed upon you with no recourse.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

6 hours ago, Charl91 said:

I'm currently off work with covid (a teacher). My partner (also a teacher) is also currently off work with covid. My class has had at least 7 covid cases. They've all gone home and given it to their families. In school, 1 case quickly turns into 50 cases.

As I've said many a time on here, it's not possible to distance in schools, because classrooms are too small, and the numbers are too big. Kids are sat 50cm away from each other, but it's ok, because they're "all facing the front" lol

they must want the virus to spread around they can't be that concerned having left schools open all this time knowing full well they can spread it, does make you wonder what the agenda is behind all this.

@Charl91 Interested to know your thoughts on whether you think schools should have been re-opened they way they have been? To me, it seems obvious they would just be a "spread-fest" for the virus, but I also don't think kids should be going without school, the impact that could have on them is huge. Curious as to what the views are of people on the ground as it were!

Apparently London is going to be moved into Tier 3 on Wednesday, or at least parts of it anyway (if they decide to split it up).

Another 67 local authorities getting mass testing, Leicester not included, why aren't we included in anything?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/first-wave-of-targeted-tier-3-community-testing-initiatives-announced

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I am so bloody sick of people saying stuff like "my nan got covid from a schoolchild BUT LETS CLOSE ALL THE PUBS" as though they're making a deeply relevant point.  If you haven't grasped the logic behind schools and pubs being subjected to different standards by now then you're too stupid for your own good, stop writing, sit on your hands and wait for an actual grown up with critical thinking skills to tell you what to do.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Wow, that’s truly shocking. It’s one thing to put yourself into harm’s way if that’s part of the deal (like armed services for example), entirely another thing to suddenly have risk imposed upon you with no recourse.

Like all the checkout ladies in the supermarkets on minimum wage.

• Like 2

We've been getting preferential treatment since day 1 so its only fair we're going into tier 3 if most of the north is already there.

Saying that, I'm self isolating until leaving the capital a few days before Xmas to see family so I doubt it will make a difference to me, its the hospitality industry I feel for.

On 13/12/2020 at 14:30, Buce said:

The problem with that is one of poverty. What are kids whose parents can't afford a laptop plus broadband supposed to do?

Schools are providing them, at least my daughter's school has, and it wasn't means tested merely that she will need one as all the others in the household are already in use. Regarding broadband I don't know.