Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

5 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

It's a matter of degree of risk.  As Auberon Waugh once said, there is nothing worth giving up for the sake of two more years in a nursing home.  You can increase your life expactancy by giving up driving and never going more than walking distance from your home - but is it worth it?

There is no doubt that old people can increase their life expectancy by pretending they don't have grandchildren and never seeing them.  Many grandparents are willing to take that risk.

Life is for living.  I don’t see being tucked away doing nothing as much of a life. I’m fed up after 9 months of this shit but my parents feel it’s turning into the biggest waste of a year they’ll ever have. Being told it’s not safe to do what they love doing is ageing them faster than it should. Creating memories is what they want to do. Watching tv doesn’t create anything to look back at fondly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Its probably not that out of the ordinary is it seeing as there are potential side effects to every drug under the sun.

What happened to the dreaded 6 needles that everyone had at school to test for allergic reactions before getting inoculated.

10 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

Life is for living.  I don’t see being tucked away doing nothing as much of a life. I’m fed up after 9 months of this shit but my parents feel it’s turning into the biggest waste of a year they’ll ever have. Being told it’s not safe to do what they love doing is ageing them faster than it should. Creating memories is what they want to do. Watching tv doesn’t create anything to look back at fondly. 

Again, agreed that this is a pretty general sentiment, and it shows that sometimes humans have a blind spot in the forethought department. I wonder if that's an evolutionary thing?

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

Isn't this because they don't know how long immunity of the vaccine against COVID lasts? So if someone gets the vaccine and goes back to normal, then a few months down the line the immunity is weakened and they're hugging like there's no tomorrow, and they get COVID, are we not just back to square one? 

I don't blame them for still being cautious. It's a brand new vaccine. Yes it has been tested and regulated but it's still in the world of the unknown as to how long it can protect you for. 

If they said go back to normal life, we'll be saying 'why did they tell us to go back to normal when they didn't know how long we are immune for?' 

Until they know for certain, they'll continue to proceed with caution and give out the warnings about masks and socially distancing. 

That's also the reason why I don't like them putting a date on these things...' back to normal by Easter... We'll have a great summer...'. How do they know? How do Johnson and Hancock (as they were the ones that said it) know this? Their track record of overpromising and under-delivering works heavily against them when they come out with stuff like this? 

We're not going to have everyone vaccinated by the end of winter anyway, where the most damage would be.

The benefit of herd immunity will coincide with the changing of the seasons, by which point there will be a steep decline in cases anyway.

If we're seeing the effectiveness of the vaccine wear off as we head into summer, the numbers will be small enough that we can just learn from it and adjust plans without the need to bring in restrictions. At which point we can start to make plans about what a continuous vaccination program might look like. Or perhaps a vaccine with longer lasting immunity and/or effectiveness may become available.

The logical thing to do is to open the floodgates once the critical point of vaccinations is reached, but I fear that a fear of liability will stop this from happening and getting out the other side of this mess will be more drawn out than necessary.

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

People are focusing on all the possible side effects of this new vaccine and "not knowing what's going into their bodies", but seem to readily forget ibuprofen and paracetamol have some nasty ass potential side effects. Just as people will take anaesthetic for dental appointments, when really we have very little idea how it actually works.  

The same people who'll happily drink a bottle of Lambrini before going out on a night out, and eating whatever £5 buys them at 3am from wherever is open on the way home

8 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

The same people who'll happily drink a bottle of Lambrini before going out on a night out, and eating whatever £5 buys them at 3am from wherever is open on the way home

Are you suggesting Las Vegas Fish Bar is potentially hazardous to health?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nod.E said:

We're not going to have everyone vaccinated by the end of winter anyway, where the most damage would be.

The benefit of herd immunity will coincide with the changing of the seasons, by which point there will be a steep decline in cases anyway.

If we're seeing the effectiveness of the vaccine wear off as we head into summer, the numbers will be small enough that we can just learn from it and adjust plans without the need to bring in restrictions. At which point we can start to make plans about what a continuous vaccination program might look like. Or perhaps a vaccine with longer lasting immunity and/or effectiveness may become available.

The logical thing to do is to open the floodgates once the critical point of vaccinations is reached, but I fear that a fear of liability will stop this from happening and getting out the other side of this mess will be more drawn out than necessary.

Honestly, it only matters in terms of large events I think like night clubs or sport matches. Offices will decide after a while it's alright to go back themselves. The rest, individuals will start overuling government advice once they've been vaccinated.

I think on an individual level, the second their 14 day delay after their 2nd injection to get into their system is up, most will be happy to take risks they haven't since March like going on holiday or going on public transport or visiting friends/family who've also been vaccinated. Probably many will stop wearing masks once they've been vaccinated too.

I think, regardless of what the government does, we'll see more and more people return to basically normal as they each get their own individual vaccine.

Edited by Sampson

5 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

What happened to the dreaded 6 needles that everyone had at school to test for allergic reactions before getting inoculated.

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

That was a immunity test for Tuberculosis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaf_test

Yes the Heaf test was. One of the few non-surgical medical processes that a child had that left a permanent scar. Then there was the BCG inoculation and the thing you had on a lump of sugar, whatever that was. I'm talking 1965 or thereabouts.

If anyone is asked to use the postal service to get a coronavirus test done don't even bother.

Monday 23th November, well over two weeks ago, I was unwell and I called my doctors surgery and asked for a telephone consultation. They called back within the hour and as I expected diagnosed a kidney infection. They asked me to call back if there had been no improvement after three days. However they also asked me to get a coronavirus test done just to be on the safe side if they needed to see me. 

Because I did not feel well enough to drive or walk into town I opted for the postal test.

The test kit arrived the next day. They have to be registered online and I couldn't do this as the relevant part of the gov.uk website was permanently down. So I had to wait my turn and register over the phone. Do the test and get a neighbour to pop it in the post.

Over two weeks later I still haven't had the result back. All that time I have been stuck at home and relying on the neighbours to get me a bit of shopping when I wanted it.

If there had been no tests available and I was told to self-isolate I would have been well past the fourteen day quarantine period by now!!!

Is this Hancock's world-beating system???

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Yes the Heaf test was. One of the few non-surgical medical processes that a child had that left a permanent scar. Then there was the BCG inoculation and the thing you had on a lump of sugar, whatever that was. I'm talking 1965 or thereabouts.

Polio.

27 minutes ago, The Fox Covert said:

If anyone is asked to use the postal service to get a coronavirus test done don't even bother.

Monday 23th November, well over two weeks ago, I was unwell and I called my doctors surgery and asked for a telephone consultation. They called back within the hour and as I expected diagnosed a kidney infection. They asked me to call back if there had been no improvement after three days. However they also asked me to get a coronavirus test done just to be on the safe side if they needed to see me. 

Because I did not feel well enough to drive or walk into town I opted for the postal test.

The test kit arrived the next day. They have to be registered online and I couldn't do this as the relevant part of the gov.uk website was permanently down. So I had to wait my turn and register over the phone. Do the test and get a neighbour to pop it in the post.

Over two weeks later I still haven't had the result back. All that time I have been stuck at home and relying on the neighbours to get me a bit of shopping when I wanted it.

If there had been no tests available and I was told to self-isolate I would have been well past the fourteen day quarantine period by now!!!

Is this Hancock's world-beating system???

Did you/do you have coronavirus symptoms that has meant you needed to self isolate? Unless you’re shielding yourself or aren’t well enough to leave the house then you don’t have to stay at home. 

I know that wasn’t the point of your post, but you shouldn’t be isolating if you don’t need to. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Parafox said:

Also, as an incidental, this was the background to Mary Poppins “A Spoonful of Sugar” which made “the medicine go down”

4 hours ago, Parafox said:

Polio I think.

Edit: Really should read to the end of the thread before replying.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

On 09/12/2020 at 00:12, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/08/v-day-watershed-moment-may-have-wear-masks-another-year/7

'The public may have to wear masks for another year, despite a “watershed moment” beginning Britain’s national vaccination programme, Sir Patrick Vallance has said.'

We'll end up wearing masks for a long time yet, as well as social distancing IMO. **** sake just gets the clubs open, I've had enough, genuinely been an horrific year:nono:

So utterly ridiculous I can barely believe it's true. 

4 minutes ago, bmt said:

Again the media generated hysteria about allergic reactions yesterday is beyond belief. I have come to absolutely despise the media/journalism this year.

Yep - and potentially damaging to public health, as large numbers of people are already paranoid or at least a bit hesitant/dubious about taking the vaccine.

For anyone who didn't hear, the 2 NHS workers who had an allergic reaction to the vaccine both had a history of serious allergic reactions to other things, to the extent that they both carried adrenaline pens around with them.

It obviously makes sense to warn off that tiny minority who might be at risk, but a tiny minority of such allergic reactions are commonplace with most vaccinations, including the flu jab. 

• Like 4