Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Cases rising, the measures that we have aren't really that effective, yet still ploughing on with plans to let people mix indoors for 5 days. Meanwhile all the outdoor facilities set up by businesses remain empty because apparently they aren't safe to be open, even though evidence shows there is very little risk of transmission outdoors. The car crash continues. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Apparently London is going to be moved into Tier 3 on Wednesday, or at least parts of it anyway (if they decide to split it up).

Another 67 local authorities getting mass testing, Leicester not included, why aren't we included in anything?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/first-wave-of-targeted-tier-3-community-testing-initiatives-announced

I guess you need to ask the local authority as to why they haven't asked to be included

"The list of LAs that have submitted proposals and have an ambition to begin testing in December are listed below.

The community testing offer remains open to all LAs in Tier 3."

13 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

I guess you need to ask the local authority as to why they haven't asked to be included

"The list of LAs that have submitted proposals and have an ambition to begin testing in December are listed below.

The community testing offer remains open to all LAs in Tier 3."

Leicester was sent 10 thousand tests to use with no barcodes making them ineffective so at least they have tried to help the city.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

I do wonder what proportion of teenagers, given unsupervised access to a computer, are sufficiently self-motivated to spend all their school time on school work and none of it on games and social media.  

I can also see practical problems with the idea that where there are two or more small children in one family, the parents can give all the children suffucient attention to keep their minds on the job.  I've never had the job of keeping small children occupied in front of a computer screen for hours on end - I doubt it's easy.

In the end ot boils down to the value of education.  Does it do any harm to children who aren't interest in learning and do as little as they can get away with (there are a lot of us about!) to miss school for a year or more?  I reckon it does.  Probably too much harm to risk for the sake of opening pubs and reducing the death toll by a couple of percent.

But they could have looked at being more creative with this particular year. Ie close schools now but use the time in half terms, Easter Holiday and make the summer holiday shorter for just this school year. Also there could be a different approach to primary school vis a vis secondary. The unified return of student so they could "have the university experience" was a complete disaster. You only have to look at the significant rises in infection rates in areas of cities where students were housed which has now spread out from there to see this. There was no good reason for students to be sent back. The majority of lectures could be taught on line. Lab work etc could have continued as the number sinvolved would greatly reduce the overall numbers at universities.

Still if the new variant type of covid proves resistant to the vaccines in development we're all screwed anyway. Hopefully it won't

Edited by reynard

Leeds set to move in to Tier 2 apparently. A bit of welcome good news for the owners of hospitality businesses across the city in the lead up to Christmas if true....it also means they can have 2,000 mad bastards in the ground for the scum game. Timing is everything. 

Edit: it’s at OT, so maybe not. 

Edited by Manini

Pubs and restaurants have been shut/ partially opened in the last six weeks, you aren't allowed to mix with other households in Tier 2, why do they have to become takeaway only? Why can't you have a meal with your own household?

Still, what does it matter? We're all being allowed to do what we want in ten days time.

Making it up as they go along. 

9 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

London are moving up? 

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Leeds are apparently going to tier 2 from tier 3. 

Presuming you mean moving up as in getting less restricted. 

Yeah sorry, I mean going to tier 2 from tier 3. Hopefully if Leeds are moving then there is a slight chance parts of Lancashire might too. Like I say though, surprised they would do it before Christmas, I thought they'd at the very least keep it the same until the new year. 

If they would at least acknowledge that schools are a big part of the problem and just be honest about why they're keeping them open, I'd be a lot more willing to listen to them. 

There are no easy solutions to this. At some point, people get impacted but constantly pretending you're doing a good job and every decision you make is perfect just breaks public trust. I've been in schools since September. Social distancing is, frankly, not happening. At best, I'd say 50% of the kids wear masks at some point during the day. The rooms aren't big enough, the corridors aren't big enough and the ventilation is crap. 

I get why the schools are open and need to be open as long as they can but don't treat me like a fool. It is schools that are causing the spread. Thank me for the job I'm doing by not lying to my face and putting at least some kind of structure in place to deal with it. EG - rota system for kids, to spread out numbers or finish a few days earlier this week and have a proper "don't you even dare go out of your house" lockdown for a week or so before Christmas. 

I'm finishing up with this school this week and going to work in a hospital setting. Ironically, I'm less worried about that. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

The massive efforts with bubbles in the classroom/school and then chucking the kids out to just all go and huddle together at the bus stops etc ... well, need I say more?

The risk outside is **** load lower though.  Enclosed spaces are much worse. On the bus, now that is an issue!

4 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

If they would at least acknowledge that schools are a big part of the problem and just be honest about why they're keeping them open, I'd be a lot more willing to listen to them. 

There are no easy solutions to this. At some point, people get impacted but constantly pretending you're doing a good job and every decision you make is perfect just breaks public trust. I've been in schools since September. Social distancing is, frankly, not happening. At best, I'd say 50% of the kids wear masks at some point during the day. The rooms aren't big enough, the corridors aren't big enough and the ventilation is crap. 

I get why the schools are open and need to be open as long as they can but don't treat me like a fool. It is schools that are causing the spread. Thank me for the job I'm doing by not lying to my face and putting at least some kind of structure in place to deal with it. EG - rota system for kids, to spread out numbers or finish a few days earlier this week and have a proper "don't you even dare go out of your house" lockdown for a week or so before Christmas. 

I'm finishing up with this school this week and going to work in a hospital setting. Ironically, I'm less worried about that. 

The cynic in me says the kids are stating in school so those in the public sectors who are making the decisions can keep working and not risk their income...

7 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Yeah sorry, I mean going to tier 2 from tier 3. Hopefully if Leeds are moving then there is a slight chance parts of Lancashire might too. Like I say though, surprised they would do it before Christmas, I thought they'd at the very least keep it the same until the new year. 

Not that they've escaped it already, but they'd come under huge scrutiny if those Northern cities do so much to get their case numbers down and stay in same tier, while London rockets up and goes in to the same tier level too. 

I think it's right places like Leeds and Manchester go to Tier 2. 

I wish they’d give a bit more forward guidance wrt the vaccine. I get there’s caution and we only have one approved at the moment but I don’t get why it barely features in the conversation. They’re more than happy to wheel out doomsday models, where are the models that include the vaccine and the suggestion of what can be done when? 

We should be willing to accept harsher measures now but that could come with alongside plans for ‘living’ with COVID before a full vaccination programme

• Like 3

First time I’ve driven through the city centre since March, sadly but not unsurprisingly I saw the Parcel yard was boarded up and The Landsdowne had a To Let board on it although it looked like it was ready for business unlike the Parcel.

The pubs and hospitality industry is in its knees with little end in sight.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I wish they’d give a bit more forward guidance wrt the vaccine. I get there’s caution and we only have one approved at the moment but I don’t get why it barely features in the conversation. They’re more than happy to wheel out doomsday models, where are the models that include the vaccine and the suggestion of what can be done when? 

We should be willing to accept harsher measures now but that could come with alongside plans for ‘living’ with COVID before a full vaccination programme

Yep, simply got to give people a target. The fatigue is setting in.