Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

6 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Not sure, but 7 miles does not seem far Ona bike, but both things seem a bit silly as they constituted exercise. 

Another day, another reason to lambast someone, media must be on cloud nine. lol

Such an overreaction in the media to Boris's bike ride.

So much to investigate, many things to push the Govt hard on and the Mirror (no surprise really, left wing paper) makes it front page.

We get our priorities wrong in this country so often.

• Like 3

I think talks of further restrictions are premature given that it’s the next week that infection rate should slower - two into theee weeks after the restrictions. There were parts of the country (including boroughs of Leicestershire) which were down in their rolling 7 day rate yesterday compared to last week - these may have be dictated by the smaller than normal tests reported yesterday. Fingers crossed it’s not the case. 

Obviously this still means it’s critical situation in the hospitals. 

44 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I've started running a scotch egg and peg store outside supermarkets for the non-mask brigade. Scotch egg shoved in the gob and a peg on their nose and I charge them ten quid. 

On a side note, has anyone ever breathalysed themselves after eating 2 of those cricket ball sized scotch eggs? Pure gas and it shatters the breathalyser. 

Keep them coming Ric lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, whoareyaaa said:

Is it not correct that if we are all too clean/hygienic as a species we will in fact be more liable to disease?

The very nature of how vaccinations work would suggest this to be the case, I imagine 

9 hours ago, Line-X said:

You actually have to be doing this on purpose now. 

Why is it a decent article and why is it worth a read? It's another anti-science opinion piece and shameful example of confirmation bias from "The Critic" which as an article is ironically about as far away from objective critical thinking as you can get. Shameful, because 'The Critic' often contains some interesting and thought provoking reads and prides itself on "honest criticism as to better approach truth, not deny its possibility". According to the editors - "ossified thought and a lack of intellectual rigour are depressing features of all sides of today’s political and cultural debate. Our writers will subscribe to no editorial line nor serve the interests of any party, faction or cause". Bearing this in mind, your article then goes on to state "various analyses have shown that lockdowns don’t work". The "analyses" in question are revealed to be a cherry picked list of publications assembled by the AIER a libertarian think tank affiliated with the Bastiat Society lollollol. "The Critic" claims impartiality, but the AIER is borderline Breitbart ffs!! Last year, it actually financed advertisements on social media promoting its own articles against government social distancing measures and the wearing of facemasks.

Your article also states "In fact, the sceptic case is argued by credible scientists, academics, journalists, politicians, and good ordinary people who just want the best for their country." So you still fail to grasp the logical fallacy of 'appeal to authority' and 'emotional pleading'. No thanks, I'll listen to the science instead of opinions. 

Seriously, why are you doing this to yourself and why are you repeatedly inflicting it on others? 

🙏

11 minutes ago, zorro en españa said:

We all know it is hard to come to terms with what is happening - recriminations for behaviour I or you find offensive abound.

However, situations will always be compounded by ambiguous messages and the inability this creates with policing.  Morally, I think it is wrong that someone thinks it is ok to drive seven miles to exercise.  A few posts above someone appears to be bragging that s/he entered a supermarket without a mask.  Both testing the boundaries - and with the backing of those who argue “our rights are being infringed”.

The difference I find here, in Spain, is that the rules are pretty clear, enforced clinically and rarely challenged (at the coal face). Still mistakes are made (in my area we are now beginning to see the ramifications of allowing country-wide movement for 20 days over the festive period) but behaviour is not out of control.

If I may, I will give you one example of the different psyche between the British & Spanish.  Following our first lockdown a local radio station - serving predominantly the British but listened to by many Spaniards - took great effort in explaining the relaxation criteria. After a few hours the presenter, in exasperation, was forced to say - and I paraphrase - ‘I am sick and tired of people contacting me asking how I can get round this/ that.  Will you stop looking for loopholes and obey the bloody rules!’

There has to be a rallying call that people believe in.  I can understand why cameras are being kept out of hospitals but I think if things are as bad as they sound a little bit more exposure to the challenges the front line hospital workers are facing would be helpful.  Politicians will not achieve this now - they have lost the people.

One of the best posts on this thread. Though I don’t think ‘they have lost the people’. They have lost SOME of the people

There are still some who want to do what they can to try to get out of this mess

Thank God

7 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

When the pm of the country cycles  7 miles for exercise, that is the precedent that is set, and to be perfectly honest, it would be a pretty decent boundary nation wide, if only the government would say, 7 miles from home end of, seems like everyone could stick by that.

The problem with sticking a number on it means it now becomes a target just like all the other situations, like you can meet up to 6 people so everyone met 6 people instead of thinking ok I know it’s 6 but I’ll play my part and maybe I don’t meet that 5th or 6th person or whatever.

What happens if someone gets charged as it’s found they were 7miles and 100m from their door, on the face of it most will say that’s fine it’s 7miles that’s the rule, until it happens then everyone’s saying don’t be so stupid it’s 100m over, the police and gov are abusing their power etc etc but where do you then draw the line.

Would it be ok to drive 7miles to a nature reserve then walk around a 3mile circuit which effectively takes you past the 7miles again.

I think 8/10 people get it, stay local to them means yes go for a 1hr walk (or so) leaving on foot from your front door. I run in the morning or walk in the evening leaving on foot from my front door, I live in a built up area with open parks/land about 3km from the door which I make my way too, I must have done the same route 100 times and yes it bores the shit out of me now but I understand what’s happening around me and therefore I continue to do it, I don’t jump in the car for a change of scenery because again I understand what’s happening around me...the sooner the 2/10 realise what’s happening around them the better, yes it’s petty and inconvenient but it’s not going to be for ever the little petals. 

• Like 3

When the pm of the country cycles  7 miles for exercise, that is the precedent that is set, and to be perfectly honest, it would be a pretty decent boundary nation wide, if only the government would say, 7 miles from home end of, seems like everyone could stick by that.

This is where it becomes a bit vague. I live in loughborough, should I be allowed to drive to Bradgate Park for a walk or run or bike ride? Probably not. If I was physically fit enough should I be allowed to run or cycle or even walk to Bradgate Park from Loughborough and back again? I honestly don't know.

Edited by Facecloth

55 minutes ago, zorro en españa said:

We all know it is hard to come to terms with what is happening - recriminations for behaviour I or you find offensive abound.

However, situations will always be compounded by ambiguous messages and the inability this creates with policing.  Morally, I think it is wrong that someone thinks it is ok to drive seven miles to exercise.  A few posts above someone appears to be bragging that s/he entered a supermarket without a mask.  Both testing the boundaries - and with the backing of those who argue “our rights are being infringed”.

The difference I find here, in Spain, is that the rules are pretty clear, enforced clinically and rarely challenged (at the coal face). Still mistakes are made (in my area we are now beginning to see the ramifications of allowing country-wide movement for 20 days over the festive period) but behaviour is not out of control.

If I may, I will give you one example of the different psyche between the British & Spanish.  Following our first lockdown a local radio station - serving predominantly the British but listened to by many Spaniards - took great effort in explaining the relaxation criteria. After a few hours the presenter, in exasperation, was forced to say - and I paraphrase - ‘I am sick and tired of people contacting me asking how I can get round this/ that.  Will you stop looking for loopholes and obey the bloody rules!’

There has to be a rallying call that people believe in.  I can understand why cameras are being kept out of hospitals but I think if things are as bad as they sound a little bit more exposure to the challenges the front line hospital workers are facing would be helpful.  Politicians will not achieve this now - they have lost the people.

I liken us lot to frogs (I don't mean the bloody French) but of the amphibian sort. If you put us in a pan of hot water we will make a horrible squeeling noise and jump out. But if you put us in a pan of cold water and gently increase the temperature we will happily sit in there until we boil to death.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

This is where it becomes a bit vague. I live in loughborough, should I be allowed to drive to Bradgate Park for a walk or run or bike ride? Probably not. If I was physically fit enough should I be allowed to run or cycle or even walk to Bradgate Park from Loughborough and back again? I honestly don't know.

I know a lad who I went to school with who ran 100km in his garden over the 1st lockdown, thsts the benchmark. People should just do laps of their garden and eat mud. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I know a lad who I went to school with who ran 100km in his garden over the 1st lockdown, thsts the benchmark. People should just do laps of their garden and eat mud. 

Tbf I live in a flat, that might be a bit difficult lol

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, ajthefox said:

I don't see what difference it will make, but that's because from what I've seen the vast majority are doing it. 

People not wearing masks in shops has been few and far between in my experience.

A far better thing to do now would be to stop people from going in in couples or groups except for very exceptional circumstances. So many dipshits wandering up and down the aisles two or even three abreast for no good reason at all yesterday.

It is almost impossible for me to defend Bozo for anything but this incident just shows how crap the government has been throughout the pandemic. Every other country has clear rules on leaving the house and exercise. This morning I have seen an article online where a police officer has publically declared that he cannot enforce the law because 'local' is meaningless. Unsurprisingly he does not want to cause embarrassment and bad publicity for his force. There will be more incidents like the two women from Ashby. 

If Bozo was anything of a leader he would confront Patel this morning and demand that she, the scientists and the police have a proper discussion and come up with a clear definition of 'local'. Today. Before it makes this country look even more of a shambles. They can change the words in the gov.uk website today and as long as the new definition is reasonable it will pass through Parliament because the only opposition will be from a few idiots on the Tory back benches like Sir Desmond Swayne.

I predict that he won't however because he is a coward and Patel is a fascist.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

The problem with sticking a number on it means it now becomes a target just like all the other situations, like you can meet up to 6 people so everyone met 6 people instead of thinking ok I know it’s 6 but I’ll play my part and maybe I don’t meet that 5th or 6th person or whatever.

What happens if someone gets charged as it’s found they were 7miles and 100m from their door, on the face of it most will say that’s fine it’s 7miles that’s the rule, until it happens then everyone’s saying don’t be so stupid it’s 100m over, the police and gov are abusing their power etc etc but where do you then draw the line.

Would it be ok to drive 7miles to a nature reserve then walk around a 3mile circuit which effectively takes you past the 7miles again.

I think 8/10 people get it, stay local to them means yes go for a 1hr walk (or so) leaving on foot from your front door. I run in the morning or walk in the evening leaving on foot from my front door, I live in a built up area with open parks/land about 3km from the door which I make my way too, I must have done the same route 100 times and yes it bores the shit out of me now but I understand what’s happening around me and therefore I continue to do it, I don’t jump in the car for a change of scenery because again I understand what’s happening around me...the sooner the 2/10 realise what’s happening around them the better, yes it’s petty and inconvenient but it’s not going to be for ever the little petals. 

Okay, what about within 7 miles of your home. 

1 hour ago, zorro en españa said:

This has been the case since mid December - rallying call was required but the politicians are just simply not respected enough. It’s why they have pushed the scientists and doctors to the front in the last week. Johnson lost his face even more so on Cummings. 

You know what the problem is don't you? People who are here for a good time and not a long time. Bad attitude that is and not helpful. We should all be here for a bad time and a long time. Everyone should stay in, do quilling with the missus and be in turmoil over what cardigan and soup combo to choose of a day.

I've crushed up a bag of tangy toms and breaded a couple of tinned frankfurters, absolutely horrid. I thoroughly recommend it.