Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Just now, RonnieTodger said:

Is 7 miles away (so minimum of 14 miles) that far for a bike ride? 

I'm no fan of Johnson or the Tories, but he's not going to be doing wheelies on Downing St is he?

He would no doubt gain vote share from such an escapade  lol

• Like 1

Now, obviously people are dying from covid and I’ve not actually been in an icu ward but, with media reports of ambulances waiting 9 hours to deliver their patients, an overwhelmed nhs that is running short of oxygen supplies etc, I kind of get the impression that’s there’s almost Armageddon in our hospitals. I just wondered what people’s thoughts were on this video that was on gmb.

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

A far better thing to do now would be to stop people from going in in couples or groups except for very exceptional circumstances. So many dipshits wandering up and down the aisles two or even three abreast for no good reason at all yesterday.

I honestly don't get the logic around this. Me and the missus shop together because we want different things. If we didn't go together we'd go in separate, exposing our 2 person bubble to more people than necessary. I get it if it's a crowd of people going shopping together but jeez, for the past year our weekly shop is as much of a day trip we get. :facepalm:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

I have first hand experience of seeing ambulance staff pulling their masks down to speak to my mother the week before last.  She is deaf and lip reads.  Were they technically in the wrong?

Obviously certain situations require a different approach. In you mum's case they weren't in the wrong and could have justified their actions if necessary.

2 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

I honestly don't get the logic around this. Me and the missus shop together because we want different things. If we didn't go together we'd go in separate, exposing our 2 person bubble to more people than necessary. I get it if it's a crowd of people going shopping together but jeez, for the past year our weekly shop is as much of a day trip we get. :facepalm:

Could you not just ask your missus what she wants beforehand? That's what I do.

I've not got so much of a problem with it if you manage to walk single file down the aisles, but so many aren't arsed and will merrily brush past you.

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

I think 8/10 people get it, stay local to them means yes go for a 1hr walk (or so) leaving on foot from your front door. I run in the morning or walk in the evening leaving on foot from my front door, I live in a built up area with open parks/land about 3km from the door which I make my way too, I must have done the same route 100 times and yes it bores the out of me now but I understand what’s happening around me and therefore I continue to do it, I don’t jump in the car for a change of scenery because again I understand what’s happening around me...the sooner the 2/10 realise what’s happening around them the better, yes it’s petty and inconvenient but it’s not going to be for ever the little petals. 

My problem with this is that if I go for a walk from my front door I will probably pass thirty or forty people on a narrow pavement.  If I get in my car and drive a few miles, I can go for a walk on wider paths and pass fewer people.  Why is the former option considered better?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Are you incapable of... Making a list? Maybe even use, I dunno, WhatsApp to ask about items she might want whilst you're in the store?

Baffling logic that both of you HAVE to be there just because you want different stuff.

We're all making sacrifices but woe betide you have to shop alone to help stem the coronavirus tide :rolleyes:

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Could you not just ask your missus what she wants beforehand? That's what I do.

I've not got so much of a problem with it if you manage to walk single file down the aisles, but so many aren't arsed and will merrily brush past you.

Not really, we pick want we want when we get there. We don't get the same things every week.. Prices change, sometimes things aren't in stock (especially right now) inspiration for meals comes from looking at things eh. 

4 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Are you incapable of... Making a list? Maybe even use, I dunno, WhatsApp to ask about items she might want whilst you're in the store?

Baffling logic that both of you HAVE to be there just because you want different stuff.

We're all making sacrifices but woe betide you have to shop alone to help stem the coronavirus tide :rolleyes:

Already sacrificed a year of my life to help stem the Coronavirus tide, cheers lemon. Walking around asda messaging back and forth on WhatsApp is about the dumbest shite I'll hear this week ffs. lol

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Walking around asda messaging back and forth on WhatsApp is about the dumbest shite I'll hear this week ffs. lol

Pretty sure he meant (or should mean) messaging while you're there (and other person is at home). I've done that plenty of times even if the thing the person wants isn't there. Quick call to them - 'this isn't available, anything else you want instead?' 

Or just make a list beforehand. If it isn't there, it isn't there and so be it. Move on to the next thing or think of an inspiring alternative while you're there ;)

Edited by StanSP
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Not really, we pick want we want when we get there. We don't get the same things every week.. Prices change, sometimes things aren't in stock (especially right now) inspiration for meals comes from looking at things eh. 

Does your missus not trust you to use a bit of initiative if stuff's out of stock, or vice versa?

I get that the weekly shop is the closest most of us get to any social interaction at the moment but it really doesn't seem like it'd be that much of a burden to nominate one person per household to do it while things are as shite as they are?

Edited by Voll Blau

5 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Does your missus not trust you to use a bit of initiative if stuff's out of stock, or vice versa?

I get that the weekly shop is the closest most of us get to any social interaction at the moment but it really doesn't seem like it'd be that much of a burden to nominate one person per household to do it while things are as shite as they are?

Good god no. She's a chef that likes dabbling in baking, you don't want to see the reaction when you get the wrong ingredients. And who the hell knows the difference in sugars and flours. :nigel:

I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, we've had to before when asda/Aldi started the only singles in. It's just a pain in the ass and considering we go Friday nights when it's mostly dead anyways it seems just more huff and puff for nothing. 

18 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Could someone please explain to me, how - if the vaccine doesn't stop transmition, you are told to have it to protect others? 

Good question to be fair, I'm sure some of the posters in here will be able to give a decent educated answer.

My first question would be has it been proved that it doesn't stop/lessen transmission?

21 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Could someone please explain to me, how - if the vaccine doesn't stop transmition, you are told to have it to protect others? 

Vaccines stop you getting it which means, if you've not got it, you can't transmit it so consequently you are protecting others. 

• Like 1

Supermarkets is the one constant thats not really been effected by any restrictions put in place, that's where the spread is happening and if people aren't at least getting some tinned kebabs or those vicious little microwaved ham and cheese pockets that you have to wear a balaclava to eat then you're an absolute disgrace and heads should roll. 

20 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Because if it is the case that it doesn't have much effect on transmission (and I think the jury is still out on that), it certainly still *does* still stop the symptoms from killing or otherwise maiming you.

The main purpose, of course, being that with that in place the pressure on the NHS will ease drastically, and if the virus is rendered no longer actually threatening people can resume a semblance of normal life...thus helping other people.

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

The point of restrictions is to limit contact with others to the bare minimum. Two people going together is not the bare minimum.  There is no reason why you can’t make a list and then one of you go and do it. I’m not saying you need to do that but to say you can’t see the logic is silly. The logic is that you are not limiting I contact with others to the bare minimum and that is what is needed at the moment. 

34 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Vaccines stop you getting it which means, if you've not got it, you can't transmit it so consequently you are protecting others. 

I thought this vaccination doesn't stop you getting it and transmitting it, but because you have the antibodies you can fight it and not feel the pits? That's why I train my body to withstand grotty foods like cheese in a can and rustlers because when this apocalypse arrives there's a lot of you that are going to have upset bottoms from the food available and it's a tough place to go and I will love it when that happens, love it. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Because if it is the case that it doesn't have much effect on transmission (and I think the jury is still out on that), it certainly still *does* still stop the symptoms from killing or otherwise maiming you.

The main purpose, of course, being that with that in place the pressure on the NHS will ease drastically, and if the virus is rendered no longer actually threatening people can resume a semblance of normal life...thus helping other people.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/commentary/covid-19-coronavirus-vaccine-effective-spread-immunity-antibody-13937600

This is a pretty good summary.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I thought this vaccination doesn't stop you getting it and transmitting it, but because you have the antibodies you can fight it and not feel the pits? That's why I train by body to withstand grotty foods like cheese in a can and rustlers because when this apocalypse arrives there's a lot of you that are going to have upset bottoms from the food available and it's a tough place to go and I will love it when that happens, love it. 

Ahh. Well it won't matter anyway once we've all been vaccinated.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

You can still get this with the vaccine I think, it just doesn't make you ill because it can't attack your body. Its still there though and can be transmitted.

• Like 1