Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Hey, could do with a bit of advice. I have been feeling ill (heavy cold and a cough) since Monday, today a flatmate tested positive for Covid. I am meant to be moving out of my flat and into another nearby flat with two girls (who currently live somewhere else) today - my tenancy for my current flat ends on Tuesday. Obviously I can't move flat and be in contact with the girls when I have Covid, for one thing that's not particularly nice for them. Can my landlord kick me out of this place even though I am self-isolating? Can they make me pay extra rent to stay? What happens if someone else is meant to be moving in? 

42 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

Hey, could do with a bit of advice. I have been feeling ill (heavy cold and a cough) since Monday, today a flatmate tested positive for Covid. I am meant to be moving out of my flat and into another nearby flat with two girls (who currently live somewhere else) today - my tenancy for my current flat ends on Tuesday. Obviously I can't move flat and be in contact with the girls when I have Covid, for one thing that's not particularly nice for them. Can my landlord kick me out of this place even though I am self-isolating? Can they make me pay extra rent to stay? What happens if someone else is meant to be moving in? 

Best person to speak to is your landlord/letting agent. Explain the situation to them and see what they say. 

I would also try and speak to somebody from Shelter - https://www.shelter.org.uk. They almost act as like citizens advice but for housing (amongst lots of other things)

P.s. hope you feel better soon.

Edited by Manini
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

When you say moving in with two girls, what do you mean exactly?

19 minutes ago, Manini said:

Best person to speak to is your landlord/letting agent. Explain the situation to them and see what they say. 

I would also try and speak to somebody from Shelter - https://www.shelter.org.uk. They almost act as like citizens advice but for housing (amongst lots of other things)

P.s. hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for that mate, I'll check it out if my agency don't just let me stay for an extra few days.

10 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

When you say moving in with two girls, what do you mean exactly?

I'm living in flat A, my two friends from uni are living in flat B, we are all moving into flat C today. I have flat A available until Tuesday but will probably need to isolate beyond that.

I’ve just seen a “Protect The Pangolins” advert on Sky News.

It shows a bloke stoking a Pangolin like a pet and letting a Pangolin lick water out of his hand.

I appreciate that they want to provoke sympathetic feelings in their target audience to make them donate, but isn’t humans consorting with Pangolins part of how we got in this mess in the first place?  :blink:

Weird.

2 hours ago, theessexfox said:

first thing i would do is go and get tested as if you are positive your isolation starts again so it will drag it out even longer. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

Disappointing.

Why has it dropped so much from last week? 

imagine it down to the weather / the age group they are currently working through. 

Once the age group drops the numbers will ramp up. When it gets to the 40-50 year olds etc the numbers will catch up. That's my predication anyway. 

1 hour ago, Vacamion said:

It shows a bloke stoking a Pangolin like a pet and letting a Pangolin lick water out of his hand.

I appreciate that they want to provoke sympathetic feelings in their target audience to make them donate, but isn’t humans consorting with Pangolins part of how we got in this mess in the first place?  :blink:

Weird.

I'd shoot every fvckin one of em.

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Do you think teachers will be pushed up the vaccine order so they can get vaccinated sooner meaning the schools open quicker?

Would that mean all key workers having to move up though?

The question is whether the main problem is teachers getting Covid or the pupils interconnecting households and thus increasing transmission.

if it’s the former then vaccinate all teachers over 50 or at risk perhaps.  If the latter then you need to wait until the vaccines are rolled out further?

they might send primary back and keep secondary out?

15 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Probably ok as long as he doesn’t shag it. BTW if you do accidentally shag a pangolin please make sure you self isolate for 14 days (or 10 in the UK).

How on Earth would one accidently shag a pangolin?

2 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Weird.

I have loads of animals and my pangolin and think its perfectly acceptable behaviour to lick water out of my hand, as do my pet bats.

The eu AZ contract has been published

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/api/files/attachment/867990/APA - AstraZeneca.pdf

Best reasonable efforts is a relatively low end commitment.

if  AZ had signed a contract with the uk with restrictions on uk facilities I don’t think it would be thought reasonable for them to break the uk contract to deliver on this one.

having said that they do list the uk sites

Edited by Stivo
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stivo said:

The eu AZ contract has been published

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/api/files/attachment/867990/APA - AstraZeneca.pdf

Best reasonable efforts is a relatively low end commitment.

if  AZ had signed a contract with the uk with restrictions on uk facilities I don’t think it would be thought reasonable for them to break the uk contract to deliver on this one.

having said that they do list the uk sites

I had a read through that as best I could earlier. I don’t see anything that guarantees the EU anything from the UK sites, only that they’re listed as places where the vaccine can be produced. There’s not even any mention of a best reasonable percentage of output from these plants. The fact that they’re set up is incidental as far as I’m concerned. I think the EU are banking on clauses saying that AZ’s ability to deliver their EU contract isn’t impeded by other contracts. Which it isn’t. The UK sites wouldn’t be up and running without the UK contract. Again, incidental.

But more than that, and away from any legal wrangling, the way the EU have been treating AZ, insulting, raiding and threatening to sue a firm who have created a vaccine in a year that they’re providing for no profit, is utterly reprehensible.

• Like 1

I feel quite annoyed that the EU seem to be framing this whole situation as if the UK are responsible for them not receiving these vaccines.

Aside from the fact that some of AZs manufacturing plants are based within our borders, the contract is between AZ and the EU not the UK and EU.

Whatever contractual agreements are in place between us and AZ are confidential. Likewise for the EU AZ contract. AZs failure to fulfil any obligations regarding supply to the EU has absolutely nothing to do with us as a nation and they're using the backdrop of Brexit as a means to stir up distrust and deflect away from their own failures. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dunge said:

I had a read through that as best I could earlier. I don’t see anything that guarantees the EU anything from the UK sites, only that they’re listed as places where the vaccine can be produced. There’s not even any mention of a best reasonable percentage of output from these plants. The fact that they’re set up is incidental as far as I’m concerned. I think the EU are banking on clauses saying that AZ’s ability to deliver their EU contract isn’t impeded by other contracts. Which it isn’t. The UK sites wouldn’t be up and running without the UK contract. Again, incidental.

But more than that, and away from any legal wrangling, the way the EU have been treating AZ, insulting, raiding and threatening to sue a firm who have created a vaccine in a year that they’re providing for no profit, is utterly reprehensible.

I agree. There is an Italian site mentioned as well, which we haven’t heard of before as presumably it isnt producing anything yet.

I noticed 13.1 as well, but that doesn’t help the eu get more doses. 

The EU's only point is that they have signed a contract for vaccine, and if there aren't enough vaccines to go round then theirs is the only important contract and others must do without.  Their sole reason for that is because they think they are important and other nations aren't.

Their other rationale as justified by the Belgian Commisioner today is that the EU is all about solidarity and the UK isn't showing solidarity.  I can only assume that he doesn't know we have left.

Edited by dsr-burnley
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

The EU's only point is that they have signed a contract for vaccine, and if there aren't enough vaccines to go round then theirs is the only important contract and others must do without.  Their sole reason for that is because they think they are important and other nations aren't.

Their other rationale as justified by the Belgian Commisioner today is that the EU is all about solidarity and the UK isn't showing solidarity.  I can only assume that he doesn't know we have left.

I thought they'd signed a contract that was a best effort. In other words AZ will make their best effort to supply the vaccine.

Macron’s decided to play fast-and-loose with his comments, saying everything points to AZ being ineffective in over 65s. Doesn’t say there is insufficient data to prove its effectiveness, just that’s it ineffective. Assuming there’s not a mistranslation in this.

The EMA has now said it expects it to be effective in the older population. Macron, president of a vaccine-sceptical country, may now have to tell people to take something he’s just said is ineffective.

3 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Macron’s decided to play fast-and-loose with his comments, saying everything points to AZ being ineffective in over 65s. Doesn’t say there is insufficient data to prove its effectiveness, just that’s it ineffective. Assuming there’s not a mistranslation in this.

The EMA has now said it expects it to be effective in the older population. Macron, president of a vaccine-sceptical country, may now have to tell people to take something he’s just said is ineffective.

Not to worry. That will definitely somehow be the UK’s fault by the end of the day.

4 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I thought they'd signed a contract that was a best effort. In other words AZ will make their best effort to supply the vaccine.

In a sense it doesn't matter what the contract said.  The contract might say AstraZeneca swear on the director's life that the EU will have their vaccine, but if the vaccine doesn't exist then the EU can't have it.

I'm sure the contract did not say that it is paramount above all others and all other AstraZeneca contracts fail unless the EU gets its stuff.