Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

'The PM is facing an angry backlash after ministers and SAGE experts suggested all over-50s should get vaccines before any 'significant' easing.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9223041/Tory-anger-mounts-goalpost-shifting-lockdown.html

No ****ing chance, get the kids back in school and get the gyms open next month. We can't live like this for another 3 months surely? I know I certainly won't be.

SAGE are just desperate to stay relevant at this stage. Their time of being listened to on this is coming to an end rapidly. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Australia is generally regarded as a continental land mass rather than an island.  When the question "what is the largest island in the world" is put, Greenland is often regarded as the correct answer.  You can argue for Australia, or equallyyou can argue for the Euro-Asia-Africa land mass.  But Euro-Asia-Africa is generally regarded as a continent not an island, and North-Central-South America is generally regarded as a continent not an island so that doesn't qualify either, and Australia is generally regarded as a continent not an island too.  

I suspect the point Schapps was making is that Australia is significantly different from the UK.  

I thought Greenland was actually bigger anyway than Australia hence why it’s deemed the correct answer. 

Edited by OrielCaziado

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

It's a fair point - the feeling that a government minister should perhaps be better at clear communication notwithstanding.

Are there any reasonable comparisons, I wonder, or is that entire field when it comes to Covid a fools errand?

But he used it in context, he was talking to a Select Committee and went on to mention some of the context that makes the UK different to Australia. Yeah if you strip a handful of words from the rest of the discussion he was having, maybe you can concoct a ‘gaffe’ (he referred to the US as a continent too, arguably the bigger errant comment) or ask him to be clearer in his communication but anybody that actually listens to what he says in good faith knows full well what he means. They might choose to disagree or push back on it, fine, but seems in many cases substance is of little importance when you’ve got a social media ‘waheyyyy’ to fit in.

Tbh, the ‘gaffe’ would more be how he’s gone on to explain why the UK is different to Australia due to its proximity and integration with Europe despite the government reverting to ‘Australia-style’ for dressing up policies.

I think comparisons are silly approach tbh, they’re usually just lazy broad brush thinking. What did they do in x, what can we take from that in y context is good, rather than the never ending look they did a good thing, we should do that thing.

10 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Australasia is the region. Australia is the continent and an island isn't a continent.

So New Zealand is in the Australasia/Oceania region, but does not form part of any continent?

Are the UK, Ireland, Cyprus and Malta part of the region of Europe, but not the continent? 

Likewise Japan & Sri Lanka vis-à-vis Asia and Madagascar vis-à-vis Africa? 

Is Corsica in Europe, as it is part of France but not on the continent? Or Mont St. Michel, which is a tidal island, so only forms part of the continental landmass at low tide?

:whistle:

58 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Australia is the country. Australasia is the continent? 

48 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Australasia is the region. Australia is the continent and an island isn't a continent.

Was just about to post exactly what Yorkie said. 

25 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

So New Zealand is in the Australasia/Oceania region, but does not form part of any continent?

Are the UK, Ireland, Cyprus and Malta part of the region of Europe, but not the continent? 

Is Corsica in Europe, as it is part of France but not on the continent? Or Mont St. Michel, which is a tidal island, so only forms part of the continental landmass at low tide?

"Continental Europe"

36 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

New Zealand isn't part of the same continental shelf. There's 9 continents Asia, North America, South America, Europe, Australia, Antarctica, Zealandia and Great Britain.

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

If anyone’s interested, our 5 day lockdown over here in Perth will come to an end on Friday night and will be followed by a week of fairly light restrictions, then back to normal as long as nothing untoward happens. There was only a single positive case (a quarantine hotel guard), and all his close contacts have tested negative along with everyone else who came forward for testing.

There will be those who say that the lockdown was an overreaction, but IMO it was the right course of action, and I haven’t heard anyone grumbling. For a start the guard had the UK strain (FFS, you dirty bastards :P) which is being treated with the greatest respect over her. Secondly it seems like he’d travelled all over Perth, so potentially could have seeded a number of clusters.

Lastly, we have literally had normal life here for over 9 months. Pretty much no social distancing, masks, etc. If infections had been widely seeded, it could easily have got out of control of our (less than battle hardened) test and trace system, and no one wanted to risk having to have a Melbourne style 4 month hard lockdown.

In my view, our 5 day lockdown is the price we have had to pay for insurance to maintain the very privileged lifestyle we have enjoyed in recent times.

Good to hear, mate.

What's the wildfire situation in the Perth hills now?

50 minutes ago, Buce said:

Good to hear, mate.

What's the wildfire situation in the Perth hills now?

AFAIK it’s eased somewhat as temperatures have fallen back to ~ 28c to 30c. Still a bit windy though and that drives the fire front. Over 80 homes lost :(, and probably some people uninsured, or under insured I expect. Hopefully government aid and charitable contributions should help.

As far as I know no one has been seriously hurt as yet, so that’s good. Homes can be rebuilt, and the bush regenerates astonishingly fast in my experience. Still a hugely traumatic experience to live through though for those affected.

My niece is one of those that could potentially be affected, but so far is OK.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1