Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

A month ago I would have been buzzing for that but what are the government actually going to do when the top 4 tiers have been vaccinated?

Pubs won’t open, restaurants won’t open, we won’t be able to go to the football, we won’t be able to go on holiday. It’s all getting pointless.

You can go fishing! Well I can anyway. And it’s now classed as exercise so I can chain smoke my way to a six pack.

• Like 1

Mrs took the dog for his vaccinations today, told her dad who asked are they vaccinating dogs as well,  to which she replied yes, he’s 8 which is 56 in doggie years and they’re doing the over 50s now. Left it at that.

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

A month ago I would have been buzzing for that but what are the government actually going to do when the top 4 tiers have been vaccinated?

Pubs won’t open, restaurants won’t open, we won’t be able to go to the football, we won’t be able to go on holiday. It’s all getting pointless.

Move on to the next few tiers :dunno:. I don't get what anyone can be negative about once top 4 tiers are done as quickly as possible. And we look to be on target for it (potentially even a day early?!) which is fantastic.

Of course we want everything to be re-opened as quickly as possible but I'd rather not have any hindrance to vaccinations and possibly spreading new variants around. If the news about the Oxford vaccine potentially stopping transmission then this is a massive bonus of the vaccine itself, instead of only stopping serious illnesses/hospitalisations. 

It most certainly isn't pointless just because the 'luxuries' aren't opening up as quickly as you want them to.

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Kids back to school probably. Although they need to give 2 weeks notice to do that iirc and no word yet. Gyms as well I am praying.

There won't be any word yet either. Earliest date that was suggested a week or 2 ago was 8th March. And next announcement is 22nd Feb for that; I presume the schools re-opening in some form will be at that announcement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

Mrs took the dog for his vaccinations today, told her dad who asked are they vaccinating dogs as well,  to which she replied yes, he’s 8 which is 56 in doggie years and they’re doing the over 50s now. Left it at that.

The whole reception at the Vets stood and applauded 

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Move on to the next few tiers :dunno:. I don't get what anyone can be negative about once top 4 tiers are done as quickly as possible. And we look to be on target for it (potentially even a day early?!) which is fantastic.

Of course we want everything to be re-opened as quickly as possible but I'd rather not have any hindrance to vaccinations and possibly spreading new variants around. If the news about the Oxford vaccine potentially stopping transmission then this is a massive bonus of the vaccine itself, instead of only stopping serious illnesses/hospitalisations. 

It most certainly isn't pointless just because the 'luxuries' aren't opening up as quickly as you want them to.

There won't be any word yet either. Earliest date that was suggested a week or 2 ago was 8th March. And next announcement is 22nd Feb for that; I presume the schools re-opening in some form will be at that announcement.

Come back when your household is losing the amount we are losing with no end in site for that returning and tell me people not to be negative lol 

Luxuries? Living a normal life is a luxury nowadays, I should be happy that I’m sat in doors 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Stivo said:

A new trial shows that delaying the 2nd dose works as a strategy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55910964

the more you read it the better it gets, protection was 76% on 1 dose, 82% after second, and cut down transmission.

The transmission bit is amazing news. Fingers crossed the numbers keep falling.

5 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Come back when your household is losing the amount we are losing with no end in site for that returning and tell me people not to be negative lol 

Luxuries? Living a normal life is a luxury nowadays, I should be happy that I’m sat in doors 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

You know I mean that when it comes to vaccinations :unsure:.  

Yeah it's shit still and yeah it'll be shit still for another couple of months, and I as well as anyone knows that that's a bleak outlook and easier said than done to get through.

But there is an end. Even if vaccines didn't exist, we saw last summer how much it struggles to spread in warmer months. So even without a vaccine we'd be looking at only very light restrictions just a few months away.

The fact is we are rolling out the vaccine at an incredible rate and all the signs are that it will be incredibly effective.

No, it's not going to be a click of a finger and everything turning back to the way it was instantly. Yes, the media will talk up every new strain and slight increase in cases and/or deaths when the seasons change again, and maybe we will see some light touch restrictions re-introduced, whether they're really needed or not. 

But honestly, barring some unforeseen cock up or curve ball that is inconceivable at this point, there really is an end in sight and it really is quite soon.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, StanSP said:

. If the news about the Oxford vaccine potentially stopping transmission then this is a massive bonus of the vaccine itself, instead of only stopping serious illnesses/hospitalisations. 

Hmmm I’ve had the Pfizer vaccine, hope that proves to be just as effective.

1 hour ago, bovril said:

It feels bizarre thinking back to last year and how we had almost two and half months of normality before this hit. Feels like this has been going on forever. 

Those early 2020 months pre Covid were absolutely grim as well, some of the wettest months on record.

To think I was wishing my life away in February 2020 lol

Edited by Nod.E

10 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Those early 2020 months pre Covid were absolutely grim as well, some of the wettest months on record.

Not to mention you could feel the incoming threat of covid back then too.

Once it started to take hold in parts of northern Italy, it was obvious it was spreading all round Europe.

Not to mention it was probably a lot more scary and unknown back then.

And yeah, those storms we had in Jan/Feb last year weren't nice either.

Edited by Sampson

13 hours ago, davieG said:

Had my Vac today very efficient set up, no side effects so far.

The jab point's a bit painful today. I'd suggest when you have it done you pick the arm that you don't normally lie on in bed which thankfully I did. No other issues.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Totally agree. A beer in a pub, or a meal out, or going to watch the game are not luxuries, they are part of most people's normal lives and should be again as soon as it's safe to do so. I do not want to wait until Chris Whitty & Co dance on the grave of the very last Covid victim to be able to do this.

The vaccine rollout numbers look great, but they're only a measurement of a means to an end, and many people, including me, are getting impatient to learn when and how things are gonna get back to normal, because we've been locked away for the best part of 12 months, struggling with mental health and coping with reduced incomes or no jobs at all.

I'm trying to be optimistic but if experience has taught us anything it's that come the 22nd of Feb, we'll be sorely disappointed in whatever plan they come up with.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Nod.E said:

I remember driving to Norwich for the Leicester game, half the country was underwater, covid was about to rip through and the tories had just got the biggest majority in living memory. 

Definitely had an end of the world apocalypse vibe to that drive. 

It's easier to sell a lockdown in January- the weather is crap, nights are arriving early and there's not much incentive to go out. However, get to mid-March and the clocks go back, the weather improves and it'll be much harder to keep people indoors.

• Like 3

"Going back to normal" is not a thing that will happen for 18 months at least. Yes the vaccinations allow for us to be out in public in an indoor setting in this country but that's the point where locking borders becomes most important to reduce the risk of variants from countries not immunised coming in. I wouldn't book any foreign holidays if I were you. That's what makes the crowing about our vaccine rollout so confusing, if normal for you is jetting around the world you want the whole world vaccinated at the same rate.

• Like 2