Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I don't understand. Does Covid-19 only enter the bar if it knows alcohol is being served? 

No, but it's been suggested previously that the more alcohol is consumed, the less likely social distancing is to be observed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

I don't understand. Does Covid-19 only enter the bar if it knows alcohol is being served? 

I presume it's based on the finding that people are more uninhibited when they've consumed alcohol - getting close to one another, hugging, talking loudly, laughing, singing, whatever - thereby increasing risk of transmission?

I can't believe for a minute that it's a workable idea, though. I imagine that only a small number would be happy going to alcohol-free pubs - an insufficient number to make it viable for landlords.

A few would probably smuggle in their own booze - and some landlords might turn a blind eye. Most pub-goers would stay away, I imagine? :dunno:

• Like 1

Guest Harrydc

Alcohol free pubs. Like going to the cinema without a film. It's like going swimming without the water.

It's pathetic. 

By April, social distancing should be relaxed anyway. At what stage do we say we can return to pre covid restrictions? When were 'covid free'? Because that is not going to ever happen.

3 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Alcohol free pubs. Like going to the cinema without a film. It's like going swimming without the water.

It's pathetic. 

By April, social distancing should be relaxed anyway. At what stage do we say we can return to pre covid restrictions? When were 'covid free'? Because that is not going to ever happen.

Are you Tom Kerridge? 

• Haha 4

It's not really that baffling to understand is it.

Pubs which serve food can open and basically act as restaurants. 

Whatever needs to be done to make this the last major lockdown should be done. If data shows that this means pubs need to wait a bit longer to serve alcohol to ensure distancing is adhered to and we get X million more vaccinated in the interim then so be it. 

Edited by martyn
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, martyn said:

It's not really that baffling to understand is it.

Pubs which serve food can open and basically act as restaurants. 

Whatever needs to be done to make this the last major lockdown should be done. If data shows that this means pubs need to wait a bit longer to serve alcohol to ensure distancing is adhered to and we get X million more vaccinated in the interim then so be it. 

Yeah makes a mockery of what Tom Kerridge tweets - pubs like his own, food is the main income. 

Becks Blue better up their production anyway 

It will surely be like it was in tier 2? Restaurants and pub style restaurants will open first, if they are stoping people have an alcoholic drink with their meals then that is a bit ridiculous. Understand not rushing for pubs where drink and social gatherings are likely, and town centre bars etc. 

56 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Even if everyone gets vaccinated, twice, would social-distancing be scrapped and we can shake other people's hands etc?

Absolutely not, we must be lockdowned completely for an indefinite amount of time just in case someone who didnt want to be vaccinated changes their mind regardless of the economic and mental health impact on society. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

Even if everyone gets vaccinated, twice, would social-distancing be scrapped and we can shake other people's hands etc?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-social-distancing-lockdown-rules-vaccine-transmission-b1795301.html

Apparently not.... even in 2022 unless vaccines cut transmission by 85%. Very few people will follow social distancing in 2022 and i don't really blame them.

4 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Ugh, I hope not.

Having a valid excuse for not touching someone's piss-covered hands is the only positive thing about Covid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-social-distancing-lockdown-rules-vaccine-transmission-b1795301.html

Apparently not.... even in 2022 unless vaccines cut transmission by 85%. Very few people will follow social distancing in 2022 and i don't really blame them.

And the only chart we have to look at ever again is the league table. Flamin scientists can all bugger off back to their dark hovels and count stars again

4 hours ago, Wymsey said:

I’ve got to be honest, out of going to see family, friends, pubs, football, holidays, and not fearing for your future every second of the day it’s the hand shaking that I really miss.

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Out of curiosity, at what time frame will people say enough is enough for restrictions? This time next year? 2 years? Never? 

There's a few in this thread that would happily not lay eyes on another human for the rest of their life, but I would imagine the majority (depending on how little they do with ther life) will be between 2-6 months.