Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

5 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

The young shafted again? Imagine my shock.

not really though are they. International travel isn't allowed for holidays and probably wont be lifted until the summer where then the majority of people will have been vaccinated. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Which, to me, doesn't make sense because, from what i understand,  the vaccine won't stop you from catching the virus, or spreading it, but will stop you becoming poorly from it's effects.

If this is the case, and I am not saying it is or isn’t, then is it worth wasting all the resources and time in vaccinating fit and healthy under 50s as, from we’ve been told,  people in this bracket aren’t really at risk. 

19 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

I think the point is that Australia isn’t a small island nation that has integrated itself so substantially with its near neighbours.l who have also been significantly affected. For example, Australia doesn’t have 10000 lorries pass through a single port every day. It’s total food imports account for 15% of consumption, 45% for the UK of which 26% comes from the EU.

Seems pretty obvious to me, heaven forbid someone might be a little loose in their wording. The grand point that the UK is not Australia, China, Sweden, New Zealand or anywhere that’s been fashionable for lazy comparisons.

Yeah I completely misjudged the context of the comment and allowed myself to be blinded by it as a snippet. He could have been clearer which would have helped but still poor form on my part.

Edited by Strokes

44 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Which, to me, doesn't make sense because, from what i understand,  the vaccine won't stop you from catching the virus, or spreading it, but will stop you becoming poorly from it's effects.

No.  There have been few tests to say whether people will be able to spread the virus after vaccination (though those tests there have been suggest you won't, or much less easily),  So the scientist gets asked whether vaccinated people can spread the virus, and he says there is no evidence; the journalist reports that the scientist says vaccinated people may spread the virus; Twitter reports that vaccinated people will spread the virus.

OK, I'm not a professional, but from what I have seen and be told the way most viruses work is this.

1.  The virus invades the body, via breathing in in this case.

2.  It starts to multiply like mad.

3.  The body detectes the virus and starts building antibodies.  This takes a fortnight or so.

4.  The antibodies destroy the virus.

The reason people get ill is because the virus has multiplied to such numbers that it starts causing damage to the body, and if it gets too well established the antibodies can't fight it off so it kills you.  Or alternatively it weakens you enough so you die of something else before the antibodies take hold. 

The point of a vaccine (and no particular reason to suspect this would be different) is that in step 3, the vaccinated body has seen this virus before and knows how to build the antibodies.  This means that the virus doesn't have a fortnight to multiply like mad, it only has a day or two, so the antibodies have a lot fewer virus particles to destroy and there is never enough virus in you to get sick.

The logical corollary is that the person vaccinated does carry the virus, but not as much of it; he can spread it about, but with the double bonus that he is less likely to spread it and that what he spreads is less powerful.  That's how most vaccines work, and there is no reason to suppose this one is different.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

If anyone’s interested, our 5 day lockdown over here in Perth will come to an end on Friday night and will be followed by a week of fairly light restrictions, then back to normal as long as nothing untoward happens. There was only a single positive case (a quarantine hotel guard), and all his close contacts have tested negative along with everyone else who came forward for testing.

There will be those who say that the lockdown was an overreaction, but IMO it was the right course of action, and I haven’t heard anyone grumbling. For a start the guard had the UK strain (FFS, you dirty bastards :P) which is being treated with the greatest respect over her. Secondly it seems like he’d travelled all over Perth, so potentially could have seeded a number of clusters.

Lastly, we have literally had normal life here for over 9 months. Pretty much no social distancing, masks, etc. If infections had been widely seeded, it could easily have got out of control of our (less than battle hardened) test and trace system, and no one wanted to risk having to have a Melbourne style 4 month hard lockdown.

In my view, our 5 day lockdown is the price we have had to pay for insurance to maintain the very privileged lifestyle we have enjoyed in recent times.

Pleased not least becuase my cousin was one of those who met the guy.  Lucky outcome i think.

If your strategy is Zero Covid, i think you have no choice but to react like this until vaccination is complete.  Australia may not be high on the list of priority vaccinations globally I guess as the deaths are so low?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Had the vaccine on Tuesday at the Peepul Centre and was impressed at the organisation. Have had a few side effects though, which has wiped me out over the last few days. 

4b75n5.jpg

• Haha 1

Guest Harrydc

Why do people think I'm taking the p*ss for stating flu has dissappeared this year. The man himself - Chris Whitty stated that in his latest briefing. Go to 37.50  

I think an apology is needed. 

11 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Why do people think I'm taking the p*ss for stating flu has dissappeared this year. The man himself - Chris Whitty stated that in his latest briefing. Go to 37.50  

Yep, this time of year the ICU's are usually full of Flu patients. Not had a single one this year.

Yeah didn’t Australia report very similar off the back of their winter (our summer) in regards to flu? Given lockdowns and social distancing rules built for even more infectious illnesses as well as flu jabs being offered for everyone over 50 it’s not surprising.

Someone on the bluemoon forum posts daily hospital data, I have a look every now and then and over the last couple of months it always made for grim reading.

It would appear that deaths in over 80s now make up just under half of all hospital covid deaths. Not concrete yet, but It would appear the signs are very good with the vaccines currently in use .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrydc said:

The Flu has not been eradicated. 

The probable reasons that flu cases are so low is down to the measures put in place to prevent the spread of covid-19 for the last 12 months. That and maybe covid suppresses/blocks the flu virus? 

People got on your case because your initial post stated that the flu had been eradicated. The post I’ve quoted, you stated that all Whitty said was that it had disappeared THIS YEAR. 

Guest Harrydc
34 minutes ago, stix said:

The Flu has not been eradicated. 

The probable reasons that flu cases are so low is down to the measures put in place to prevent the spread of covid-19 for the last 12 months. That and maybe covid suppresses/blocks the flu virus? 

People got on your case because your initial post stated that the flu had been eradicated. The post I’ve quoted, you stated that all Whitty said was that it had disappeared THIS YEAR. 

So the flu hasn't been eradicated in the UK this year? Am I missing something? 

Re flu - it was almost certain flu would be at a low level this year given the lack of social interaction. This was noticed in Australia where there were very few - there are concerns it will be much harder to produce an effective vaccine for Nov/Dec this year as the variants found in Australia are usually used to help formulate UK version.

2 hours ago, Harrydc said:

They asked you to clarify what you meant when you said:

14 hours ago, Harrydc said:

So it's been confirmed now that the flu has been completey eradicated. It'd be interesting to know how many people are hospitalised by the flu on a yearly basis usually. 

Given that eradication of the flu would be major headline news, and given we've known for some time that flu and other common airborne infection rates have dramatically fallen in the wake of Covid measures, it's fair for people to ask that.  

• Like 1

By the current trajectories we should hopefully see sub 10,000 positive cases announced on monday which would be amazing. Every graph is now showing a steep drop which is so pleasing to see. The figures should be looking brilliant by the first week of march.

• Like 2