Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 hours ago, Mapperleyfox said:

Totally agree. A beer in a pub, or a meal out, or going to watch the game are not luxuries, they are part of most people's normal lives and should be again as soon as it's safe to do so. I do not want to wait until Chris Whitty & Co dance on the grave of the very last Covid victim to be able to do this.

The vaccine rollout numbers look great, but they're only a measurement of a means to an end, and many people, including me, are getting impatient to learn when and how things are gonna get back to normal, because we've been locked away for the best part of 12 months, struggling with mental health and coping with reduced incomes or no jobs at all.

I'm trying to be optimistic but if experience has taught us anything it's that come the 22nd of Feb, we'll be sorely disappointed in whatever plan they come up with.

I'm sure that for a lot of people in the UK, that is what is thought of as "normal lives".

However, I daresay many other folks in the UK and certainly around the world would have a different definition of normal lives and if this pandemic has taught us anything, it's that that definition can change very, very quickly - and perhaps humans should be ready to adapt to that change or get very, very good at fighting nature in order to maintain the status quo. Basic rules of evolution, after all.

Tomorrow isn't always going to be like today or yesterday and the more we're ready for that, the easier things might be.

22 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

"Going back to normal" is not a thing that will happen for 18 months at least. Yes the vaccinations allow for us to be out in public in an indoor setting in this country but that's the point where locking borders becomes most important to reduce the risk of variants from countries not immunised coming in. I wouldn't book any foreign holidays if I were you. That's what makes the crowing about our vaccine rollout so confusing, if normal for you is jetting around the world you want the whole world vaccinated at the same rate.

As shit as it is, I'd happily write off foreign holidays this year if it meant we were back to a proper normal from May onwards, I'd just do weekends away or go to Skeggy and relive my youthlol

The fluctuations in daily vaccines according to Hancock is purely down to the vaccine supply being available.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Is she taking the piss 

Isn't this what viruses do...? 

She was surprised that there was a rise in demand for tests back in September when schools and universities returned.

Almost as though she's absolutely crap.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

South African variant desperately being wheeled out at every opportunity lol 

Just saw the bbc with a headline saying it's been found in Scarborough, followed by a few paragraphs saying it's linked to international travel and that they have been isolating, so no risk to local community lol

27 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Is she taking the piss 

So the NHS has been vaccinating for mutated strains of influenza viruses for as long as I can remember by just pot luck then? This woman and her moronic private sector contractor mates are a shambles. No wonder the West is in permanent decline if this is our brightest and best.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Almost like plenty said this would happen given her history lol

She's trying her best. Leave her alone. Some people just want to bash this government and their cronies etc etc etc.

Harding presiding over that humungous data loss should have ruled her out of any data related positions for years. Instead Johnson and his vultures of avarice award her with a gigantic contract that she, almost objectively, stuffed right up. She's compounded that by showing total idiocy in the public forum. 

If I were part of this government, and I'm so glad that I am not, but if I were I'd be hammering her door down to point out her gigantic incompentence and suggesting that she pack her bags before I find cause to pack them for her. I'm assuming that would be as easy as pie. 

It's disgraceful that civil servants are held to a professional standard way below that of the government and governmental bodies.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Is she taking the piss 

The more I look at this, the more I feel it has to have been taken out of context somehow. Whatever you think of her, she can’t be that stupid, surely?

Did she mean nobody could predict the exact way the virus would mutate?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dunge said:

The more I look at this, the more I feel it has to have been taken out of context somehow. Whatever you think of her, she can’t be that stupid, surely?

Agreed, I would like to see a bit more of the quote and its relationship with the text added for context on mutations.  The quotation marks ending where they do does seem to be a little bit convenient and open to add any context to. I am not saying it’s not true, just that Twitter is not what I would deem a reliable resource.

9 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Yes I think so.  

The vaccines target the spike which is used to attach to our cells.  It was hoped that this wouldn’t mutate much as most changes in that area would lead to the virus not being able to attach.  Unfortunately the virus has “found” a change which gains it an advantage.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Izzy said:

National clap for Captain Tom at 6m tonight. I'm sure like me you'll all be missing kick off to take part in such a historic event :ph34r:

Captain Sir Tom Moore: National clap announced by PM for fundraiser

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-55917475

That's odd. I thought Johnson didn't believe in gestures?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One real positive of this, and those who frequently criticise me for position will appreciate this, they've given some concrete information to education WAY in advance. 

Argument over the timing of the return but none over the delivery. It gives SLTs and LAs time. 

• Like 1

March 8th is a 'possible' return date to schools for English children. Got a feeling this will be the date, or a week late, as 10 million people will have immunity come the end of February.

Looking forward to the plan being announced on February 22nd, hopefully they don't delay it, it'll give us some hope and something to look forward to.

1 hour ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

just booked my appt to donate plasma. anyone here done it ? what was it like ? 

It’s no problem as long as they can find a decent vein .... you do need to concentrate - squeezing your hand  together when the blood is going out and not squeezing when it’s coming back.  The last time I did it I got distracted and started squeezing on the return and this caused the donation to be aborted and some ugly bruising to appear a few days later.  When I was doing  it they left 2/3 weeks between each appt but I believe that they now ask you to come back between one and two weeks 

I did read a report that there was no evidence that the plasma had made any difference to ill patients but it seems the program is continuing