Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Not sure that rapid tests are the best way to get nightclubs and gigs going again. Be rubbish if you've travelled somewhere for the weekend, then you find out 15 mins before the event that you've tested positive and you've wasted a tonne of money.

If the aim is 0 infections then were in for a looooong long wait. 

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

So no taking anything on board, just doubling down and flouncing off lol Fair enough.

Unfortunately the anti-vax crowd won't alter any aspect of their viewpoint, generally. 

The idea that vaccines are dangerous gives them cause to feel individual and clued in - the wolf / sheep relationship with the general public - and all their beliefs are allowed to develop in the echo chambers of anti - vaccination message boards. They've done the research, so to speak, and they've read the truth. 

It's the wildest ****ing stand point of modern times and a real symptom of the age of excess information. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Not sure that rapid tests are the best way to get nightclubs and gigs going again. Be rubbish if you've travelled somewhere for the weekend, then you find out 15 mins before the event that you've tested positive and you've wasted a tonne of money.

It's getting quite worrying that we've gone from a policy of reducing the strain on the health service (which I support) to now alarmingly chasing zero infections. As along as the virus evolves/mutates, it's going to be near impossible to achieve the latter and it's going to be at the major penalty of the economy. The opportunity for zero infections was missed this time last year and this is coming from someone whose been supportive of the lockdown strategy. 

Equally this vaccine passport/rapid test is doomed to fail, save the money and tighten up the track/trace service. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Can't wait to see a load of pissed up teenagers trying to get a covid test so they can go into a nightclub lol Nothing like a covid test to put a dampener on your evening 

I Imagine it wouldn't be like that, and it will something where you can get a test in the 24 hours prior and show proof of results but brings another level of organisation for a night out. Absolute non-starter I reckon, nightclubs slowly dieing anyway from what I ever see so they may be a thing of the past. 

14 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Can't wait to see a load of pissed up teenagers trying to get a covid test so they can go into a nightclub lol Nothing like a covid test to put a dampener on your evening 

I Imagine it wouldn't be like that, and it will something where you can get a test in the 24 hours prior and show proof of results but brings another level of organisation for a night out. Absolute non-starter I reckon, nightclubs slowly dieing anyway from what I ever see so they may be a thing of the past. 

Depends which ones you go to, the clubs in uni towns and cities are open most nights of the week and must be taking a battering at the minute.

I love to travel to a city for a gig and make a weekend of it. Imagine getting to the doors of a bar on the friday or the gig and then having to have something jammed down your throat and then wait outside in the cold for 15 minutes. Absolute buzz killer and that's if you pass. Imagine if there's a group of you out and one person fails. 

I don't see how it could work at all to be honest lol Then again I doubt any MP has been anywhere near a club of sorts in years. They'll be drinking swans blood  and smoking cigars in some underground gentleman's club haha.

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I'm curious what he said, I got tagged before he deleted it lol

Not much in relation to the people he tagged, to be fair. Just that he felt some of the comments got a little personal over the last few pages, and there was an element of 'I won't be told different'. These things are probably related, and at some point the lad needs to reflect on his part in attracting the more personal comments, but for now just needs to take himself away from talking/thinking covid for a bit.

22 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Depends which ones you go to, the clubs in uni towns and cities are open most nights of the week and must be taking a battering at the minute.

I love to travel to a city for a gig and make a weekend of it. Imagine getting to the doors of a bar on the friday or the gig and then having to have something jammed down your throat and then wait outside in the cold for 15 minutes. Absolute buzz killer and that's if you pass. Imagine if there's a group of you out and one person fails. 

I don't see how it could work at all to be honest lol Then again I doubt any MP has been anywhere near a club of sorts in years. They'll be drinking swans blood  and smoking cigars in some underground gentleman's club haha.

It won't work because it's an obstacle for businesses.

We've seen over the last year pubs still risk opening during closedown periods. Businesses will take the risk of admitting regardless because their finances are in utter ruins currently. Get found out, business gets fined, business goes pop but they were going to go pop anyway. Surely you use the existing system of track and trace and ensure all persons are logged on that. Make sure responses to that are rapid in the same manner Korea, Australia and Taiwan do. 

To top it off, it is going to suffocate the economy as a whole because the last folk to get a vaccine are going to be the heavy spenders (and the whole economy associated with universities). Same old waffle from MPs (of any party) where they come with a great 'plaster' to a solution (Rishi's Eat Out to Help Out another) without due consideration of the consequences and effects. 

Cynical part of me wonders if there's some another tidy contract been readied for a MP's mate or similar. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It won't work because it's an obstacle for businesses.

We've seen over the last year pubs still risk opening during closedown periods. Businesses will take the risk of admitting regardless because their finances are in utter ruins currently. Get found out, business gets fined, business goes pop but they were going to go pop anyway. Surely you use the existing system of track and trace and ensure all persons are logged on that. Make sure responses to that are rapid in the same manner Korea, Australia and Taiwan do. 

To top it off, it is going to suffocate the economy as a whole because the last folk to get a vaccine are going to be the heavy spenders (and the whole economy associated with universities). Same old waffle from MPs (of any party) where they come with a great 'plaster' to a solution (Rishi's Eat Out to Help Out another) without due consideration of the consequences and effects. 

Cynical part of me wonders if there's some another tidy contract been readied for a MP's mate or similar. 

I would not at all be shocked to see a company that has either recently existed or has no history in this type of thing suddenly get a juicey contract to produce this quick tests lol

I understand the caution after they kept making promises they couldn't keep last year, so I'm thinking to myself every story is a worst case scenario and unlikely to happen. It's still a kick in the balls that there's so much doom and gloom despite the speed we're vaccinating and the positive data coming out of Israel.

Weird that mutations are barely making the news this week as well.

17 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Honestly can't go much longer without seeing my family. Just hoping for some good news soon but all I seem to find is doom mongering. My mum hasn't even met our now 5 month old baby yet all I see is people breaking the rules willy nilly. 

Can't you see her in a park to see your child in-person, a good few yards from each other (unless she's shielding)?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

She lives in Leicester whilst we're in Norfolk unfortunately 

Does she live alone? 

She could form a support bubble with your household. 

Are either of you able to isolate for a couple of weeks before possibly meeting up? This would be the safest thing to do. 

4 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

The BBC article focused on the reluctance of NHS Leicester staff to take the vaccine taken from here I presume:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.11.21251548v2

Q: Why has this happened?

15thFeb-vax-percentage-1613464657.8124.jpg

Is it a reluctance or would it be due to quite a few nhs staff would have already caught the virus and therefore built up antibodies, similar to what’s happening in India.

1 hour ago, Stevosevic said:

Does she live alone? 

She could form a support bubble with your household. 

Are either of you able to isolate for a couple of weeks before possibly meeting up? This would be the safest thing to do. 

I imagine it would still be deemed unnecessary travel and she already has a support bubble with my sister. I'm willing to abide by the rules for as long as reasonably possible but the minute they start opening pubs etc I think that's when I've had enough and will take the risk of a fine to go see her. It's her 50th in June as well so would like to see her for that 

How can we get to zero infections? Nobody would be allowed to leave the house in that case which is impossible to keep the country going.

Again, you've got convince people to comply by persuading them it's a good idea. How long will it last for? What would the restrictions be? 

It'll be impossible to implement.

• Like 1