Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 minutes ago, Line-X said:

That settles it then

Yeah I wouldn't take it gospel even if it was true when they were leaked it I'm sure it'll be subject to change.

• Like 2

Covid-19: World's first human trials given green light in UK
Published1 hour agocommentsComments

Healthy, young volunteers will be infected with coronavirus to test vaccines and treatments in the world's first Covid-19 "human challenge" study, which will take place in the UK.

The study, which has received ethics approval, will start in the next few weeks and recruit 90 people aged 18-30.

They will be exposed to the virus in a safe and controlled environment while medics monitor their health.

The UK has given doses of a Covid vaccine to more than 15 million people.

Human challenge studies have played a vital role in pushing the development of treatments for a number of diseases, including malaria, typhoid, cholera and flu.

How will we know if the vaccine is working?
When will lockdown rules be reviewed?
Oxford-AstraZeneca jab to be tested on children
The trials will help scientists work out the smallest amount of coronavirus needed to cause infection, and how the body's immune system reacts to it.

This will give doctors a better understanding of Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus, which will feed into the development of vaccines and treatments.

More about it here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56097088

• Thanks 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-56095795

'Some Scottish school pupils could be partly taught from home indefinitely, the education secretary has acknowledged.'

'Seamus Searson, general secretary at the Scottish Secondary Teachers' Association, said it important that social distancing was enforced in secondary schools.

He added: "We also would like to see that pupils wear face coverings at all times. And equally and more importantly for us is that when youngsters refuse then they shouldn't be allowed to be in school."'

We're genuinely going to have a whole generation massively disadvantaged, it's tragic.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Wow.

What's the rationale behind our maximisation of first doses? Looking at this data, you'd think lockdown measures could be eased more rapidly if the 15,000,000 doses had have been delivered to far fewer people. I think I read we have about 500k people that have had both jabs. Wouldn't it have made more sense for that number to be closer to 7.5 million, with the same number of total doses administered?

22 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Wow.

What's the rationale behind our maximisation of first doses? Looking at this data, you'd think lockdown measures could be eased more rapidly if the 15,000,000 doses had have been delivered to far fewer people. I think I read we have about 500k people that have had both jabs. Wouldn't it have made more sense for that number to be closer to 7.5 million, with the same number of total doses administered?

I think the thinking is that the majority of protection is gained after the first dose anyway, with the second topping it up. I would imagine that the steep decline is because it's about 3-4 weeks after vaccinations began. It's a very uneducated guess though haha

In other news, the bbc seems to have ran out of stuff to talk about. Every day for the past 2 weeks it's been the same "news". 

Re-opening will be cautious

There's no plans for vaccine passports in the UK

The level of journalism is horrendous.

2 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Wow.

Israel is much smaller than the U.K. and they had in proportion a far higher number of doses available.

The  first dose of the vaccine starts to be significantly effective from week 3 and so will only impact hospitalisations a couple of weeks later.

The uk view ( which is unproven as yet) is that the graph would look much the same if the Israelis had delayed the second dose, and that for the U.K. with a more limited supply it was better to give 15M people 75% protection rather than 7.5M people 80%.

The percentages may differ between the two vaccines, but the U.K. view is that the second dose gives a small added benefit and is more about building a longer term protection.

Edited by Stivo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, davieG said:

According to the Mail

Image result for Road Map out of lock down

Scottish Version

Image result for Road Map out of lock down

I can do one better than this! According to The Telegraph...

When you take into account the over obsession with testing in the UK and an even lower than reported false positive rate to run through some projections, you're still nowhere near getting under 1000 cases a day.

Why is this being reported?  Surely this cannot be true can it?

Tune in Monday to find out!

Screenshot_20210217-162827_Samsung Internet.jpg

12 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

£4,500 expenses if you are 18-30 and don’t mind being injected with Covid for a clinical trial and two weeks in hospital 

Is it available as an alternative to staying in a quarantine hotel and paying £1500??

I have to say, throughout this whole thing I've said 'don't blame the people, blame the policy makers', but recently that stance has really been tested.

I know so many people my age and younger, and wider on social media that at this point just pay zero attention to the rules. They're not even hiding it at this point. Instagram story upon Instagram story of meet ups, and now Leicester women and our under 23s have been caught having a 20 person party. It's everywhere. 

Really getting p*ssed off to be honest. Government are shiit and people are arseholes. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, filbertway said:

Positive news for outdoor events and festivals surely?

From the reading I have done there’s very little risk of transmission outside unless you are singing or shouting.... so not good for festivals or full capacity crowds at the football unfortunately 

3 hours ago, Nod.E said:

I have to say, throughout this whole thing I've said 'don't blame the people, blame the policy makers', but recently that stance has really been tested.

I know so many people my age and younger, and wider on social media that at this point just pay zero attention to the rules. They're not even hiding it at this point. Instagram story upon Instagram story of meet ups, and now Leicester women and our under 23s have been caught having a 20 person party. It's everywhere. 

Really getting p*ssed off to be honest. Government are shiit and people are arseholes. 

The people have always had a part to blame in this whole pandemic. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nod.E said:

I’m glad you’ve finally seen the light. It’s just a shame it’s taken so long

The UK is almost impossible to govern now. Yes, the politicians have made mistakes, but I look at so many people in this country now (you can see it on this very forum too) and it makes me shake my head in disbelief. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nod.E said:

I thought you were in your late 60’s or older?

• Haha 1