Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

45 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I imagine it would still be deemed unnecessary travel and she already has a support bubble with my sister. I'm willing to abide by the rules for as long as reasonably possible but the minute they start opening pubs etc I think that's when I've had enough and will take the risk of a fine to go see her. It's her 50th in June as well so would like to see her for that 

I don't know your personal situation but if it was me I'd have taken a few days off prior and then visit them, obviously might be a bit diferent if they're extremely vulnerable or whatever.

We'll never ever get zero infections to those discussing it, just won't happen. I can't see this testing before going into a nightclub working nor being popular either, the quick tests aren't very reliable so people with COVID would still be going in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Is it a reluctance or would it be due to quite a few nhs staff would have already caught the virus and therefore built up antibodies, similar to what’s happening in India.

If you take a read through the article the issue regarding antibodies is addressed there.

Although the sample size is relatively small, roughly 19000 people, the fact that they're all from the NHS should scream out overwhelming bias towards being pro vaccination.  In fact, the biggest take up in this sample are the admin staff with doctors and nurses coming in last.

Yesterday evening I tuned into the ITV news for a change from the doom and gloom of the BBC, only to be presented with another member of Imperial going on about models.  Despite taking most of this with a pinch of salt, the fact that if for example only 90% of the population take the vaccine with a 90% success rate this then translates to 81% coverage, not exactly ideal.  A fairly simplistic view but it got her message across amongst the crazy modelling she proposed.

Take our sample above though as a possible uptake of only 65% across the population and there you have a big problem as far as easing restrictions are concerned.

So my 7 year old granddaughter has just tested positive for Covid which she seemingly caught off of her teacher where she goes to a 'special School' where there's lots of space and outdoor activities.

So any rush to get kids back into cramped class rooms or people back to work in cramped airless offices needs to think hard about it.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, davieG said:

So my 7 year old granddaughter has just tested positive for Covid which she seemingly caught off of her teacher where she goes to a 'special School' where there's lots of space and outdoor activities.

So any rush to get kids back into cramped class rooms or people back to work in cramped airless offices needs to think hard about it.

That's scary. Hope she's OK Davie

4 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

That's scary. Hope she's OK Davie

Thanks  :fc:  Not had a chance to ask as just had a text from my son who's now awaiting his test.

6 minutes ago, davieG said:

So my 7 year old granddaughter has just tested positive for Covid which she seemingly caught of her teacher where she goes to a 'special School' where there's lots of space and outdoor activities.

My missus works at a SEN school and they've really struggled with cases there. Unfortunately due to the nature of the kids they teach, social distancing etc is out of the question for quite a lot of the kids to understand. What is good is the whole staff are being vaccinated already so hopefully something similar happens. 

Hope she's ok

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, davieG said:

So my 7 year old granddaughter has just tested positive for Covid which she seemingly caught off of her teacher where she goes to a 'special School' where there's lots of space and outdoor activities.

With respect, the scary part of this is whether she will come into contact with unvaccinated, vulnerable folk.

It's why primary-aged kids should go back first - their parents are younger.

The danger of schools going back is that kids and teachers contaminate one another and spread it once they get home. Then those at home that get it spread to people they come into contact with,  etc etc.

This is why prioritising schools seems really odd to me. People still have their lives limited to a non-existence, businesses continue to go out of business, but a breeding ground for infections (class rooms) IS allowed to continue. It totally undermines my and others' sacrifices in abiding by the rules of lockdown. It's tantamount to the worst of both worlds in my eyes.

Her getting the virus, in isolation, shouldn't be cause for concern. Take comfort from the fact that, if kids were at risk, the media wouldn't have let that newsworthy shockbait go by without milking it for all it's worth! And the data shows that cases of hospitalisations barely register in people under 30, let alone school age.

My well wishes are with you in the hope your son is young and healthy enough for this news not to cause concern.

Edited by Nod.E

It is probably an attempt to compensate for the upheaval of shutting last spring and summer and missing the four months of classroom education. Plus it could well be a vote winner with parents.

I have two issues with the schools going back- 1) That school staff haven't been vaccinated and are expected to work in full classrooms. Although children may not be severely affected by it they can still spread the thing, I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable going in and 2) It appears that schools reopening will drive decision making so if cases go up (as they will) everything else will be pushed back. The country shouldn't be on hold to just get schools back in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

These early leaked roadmaps on social media are very very worrying, I hope it's nothing like they're saying. I guess we'll find out on Monday.

Have you got any examples? What’s the jist? I haven’t seen any media sources reporting on roadmaps and they love a leak so I wouldn’t be too worried.

26 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

These early leaked roadmaps on social media are very very worrying, I hope it's nothing like they're saying. I guess we'll find out on Monday.

Prepare for the worst.  The fact that the media have given airtime to more ott Imperial modelling this week suggests it's an indication of what is to come in next week's slide presentation.

Also someone I know, despite being vaccinated two weeks ago, has now been told to stay indoors until March 31st at the earliest.

It doesn't bode well.

The fact nurseries have stayed open throughout the latest lockdown and I've not heard any particular bad stories about cases suggests that at least early years primary school could return in reasonable confidence. Can only speak from personal experience of course, but my son's nursery has managed to get through the latest lockdown with a single case, and this is with little to no social distancing, staff aren't even wearing masks, well they don't at pick-up or collection times anyway. I appreciate we live in an smaller area and no big sign of any variants yet. 

I know expecting kids to social distance amongst themselves is difficult but surely teachers should be able to social distance themselves from kids for most of the day? Be different in special support schools obviously but in mainstream schools it's possible to limit contact.

8 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Have you got any examples? What’s the jist? I haven’t seen any media sources reporting on roadmaps and they love a leak so I wouldn’t be too worried.

2 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Prepare for the worst.  The fact that the media have given airtime to more ott Imperial modelling this week suggests it's an indication of what is to come in next week's slide presentation.

Also someone I know, despite being vaccinated two weeks ago, has now been told to stay indoors until March 31st at the earliest.

It doesn't bode well.

What DavieG said.

Telegraph also reporting we'll continue to lockdown until there's less than 1k cases per day.

Obviously could be bollocks but we know this Government love a leak.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

The fact nurseries have stayed open throughout the latest lockdown and I've not heard any particular bad stories about cases suggests that at least early years primary school could return in reasonable confidence. Can only speak from personal experience of course, but my son's nursery has managed to get through the latest lockdown with a single case, and this is with little to no social distancing, staff aren't even wearing masks, well they don't at pick-up or collection times anyway. I appreciate we live in an smaller area and no big sign of any variants yet. 

I know expecting kids to social distance amongst themselves is difficult but surely teachers should be able to social distance themselves from kids for most of the day? Be different in special support schools obviously but in mainstream schools it's possible to limit contact.

There was an outbreak at my kids' nursery here in SE London at the beginning of Feb. 4 kids and 4 staff ended up testing positive. Should say cases in my part of the country were extremely high generally at that point.

Edited by martyn

44 minutes ago, davieG said:

According to the Mail

Image result for Road Map out of lock down

41 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

What DavieG said.

Telegraph also reporting we'll continue to lockdown until there's less than 1k cases per day.

Obviously could be bollocks but we know this Government love a leak.

Thanks lads. 

Am I reading into this wrong but outdoor sport are available from April but ‘leisure will be back to normal in July’? So gyms aren’t open until July? 

21 minutes ago, martyn said:

There was an outbreak at my kids' nursery here in SE London at the beginning of Feb. 4 kids and 4 staff ended up testing positive. Should say cases in my part of the country were extremely high generally at that point.

As posted above my Granddaughter and her teacher have both got it and passed it on to my son, don't the extent of it at her school though.