Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

6 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I can see how the £1000 payment per employee retained until 31st Jan might help some businesses that are currently borderline non-viable. It might be enough to persuade some such to give it a go until January, when they'd have otherwise closed or made severe cutbacks immediately. That might give them a few months to assess the impact of Covid19 on demand over a longer period - and to work out ways of adapting their business to recover viability.

But the obvious risk is that customer demand remains inadequate (with or without a 2nd wave) or that their business simply cannot be made viable while social distancing measures apply, as overheads (not just labour costs) remain higher than income.

That risks up to £9bn of public funds (probably less) being wasted, essentially keeping jobs & firms going for a few months when they have no real future - IF demand doesn't recover or viability is no longer feasible due to distancing.

Of course, it won't be a waste if demand does recover - and particularly if social distancing can be greatly reduced or eliminated (vital to the viability of hospitality, aviation & possibly rail & high-street retail, I'd have thought).

But that shows the economic (as well as health) importance of getting on top of the virus and keeping on top of it, so that people feel safe going out to pubs/shops, taking planes/trains or whatever - and feel confident in the authorities.

I suppose there'll be punters at each extreme - those who'll go out regardless of what happens and those who'll be too scared regardless.

But I imagine that a lot (myself included) will be somewhere in the middle.....ready to go out and spend, use services or travel if the risk seems low, but not if it seems high - or if they don't trust the authorities to tell the truth & keep folk safe(ish).

The government should put that 9 billion in peoples pockets by reducing income tax for a period, if people have money to spend, they'll spend it which will kickstart the economy. Firms could also reduce wage's and consequently employ more people because it's the net that counts to most people. You can't get an economy going by simply paying firms to employ people, although the bbc seem to do quite well out of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

The government should put that 9 billion in peoples pockets by reducing income tax for a period, if people have money to spend, they'll spend it which will kickstart the economy.

Nice idea but not sure it would work; if it was for 6 months it would probably average around £10/week per income tax payer (amd only half total population pay income tax) so I doubt if this would have the desired effect

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Re: kick-starting the economy.

Can people please do it by going out to real shops? :thumbup:

I can't deliver any more parcels per day than I already am. :cry:

Nah **** that mate. Just need more of you boys, shops are done.

9 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Re: kick-starting the economy.

Can people please do it by going out to real shops? :thumbup:

I can't deliver any more parcels per day than I already am. :cry:

Unfortunately this could be the end for a lot of high street shops now. My girlfriend had to take something back to Pandora at Fosse Park a gift which she got before 2 days before lockdown. Just under 2 hours it took her to queue and then get served. Something that under normal circumstances would take 20 minutes. 

I order most of stuff online, easy hassle free and it comes with next day delivery (unless it’s Hermes)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

A story in a few acts.

I actually find this incredibly saddening - I'd much rather a person like that be alive to live a better life now that they know what real consequence means.

Half of me thinks would they even change their ways? Some people have so much hatred so deeply instilled in them that they won't change regardless of any consequence.

The other half of me thinks it's incredibly sad that someone has died through COVID thanks to their own ignorance but how much have they spread while being out and about before getting tested :dunno:

23 hours ago, MPH said:

waiting for my test results to come back in but it’s nailed on i have it.

the aching is bad, the constant coughing is so annoying and painful the fever/ shivers  keep me up at night, but i have experienced all that in one way or the other before...however the weirdest thing about it is not being able to taste or smell anything... it’s just bizare to put a piece of chicken in your mouth and taste NOTHING. just feel this slime like slug thing in your mouth and then the exact same thing with broccoli.. NOTHING... can’t taste any drinks they all taste like water. it’s put me off my food to be honest and i have lost a few pounds but i needed to anyway lol

my wife got it too at the same time ( had a family member pop in for a few ) and it’s been difficult trying to watch the kids when we have both been laying there like we just got K’Od by Mike Tyson... rough few days. 

It’s mad though because i had been working with covid-19 patients and had been so careful never to take my mask off or bring anything home.. ONE relative stops by and BOOM. was so mad..

Couple of questions, have you had your result back yet?

And whereabouts in the country are you based?

I hope you and your wife get well soon.

1 minute ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

The scare mongering by the media is ridiculous, headlines like Corona virus local hot spots where cases have surged, so on further reading they’ve surged to 36 cases per 100.000 people. 

if it doubles twice from there then it will get to Leicester levels .......

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

if it doubles twice from there then it will get to Leicester levels .......

Which in the grand scheme of things is still small, but as I’ve put in the Leicester lockdown thread I can’t see our lockdown ending anytime soon due to the lack of social distancing outside of the lockdown area

10 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Unfortunately this could be the end for a lot of high street shops now. My girlfriend had to take something back to Pandora at Fosse Park a gift which she got before 2 days before lockdown. Just under 2 hours it took her to queue and then get served. Something that under normal circumstances would take 20 minutes. 

I order most of stuff online, easy hassle free and it comes with next day delivery (unless it’s Hermes)

It’s all really sad, peoples lives destroyed by lockdown.

9 hours ago, Lionator said:

Couple of questions, have you had your result back yet?

And whereabouts in the country are you based?

I hope you and your wife get well soon.

Hello sorry for the delay in responding. I’m actually based in North Carolina. Yes I did get my test results back and they are positive. I can honestly say this is the sickest I felt in my life. Hopefully we all feel better soonHello sorry for the delay in responding. I’m actually based in North Carolina. Yes I did get my test results back and they are positive. I can honestly say this is the sickest I felt in my life. Hopefully we all feel better soon

• Sad 3

16 minutes ago, MPH said:

Hello sorry for the delay in responding. I’m actually based in North Carolina. Yes I did get my test results back and they are positive. I can honestly say this is the sickest I felt in my life. Hopefully we all feel better soonHello sorry for the delay in responding. I’m actually based in North Carolina. Yes I did get my test results back and they are positive. I can honestly say this is the sickest I felt in my life. Hopefully we all feel better soon

Take it easy mate....  get well soon x

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MPH said:

Take Vitamin D, dont take ibuprofen, seek medical help if you are not getting better after 5 days or getting increasingly short of breath.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MPH said:

Get well soon!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MPH said:

Sorry to hear this, get well soon sir!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Have to say that this virus has hugely varied symptoms but repeating yourself wasn’t one I’d heard about before now ........

stay away from the politics thread, full of coronavirus sufferers in there..

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MPH said:

Get well, keep safe and best of luck :thumbup:

• Like 1