Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Coronavirus infection rate in Leicester now twice national average
People are being urged to stick to the lockdown rules to save lives

ByTom MackSenior Reporter
09:36, 1 MAR 2021

The city council is pleading with people to follow the lockdown rules after Leicester rose to being the third worst area in England for coronavirus rates.

In a tweet yesterday evening, the council alerted residents to the fact that Leicester had a rate of infection twice the national rate.

In England the latest testing found that about 118 people out of every 100,000 had the virus, while in Leicester it is almost 253 out of every 100,000.

Leicester City Council urged people to "follow the rules to save lives".

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/coronavirus-infection-rate-leicester-now-5056755

10 minutes ago, davieG said:

The city council is pleading with people to follow the lockdown rules after Leicester rose to being the third worst area in England for coronavirus rates.

In a tweet yesterday evening, the council alerted residents to the fact that Leicester had a rate of infection twice the national rate.

In England the latest testing found that about 118 people out of every 100,000 had the virus, while in Leicester it is almost 253 out of every 100,000.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/coronavirus-infection-rate-leicester-now-5056755

Just like the people "following the rules" in many green spaces in London at the weekend...:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Don’t kid yourself mate. There are new cases popping up again 

Of course there are new cases but yesterday show the lowest daily cases and daily deaths since September (poss October).

We are on the right track.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, davieG said:

Zero chance we're in the ground for the Spurs game imo. 

1 hour ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

not selfish at all. sure there's many in the same boat. I know I was during the second one.

weather getting better, clear roadmap of how we get out of it, a lot more to be positive about this time round. just don't watch the footy :) 

Yeah I think it's the fact that we've got what seems like the light at the end of the tunnel so if thats taken away I can see mental health around the country being almost a pandemic in itself. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-56213042

A restaurant chain has asked furloughed staff to loan the firm part of their wages or face the sack, a union claims.

Tomahawk Steakhouse wants employees to sign an agreement to lend 10% of their wages each month to cover their pension and national insurance contributions, the GMB Union says.

... you ****ing what now? :blink:

5 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I've just been called in for my first jab on Wednesday.

If I don't post after then, you'll know that the anti-vaxxers were right and I'm away conducting important business for Bill Gates.

There's absolutely nothing to worry about.  A slightly sore upper arm for a couple of days afterwards is the only thing you'll notice. The biggest danger is catching Covid-19 before the vaccine has had a chance to work its magic.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, String fellow said:

There's absolutely nothing to worry about.  A slightly sore upper arm for a couple of days afterwards is the only thing you'll notice. The biggest danger is catching Covid-19 before the vaccine has had a chance to work its magic.

Thanks and agreed. I was only joking. Good point about the need not to get too complacent immediately after having the jab.

I'd definitely take the risk of a slightly sore arm or even feeling a bit below par for a couple of days, rather than the risk of getting Covid (not negligible as I'm in my late 50s with a heart condition) - or spreading it, of course.

I had the flu jab for the first time a few months back and didn't even get a sore arm.....though 30 years ago I got more exotic jabs (cholera, typhoid & yellow fever) and felt like Mike Tyson had given me a dead arm and kicked me up the arse. :D

Hopefully, the 12-week wait for the 2nd jab should be nicely timed, too, as I'm hoping to get away for a week in June. :fc:

27 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I've just been called in for my first jab on Wednesday.

If I don't post after then, you'll know that the anti-vaxxers were right and I'm away conducting important business for Bill Gates.

Had mine a couple of weeks ago. 

Worst thing about it was looking at the other people queuing up and thinking 'Blimey,  am I as old as these bleeders? '

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, String fellow said:

There's absolutely nothing to worry about.  A slightly sore upper arm for a couple of days afterwards is the only thing you'll notice. 

Lucky you. I had terrible side effects for 24 hours after my jab. Shivering, chest pain, breathlessness, no energy, it completely wiped me out.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-56213042

A restaurant chain has asked furloughed staff to loan the firm part of their wages or face the sack, a union claims.

Tomahawk Steakhouse wants employees to sign an agreement to lend 10% of their wages each month to cover their pension and national insurance contributions, the GMB Union says.

... you ****ing what now? :blink:

Yeah, I know a hotel cleaner who cannot be furloughed as the government payments does not cover NI and pensions.  The firm cannot cover these themselves as they are not getting any income at all so it was a bit of a shitshow which seems not have been flagged up in media yet. 

Universal Credit also may cannot help either as if those affected lives in a household with their other half in employment then they would not be eligible so truly a catch 22 situation which is very sad.  

23 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Had mine a couple of weeks ago. 

Worst thing about it was looking at the other people queuing up and thinking 'Blimey,  am I as old as these bleeders? '

My mum went a couple of weeks back and when she returned she was moaning about how they had managed to call her up with a bunch of OAP's.

(The funny thing is she is 78) 

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Lucky you. I had terrible side effects for 24 hours after my jab. Shivering, chest pain, breathlessness, no energy, it completely wiped me out.

My mum had similar mate. At one point the shivering was that bad she said it felt like she was having a fit. Thankfully that only lasted for a few minutes. 

She said she'll still have the second jab but she's a little concerned that might happen again.

20 minutes ago, Izzy said:

My elderly mother and my sister both had the OxAZ vaccine. My mother had no side-effects, but my sister went into a 2-hour spell of shivering after about 6 hours. I had the Pfizer vaccine with no side-effects, apart from a sore arm.

4 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

My mum went a couple of weeks back and when she returned she was moaning about how they had managed to call her up with a bunch of OAP's.

(The funny thing is she is 78) 

A similar utterance by my grandfather went down in family legend.

He returned home from the village grumbling about the "old fool" he'd met who had annoyed him. Someone pointed out that he himself was over 80 and the other bloke was 10 years younger. 

• Haha 1