Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

19 minutes ago, Nalis said:

There are respectful walkers, runners and cyclists and there are also arseholes in those respective groups.

But the point made in yorkie's post is just factually correct. People inhale and exhale harder when running rather than walking and thats not even taking sweat into effect. No one is saying bans joggers, just that wearing a mask probably makes sense if the jogger cant avoid others.

Realistically how many cases will have resulted from people inadvertently breathing in air from a jogger that has got too close and also happens to be asymptomatic (obviously there's no way you're jogging with Covid symptoms). Obviously that's impossible to calculate but surely it's a totally insignificant number. Yeah there's a "risk" but that list of "risk" is infinitely long if you're taking every possibility into consideration. 

19 minutes ago, Nalis said:

There are respectful walkers, runners and cyclists and there are also arseholes in those respective groups.

But the point made in yorkie's post is just factually correct. People inhale and exhale harder when running rather than walking and thats not even taking sweat into effect. No one is saying bans joggers, just that wearing a mask probably makes sense if the jogger cant avoid others.

I'd probably say wear a mask if you're concerned about catching a relatively small amount of particles that disperse quite quickly. Seems a better idea than people trying to keep fit having to breathe in more cardon dioxide.

To be honest I've not come across any joggers that have got close to me that I've been annoyed by them. I try and walk at quiet times of the day and walk in places where i'm either out in the open. Get out at 7am or 7pm and you'll see very few people.

17 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I'd probably say wear a mask if you're concerned about catching a relatively small amount of particles that disperse quite quickly. Seems a better idea than people trying to keep fit having to breathe in more cardon dioxide.

To be honest I've not come across any joggers that have got close to me that I've been annoyed by them. I try and walk at quiet times of the day and walk in places where i'm either out in the open. Get out at 7am or 7pm and you'll see very few people.

If we're operating under the assumption that running by people outside, and let's not pretend joggers are making an effort to breath into the mouths of those walking, is of some risk the the idea of opening up any sort of school, business, or communal meeting area should be cancelled immediately.

If you can't pass a person outside then dozens and dozens of people sat in a room together breathing the same air must be ruled out immediately.

This is, of course, daft and in no way sensible. Joggers are not the problem, nor are gyms. It's schools, factories, and Universities. And that's something we're going to have to manage carefully. 

I've just got a text from my doctors asking to get the jab because I'm clinically high risk for over 16s (I'm 33) but I've not been to the doctors for years for any reason, I had antibiotics for a few chest infections in my 20s and been on different medications for mental health issues but nothing beyond that, could this be a mistake? Not nice to think I'm high risk when I'm a totally healthy and active 33 year old. 

3 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I've just got a text from my doctors asking to get the jab because I'm clinically high risk for over 16s (I'm 33) but I've not been to the doctors for years for any reason, I had antibiotics for a few chest infections in my 20s and been on different medications for mental health issues but nothing beyond that, could this be a mistake? Not nice to think I'm high risk when I'm a totally healthy and active 33 year old. 

Honesty wouldn't give it a moments thought, take the offer of the jab

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I'm sure i made a jokey comment on here about 6 months ago about the dangers of joggers.  Seems a study has now been launched about it. Why, throughout all of this, has common sense and the obvious been ignored.

"Trish Greenhalgh, professor in primary care health sciences at the University of Oxford, told ITV's Good Morning Britain: "There is no doubt the virus is in the air, there is no doubt that you can catch it if you inhale, and that someone else has exhaled.

"The exercising jogger - the puffing and panting jogger - you can feel their breath come and you can sometimes actually feel yourself inhale it, so there's no doubt that there is a danger there."

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Not just joggers either, some thoughtless cyclists also pass close by. It's not always possible to get out of the way as often you get blindsided. 

Needs to be an awareness campaign although it's pretty obvious to most. 

It might help if some ***** walking didn't take up the entire ****ing path! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I see joggers are in the firing line again. I really hope we eventually go after obesity and smoking like we have done to Covid, you know, to "protect the NHS". 

I'll agree to any proactive health initiative but you're drawing an unfair comparison: Being obese or smoking don't engender an immediate risk to the health of anyone you happen to be near (unless you're in the act of smoking that instant of course), entering the country while obese or with lung cancer doesn't carry the risk of causing a new pandemic.

49 minutes ago, filbertway said:

What do you mean?  Nobody's asking joggers to suck on a car's tailpipe, just to wear a mask.  Masks don't cause you to inhale less oxygen or more co2.  I wear one cycling to and from work, sure you notice the difference when you take it off but I think some people are really overplaying the inconvenience caused by a slight resistance to your ability to inhale.  It's nothing to be scared of.

6 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I'll agree to any proactive health initiative but you're drawing an unfair comparison: Being obese or smoking don't engender an immediate risk to the health of anyone you happen to be near (unless you're in the act of smoking that instant of course), entering the country while obese or with lung cancer doesn't carry the risk of causing a new pandemic.

Didn't say it did, but we need to #ProtectTheNHS, and given the financial pressure and operational burden smoking and overeating puts on the NHS, surely we should be going all we can to reduce that pressure. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OrielCaziado said:

People worrying about catching COVID via people they are passing in the street have serious problems ever getting over this pandemic in terms of living life again. 

The people not worried about catching COVID via people they are passing in the street have serious problems full stop.  At the very least if they aren't willing to take precautions in public then they should pipe down with their complaints about losing their freedoms while the country struggles to fight it.  People want everything solved at no inconvenience to them personally, that's understandable but an adult needs to accept that sometimes we have to do things we don't like for everyone else's benefit. The fear of masks is a good litmus test for society's ability to respond to external dangers and I can only conclude that we are sorely lacking as a nation.

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Didn't say it did, but we need to #ProtectTheNHS, and given the financial pressure and operational burden smoking and overeating puts on the NHS, surely we should be going all we can to reduce that pressure. 

I'm unaware of the operational burden it's causing, do you have figures for obese/smoker admission rates in relation to normal admission rates?  I have no doubt that an obese person or a smoker needs healthcare at a higher rate than average, that's just common sense, but I'm unaware of it being a big stress on the NHS.  I don't disagree with the intention, I just think it's an odd time to bring it up.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, OrielCaziado said:

People worrying about catching COVID via people they are passing in the street have serious problems ever getting over this pandemic in terms of living life again. 

Folk round here walk along the middle of the road to avoid approaching pedestrians. That's okay until some boy racer decides to roar down the road in his Subaru Impreza at twice the speed limit!   

Edited by String fellow

44 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I'll have it but I want to wait my turn, there's no way I'm high risk and even less chance I'll take it off someone who needs it. 

As has been suggested before on here,it might cause more hassle than it’s worth if you politely protest your good luck.Just get it done fella.There must be thousands of similar mistakes everyday.If you mention it at the centre,I’m sure they’ll just tell you to smile and get in line.

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I see joggers are in the firing line again. I really hope we eventually go after obesity and smoking like we have done to Covid, you know, to "protect the NHS". 

No problem with jogger except those, and it's a majority who occupy the centre of paths and overtake you so closely as if we weren't there.

40 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

The people not worried about catching COVID via people they are passing in the street have serious problems full stop.  At the very least if they aren't willing to take precautions in public then they should pipe down with their complaints about losing their freedoms while the country struggles to fight it.  People want everything solved at no inconvenience to them personally, that's understandable but an adult needs to accept that sometimes we have to do things we don't like for everyone else's benefit. The fear of masks is a good litmus test for society's ability to respond to external dangers and I can only conclude that we are sorely lacking as a nation.

I'm unaware of the operational burden it's causing, do you have figures for obese/smoker admission rates in relation to normal admission rates?  I have no doubt that an obese person or a smoker needs healthcare at a higher rate than average, that's just common sense, but I'm unaware of it being a big stress on the NHS.  I don't disagree with the intention, I just think it's an odd time to bring it up.

It's more a timing issue.  Fat people and smokers get ill and need healthcare and die.  So do thin people and non-smokers, but their need of healthcare may come ten or twenty years later.  Overall it makes little difference because of course few people live to a great age with nothing going wrong and then die peacefully in their sleep.

57 minutes ago, OrielCaziado said:

It is bizarre that, when walking along the roadside for example on the pavement, someone coming in the opposite direction will decide to cross the street and continue to walk on the opposite side past you before rejoining the same pavement.

Unfortunately, this is the result of constant scaremongering and fear inducing advertising alongside all the crazy figure headlines we've had time and time again for 12 months.  I see the 1 in 3 asymptomatic figure has been thrown about again this week and it's simply not true.  More and more evidence comes to light to show that it is not true.

But it's within the narrative of what's being discussed so this makes it ok.  Utter a word against it and you're completely shouted down.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Samilktray said:

I’ve never been close enough to a jogger to “feel their breathe”. Some people are just weird 

Well if you've taken a walk on a cold and frosty morning and have been overtaken very closely by a jogger you can clearly see their breath hanging in the air.

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Realistically how many cases will have resulted from people inadvertently breathing in air from a jogger that has got too close and also happens to be asymptomatic (obviously there's no way you're jogging with Covid symptoms). Obviously that's impossible to calculate but surely it's a totally insignificant number. Yeah there's a "risk" but that list of "risk" is infinitely long if you're taking every possibility into consideration. 

Maybe, maybe not but if these people and it's not specifically joggers behave like this when passing people it makes you question their overall awareness and how they are behaving in other situations.

3 hours ago, davieG said:

I still find when I go for a walk around the block with Mrs G we're the ones that move out of the way often onto the road and oncoming traffic people seem to be totally unaware. Fair enough families with pushchairs and small kids but this is the whole range from teens to oldies but clearly younger than us. As for cyclists I had two that have come so close that we touched. 

Oh and if we do move out of the way please don't shout 'thanks' a nod of recognition will do.

My experience as the person running is the opposite. It's especially bad when I'm the person expected to run into the road when I'm running in the same direction as the traffic despite the fact that people walking in the opposite direction are able to see straightaway whether there are cars coming or not. 

2 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

My experience as the person running is the opposite. It's especially bad when I'm the person expected to run into the road when I'm running in the same direction as the traffic despite the fact that people walking in the opposite direction are able to see straightaway whether there are cars coming or not. 

How is that the opposite I wasn't specifically calling out joggers, it's all sorts of people. It looks like you're having the same problem as me.

Leicester now has the second-highest coronavirus rate in England despite a sizable fall in its infection levels over the last week.

Latest Public Health England figures have shown again that while the virus is slowly abating in the city, the rate of decline is far slower than in most of the rest of the country.

An infection rate of 217.1 cases per 100,000 people, in the seven days up to February 25, marks a drop of nearly 15 per cent over the week, but still means the city is behind only Corby in 315 English council areas based on incidence rates.

5 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Are you not allowed to stop until they pass you.