Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

3 hours ago, CountrysideFox said:

image.thumb.png.a9bf328bcfb3acbbc60f6ef29898d81c.png

Vardy's touch map (steady now) from the 6 matches prior to the Villa game pre-lockdown indicate to me that he wasn't entirely willing himself to see the ball. I don't recall Maddison being played out of position, wasn't he mainly play on his favoured left-side of midfield? An element of Maddison's drop in form is down to N'didi's injury surely?

Management-wise, he got a few of our young lads playing and has moved the team on from Puel-ball. We finished 4 places higher than 18/19 too. I'm not sure what he's doing wrong philosophically, but I feel like that is a bit of a footballing criticism buzzword. The philosophy seems to be to try and win games, and I don't recall a game last season where the team was hiding.

However, I do think the 20/21 season could be something of a reckoning for Rodgers. He's hopefully more aware of the strengths and limitations of the squad, and the onus is on him to get early form out the squad.

I know I'm backing Rodgers at the moment, but you could be right on with this. Again, hopefully he's aware of the squad's strengths and limitations with regards to training workload.

After our prestigious start to the season, Rodgers instructed Vardy to not chase the ball down, as was his usual natural play, in order that he conserved energy to enable him to take more chances when they came. Confirmed as such by both Vardy and Rodgers in interview. Whilst the logic is there, it neuted the havoc Vardy causes for the team as a whole, he was prolifically scoring, why changeit?Better a 65 minute full on Vardy than a neuted replica imo.

As for Maddison in the same opening period, he successfully and creatively played behind Vardy. Rodgers then stuck him out on the left or even in a deeper role, it didn't work, many saw it and commented on it at the time, why? These are just two specific examples because you brought them up. The system was working without his obvious egotistical micro-managing. What ain't broke, don't fix it. You can reproduce as many techno heat maps as you like, they mean little in real terms, the proof was in the pudding, goals, influence and subsequently results. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

When BR first took over I remember reading that they practiced wining the ball back within 15 seconds and made it a competitive game when training.

Did BR burn them out ?

because by Xmas that pressing disappeared

But they then had quite a long lockdown rest, so... :dunno:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

This is completely spot on and articulates what I've thought for a while, that Rodgers' style has been a bit sussed. I think when you see Man City suffering issues as probably the best version of this type of side it doesn't really bode well for us. I maintain to this day we shouldn't have totally tried to overhaul our style. It was poor recruitment more than anything that hindered us rather than the style itself. It needed refining, not an overhaul.

Agree with that. Obviously it's easier said than done, but we should have transitioned towards Atletico's style. Able to keep possession when need to (we treated like a hot potato in 16/17), but still able to soak up pressure and hit on the counter against the big teams. The ability to press weaker teams at the start of 15/16 and then again 19/20 gained us so many points but the difference now is, Rodgers isn't pragmatic enough like Ranieri to sit back and play long ball when necessary. A bit more pace and fitness in the wings, and we could do a lot of damage to teams, if we can get that pressing ability back. But ultimately it'll mean nothing if we don't manage to work out a way to beat the big guns. We're never gonna out pass Man City, no matter what Rodgers says. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/09/2020 at 21:19, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I seriously think the double-whammy of being seriously outplayed by ManCity and Liverpool back-to-back over Christmas, coupled with the fact fixture congestion meant the main starting 11 didn't get back on in the saddle right away, really affected the team's confidence. And then the Covid scare in the squad -- the first in the Premier League -- was just the hammer.

I think this is the case, it was hard to watch those games. I think the youth of the squad also added to the above. Young players are not as mentally and physically resilient as experienced pro's, and perhaps got sucked into believing we were better than we actually turned out to be.

I also think those performances were so tough for some of the players that their confidence in BR (as well as their confidence in themselves) must have been wobbled.

Without covid I belief we would have CL football this season, despite the fall off after xmas

39 minutes ago, BrokenRecord said:

Agree with that. Obviously it's easier said than done, but we should have transitioned towards Atletico's style. Able to keep possession when need to (we treated like a hot potato in 16/17), but still able to soak up pressure and hit on the counter against the big teams. The ability to press weaker teams at the start of 15/16 and then again 19/20 gained us so many points but the difference now is, Rodgers isn't pragmatic enough like Ranieri to sit back and play long ball when necessary. A bit more pace and fitness in the wings, and we could do a lot of damage to teams, if we can get that pressing ability back. But ultimately it'll mean nothing if we don't manage to work out a way to beat the big guns. We're never gonna out pass Man City, no matter what Rodgers says. 

16/17 was horrid. I am so happy we have managed to get away from sitting back and surrendering possession against crap sides and not being able to control a game of football. August - December 19/20 is what i want us to be. High pressing, can kill teams on the counter attack whilst also being able to take control of the game and manage it. 

28 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

I think this is the case, it was hard to watch those games. I think the youth of the squad also added to the above. Young players are not as mentally and physically resilient as experienced pro's, and perhaps got sucked into believing we were better than we actually turned out to be.

I also think those performances were so tough for some of the players that their confidence in BR (as well as their confidence in themselves) must have been wobbled.

Without covid I belief we would have CL football this season, despite the fall off after xmas

So do I -- I think the Aston Villa game was a confidence booster -- and then bam

• Like 3

8 hours ago, John12345 said:

You can get 25 to 1 on him in the PL sack race . I don't think its a bad bet.

It's a terrible bet as It would cost us an absolute ****ing fortune and there is no way that decision would be taken before some other dullard get's sacked first. 

The contract improvements for him and his band of merry men almost make him untouchable at the moment. 

• Like 1

Rodgers has talked about developing players.  This is a massive season for him.  In the first half of last season, there appeared to be development.  So far, Soyuncu is probably the biggest success in terms of progress.  Choudhury,  a player I like and think could be top quality, seems to have not moved forward.  To be successful, we need to see progress from our players.  Tielemans, Maddison, Barnes, Justin, Gray, even N'didi, Fofana:  some of them need big seasons if Rodgers is seen to be developing players.

5 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Heading into next season with a moan, you love to see it. We really need a good start to the season if he's already starting out negative, this could snowball pretty fast.

Well people on here have been screaming for him to be honest... :whistle:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Foxy_Bear said:

So would you prefer he said "yes, our squad is strong enough", which we all know is a lie.... He was asked a direct question and answered it honestly. 

I'm more positive knowing he acknowledges the issues at hand. 

Now just needs support from above, which I believe he will get. 

I also think it goes in line with what the plan was anyway, to get business done right up until deadline day when there may be better deals as opposed to being priced out in summer months. 

So as well as the football coming back, I think it could be very busy off the field for the next few weeks. 

I'd hazard a guess at about 3 or 4 new faces at the very least coming in. 

I think we've probably taken a look at the opening fixtures and thought there's no harm in waiting until the final week.

That might seem crazy to some of the fans, but West Brom, Burnley and West Ham will be seen as winnable.. and who know what could be thrown up in an early season encounter with Man City.

As Stan says, definitely think we will get 3 or 4 in, even if 1 or 2 of them are clearly squad players.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Now just needs support from above, which I believe he will get. 

I also think it goes in line with what the plan was anyway, to get business done right up until deadline day when there may be better deals as opposed to being priced out in summer months. 

So as well as the football coming back, I think it could be very busy off the field for the next few weeks. 

I'd hazard a guess at about 3 or 4 new faces at the very least coming in. 

Totally agree. I just think they are trying to do their best for the club in the long run and not being bullied / allowing people to use the current climate as an excuse.

I loved it last season that the transfer window finished before the start of the season. It obviously wasn't possible this year really but I do hope we go back to it being closed before the season starts. 

I really think the next 3 or 4 weeks will throw up some strange results / form. No way players at any club are at full fitness could see that in England's performances last week. 

People need to realise we don't have a bottomless pit of money.

We have to negotiate hard as it maybe the difference between getting in 3-4 players rather than 2.

We will probably spend the Chilwell money +20m by the close of the window. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1