Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Luke55

Ayoze Perez

He's always been a squad player for us, perfectly fine to come on for the final 20 minutes, start the occasional cup game and be on standby incase of injuries. He'd be a much better player if he had pace, that's why we look so much better with Under and Barnes (whichever one plays), as they worry defenders and can quickly get up the field.

He still has a huge part to play this season, every player will be useful in their own right.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

He's showing the new FM he's running on Twitter, a few Leicester fans have been tweeting him and he's given a few copies of the game away to fans, so fair play to him

He doesn't seem like a bad bloke. To be fair, a lot of our squad seem grounded, likeable individuals.

Ayoze Perez Talks The Adventure From Tenerife To The Premier League

20 November 2020

Having crafted and grafted a journey from Tenerife to Tyneside and now residing in Leicester, Ayoze Perez is a player motivated by dreams - the of which was to play in the Premier League. Having registered that along with a spot in a side playing in Europe, it's with Leicester City where he is looking to out fox defences across the continent. Ambitions recharged, hungry for new heights and kicking back ready to go again, it's his words that spells out his story.

You’ve been in England for 6 years now - how would you describe the experience?

It’s been a long journey, a special journey. I’ve made my dream come true which was to make my debut in the Premier League. Since then, I would describe it as a truly special time. It’s been very positive for me and I feel like I’ve not only grown as a footballer but as a person too. I’m grateful for this time.

What was that transition like to go from the Canary Islands to Newcastle?

Well in terms of weather...it’s totally opposite. When it comes to culturally, I would say it’s actually quite similar in the football world. It was a big challenge for me. I was just 20 years old when I came to England. I took the decision to move away from home and I knew I would develop by coming to this country. I came to the UK with my brother to go in search of the dream together. To be honest though, I adapted really well. I’m proud of that. In football and in my personal life, everything went in the right direction. I started playing well as soon as I landed and since then, everything has been very positive.

How hard is it to come over to new surroundings, what did you do to settle in so quickly?

It was a new experience for me so I kind of jumped into it. It was the first time I flew out of Spain in my life. So it was a big change. When you touch down and when it comes to it going well, that’s all down to the person and how you approach it. I wanted to be here, I wanted to play in the Premier League and I’ve tried to make everyday count. I’ve tried to give my all too football and tried to make sure I have the best lifestyle to make sure my performances are at their best. I’ve adapted really well I think.

Does moving away from home and all of a sudden becoming a Premier League player make you grow up quickly?

I guess it’s quicker than normal. Suddenly you’re away from home, living on your own, still pretty young and without your mum and dad. They’re not there to look after you and do all the things you take for granted. You have to grow, you have no choice. You do mature quickly. I knew what I was going into so I took on the challenge with the right mindset. It helped having my brother with me. We are very close but have always been quite independent. It all helps you grow as a person, helps you understand more about yourself.

What was it like growing up for you - who first introduced you to football?

I remember myself being about five years old. Kicking a ball in the street, I would always be asking my parents to get me into any team that was going near where we were living. I had that passion to play and train every day ever since then. When I started playing in a team, that really helped things move forward for me. Since then to today, I have always had a ball in my feet, always had that passion for football.

What was it like going through the age groups at Tenerife? Did you ever think you wouldn’t be a professional player?

What I always thought was that it would always be a difficult task - to make it as a professional. Obviously we are a small island. That makes it incredibly competitive to make it as professional. It’s hard to get noticed and there’s a lot of people trying to make those dreams become a reality, there’s a lot of talent there. The first thought as a kid is that it’s hard to see becoming a professional being something real but step by step you’ve just got to try. You learn along the way and at some point, before you know it things are happening very quickly and you find yourself in a position where it can happen. It’s in your hands mainly. You do need that bit of luck because of the location. You need things to happen in the right place and the right time. I’d say that journey was hard but very enjoyable. I’m proud to say that I was one of the few that made it through from my generation. It was hard but it’s all history and was so so worth it.

What made you one of the people to break through? What do you have that others didn’t perhaps?

I think it was my mentality. I was in love with football. I always wanted to play football as much as I could. My family, my closest friends have been amazing too. At that age it’s so easy to get distracted but for me, I was so focused on football and I was so lucky to have the people around me that I did. I think they account for a lot of it. Being focused on my target of becoming a professional player kept me hungry.

Were there friends of yours that did get distracted who could have made it that didn’t?

There was some, yeah. There were some very good, very talented players that I grew up with. For whatever reason it didn’t work out for them. I just have to say that I believe everything happens for a reason. It was me, the one who made it. My brother was one of them. He could have made it back in the day but there are so many factors around whether you become a professional or not. Some factors are in your hands but some enormous ones aren't; luck isn’t always in your hands. It’s part of the process and part of the journey, you have to make sure you learn along the way and I’ve always done that.

What about the move to Newcastle, how much can you remember that moment? What was it like to be connected to so many clubs?

Yeah I was in Tenerife thinking about my future. I had a few offers. Some were very close to happening. FC Porto was a big one that very nearly happened. It was very close. There were also some Spanish teams interested. Newcastle got in contact with my agent while that was happening and they told me I was going to be an important player for them in the first team. That together with my dream of playing in the Premier League it made the decision for me. I did think about out a lot and I spoke to Collocini as well to get his idea. At the end of it all, I had to make a decision and it was all about the Premier League. When I look back now, I’m confident I made the right decision.

You chose Newcastle. What was it about the club? What surprised you about the change in scenery?

There were loads of changes. I used to play for a Championship team in Tenerife. I hadn’t seen anything beyond that. When I signed for Newcastle, everything was huge. The training ground, the stadium, even meeting players who I had been watching for years on TV. So many new experiences hit you all at once. It was a crazy experience. My first year there was a great year for me. I’ll never forget that year because it was a real transitional year for me into top level football. It was a great experience all round. At the beginning, you’re just trying to analyse things, understand things and see how it all goes on. You just have to take it in, observe and have confidence.

Which players was it that you looked at as idols who you were in awe of when you met them?

Many of them really. I’ve always watched so much of the Premier League. Coloccini, Pappe Cisse, Goufran, Jonas… so many players. I knew about the whole team before I joined. I could name them all. When I was younger, all I did when I wasn’t playing I would be watching football. I knew all the names, all the statistics. All of a sudden I was meeting them, sharing a dressing room with them. It was a nice experience and I adapted to it well. It was a great chapter.

It’s a kind of fight or flight moment. Coming to the Premier League, you have to go for it. What was that pressure like?

Yeah making your professional debut at any level is tough. Making that step for me from Spain to the Premier League in and around so many elite players, it’s a different level. My first game in the Premier League was against Manchester City. I remember walking out of the tunnel to warm up and looked at the other side of the pitch. You see the likes of Aguero, Silva, Toure and I was going to play against them. It was a little bit of a shock at the beginning but you just carry on and trust what you’re doing. If you just do your thing, do what got you to this place and keep working hard then you’re doing all you can.

It must be cool to hear those words come out your mouth now in showing you how far you’ve come?

Yeah, I mean now having played so many games, it becomes a bit more normal but I will never forget those moments and those feelings don’t go away. From seeing players on TV to being able to share a pitch with so many great players - it’s been a special privilege.

How insane is that fan base? Could you feel life change a little at that time. It’s a step up into the big time isn’t it joining a club like that…

There were many different episodes in the journey I’d say. In terms of individual performances, I don’t think anyone expected me to play as much as I did in that first season. I wasn’t sure whether I’d even make one appearance. I ended up playing most of the games that season. It was a great season. Obviously so much went on in terms of changing managers and all that but on a personal level I was very pleased with how I did. It was all a big challenge. Not many Spanish players have had much success playing for Newcastle so I enjoyed that opportunity. The second season was very different. We had such an amazing team. It was such a competitive year and we ended up getting relegated with a team so rich in talent.

The promotion back to the Premier League must have been a huge moment…

Yeah, there were a lot of ups and downs to get there but the fact that we had Rafa was huge. It was so good for the club, so good for the city and on an individual level, he’s a great person. He knows how to manage a team very well, he knows how to manage the club as a whole. He did very well for us. Getting relegated, it’s easy to get stuck in the Championship - people underestimate how hard it is to get out of that league - he fought a lot to try and make the club go in the right direction. We came back up strong and straight away. Then we had a couple of good seasons under Rafa.

He’s a massive personality. Who else has been big for you in the game? Who has helped you most since you’ve come to the UK?

Yeah I’ve been around a lot of good people who I can call friends. A lot of people have helped me along the way. You need good people around you in order to succeed. At some point you will need their support through the highs and the lows. It’s easy to have people around who are interested in you because of simply who you are. It’s important to make sure you only have people who can help you in the right way. Especially being away from home, in a different country.

The beauty is that you realise that. For a lot of young players they may get caught up in the attention and have bad influences…

Yeah these kinds of details really can make the difference in your career. It really can make an impact. That’s why it’s so important for me to make sure the environment around you is healthy. Whether that’s your family or your closest friends, it’s very important to make sure you have people around you who are genuine.

You have Mati Fondato sharing your house as well - A former player who is now a full-time artist - How much do you enjoy having that creative energy?

I met him many years ago because of Coloccini. Since my time at Newcastle we’ve been good friends. He’s doing his art which is something that I like. Going beyond that, more personally, we’re very good friends. He was a footballer and has been through a similar journey to me but is older. He’s someone who talks the same football language so he can help me through situations, give me advice mentally. It’s good to have that person you can talk to about the details of football with. It’s helpful for me, just as my brother is, who also lives with me. 

How would you describe yourself? Do you like to express yourself through what you wear?

I do always like to explore clothes, I like to see people’s personality through what they wear. I’m always looking around, seeing what people are wearing and I try to wear clothes that I feel represent me. It’s one of the things that I would say is not my main passion but it’s definitely something I have a big interest in.

There are a lot of characters and big dressers at Leicester. From James Madison to Chilwell when he was at the club. How much do you like it when people show character like that?

Ah I love it. I really love it. I like those kinds of personalities. I like the idea of showing who you are through what you wear. We live in a time nowadays where unfortunately people don’t wear certain things because they’re scared of what others might say. Having those players and those personalities who carry themselves with confidence, I like the way they help other people be confident. They don’t look or listen to negative opinions - I rate that. It sends out a good message. If people are open and show their personality, it lets people in, it lets fans know who that person is. I like the idea of someone opening their wardrobe and picking anything they like rather than what other people will say. That’s what personality means in my opinion.

What was it like coming to Leicester and also having such a price tag attributed to your name? If your dream was to play in the Premier League, to be playing in Europe with a team that has won the League in the past - that must feel special?

It took awhile for me to realise I could cost that amount of money just because they liked the way I play and they wanted me for who I am. It’s something that takes time to process. It’s quite surreal. But it does give you confidence. If a team is going to pay that much for you, it means you are doing something well. In the eyes of someone else, you’re getting well rated. You get confidence from that. You also think in a humble way, years ago, you were just living a normal life in terms of profession. Now a team is paying such a big amount for your services. It’s a shock but a great feeling. You know your worth at that point and you will do all you can to show that you’re worth it.

How hungry does it make you to keep working and to show how successful a player you can be?

I think that it brings pressure on you straight away. I don’t think that is bad though. It just means you need to prove that you are worth that kind of money. You have to prove to yourself as well that you are good enough to be in the position that I am. It has given me focus. It’s a time you have to say to yourself, you cannot mess this up and I know that if I just train hard and play well that I will have done all I can. Obviously it’s pressure but I think it is totally worth it.

How would you describe the process of being at Leicester - what’s this chapter been like for you?

It’s been great. Obviously when I signed, I spoke to the manager and he told me that the objective was to make it into European football. That sounds like a huge challenge but I like that ambition. It’s no easy thing. You could tell straight away the hunger, the ambition, the way they do things the right way and the way they want to do things in the future. At that point you just hope that everything goes in the right direction. It’s the way a club should be run. All the details are done well. We had a great season and before you know it, we’re in the draw and that ambition is being realised and we’re about to play in Europe. It was the right decision for me, it was a step up in my career and we’ve been playing attractive football, becoming one of the best teams in the Premier League. It was a great season last year. Seeing yourself in a team up there in the table - being in a team that wins quite regularly is a great feeling. It was what I was after before I signed.

Every new season comes with new challenges and there’s been no challenge quite like the last year with Covid - how have you found that process and getting back to playing again?

It’s been different. It’s not the same without fans. No one would have expected this to happen. Obviously a lot has happened and still so much is changing. Things are looking better now and on the pitch the team is doing well. We’re at the top of the league which is a huge achievement so far. We’re top of our group in Europe and it’s been about keeping the focus on football and all that we did last year. In these sad times, in the negative times for the world as a whole, we have to do our jobs in the best way we can. Hopefully soon we can have fans back and we can do everything as normal - we all miss the fans.

Given the levels that you have hit and the ambitions you have fulfilled, do you set new targets now as you look to this season?

Obviously I just want to improve and get better all the time both on a team and individual level. That has what has taken me to where I am now. I’ll never lose that ambition to keep getting better, to keep making big steps as a player and how I perform. That’s always in my head. At the same time you have to enjoy the process. I relish the fact that every year football gets more competitive. Teams sign better players every year and every year there are young players coming into the game. Every year is tougher but you can never lose that ambition to keep being a better player and a better person. It’s so important to enjoy the process too.

Are there things on and off the pitch, perhaps away from football as a whole are there things that you’d like to achieve or aspects of life you’d like to explore?

Right now, it’s all about football for me. We all know after football that we finish at quite a young age still. It’s something you start thinking about that little more each year. I have things in mind but I’d like to stay involved with football for as long as I live. Whether that’s as a coach or a manager, I’d just like to always be involved with the game. It’s my passion and what I love. Away from football, I’m a very calm person, very family orientated… I always had a dream to be able to make my family proud and happy and to be able to make them live in a great place and a great house. Striving towards that and being able to give back to them - that’s my version of “making it”. That’s something I always wanted and so now being able to give back to them and give them a good life is something very important for me. In the future, there are many things to achieve. We are a very close family and to make them feel proud and give them what they deserve is priceless. My family has been fighting their whole lives to be able to give us the best start in life. It’s something that I always wanted to do, to give back - I’ve made that dream come true.

Ayoze Perez's Leicester Travel to Liverpool this Saturday. You can follow him here.

Related Articles

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Peckfortonfox said:

Ayoze Perez Talks The Adventure From Tenerife To The Premier League

20 November 2020

Having crafted and grafted a journey from Tenerife to Tyneside and now residing in Leicester, Ayoze Perez is a player motivated by dreams - the of which was to play in the Premier League. Having registered that along with a spot in a side playing in Europe, it's with Leicester City where he is looking to out fox defences across the continent. Ambitions recharged, hungry for new heights and kicking back ready to go again, it's his words that spells out his story.

You’ve been in England for 6 years now - how would you describe the experience?

It’s been a long journey, a special journey. I’ve made my dream come true which was to make my debut in the Premier League. Since then, I would describe it as a truly special time. It’s been very positive for me and I feel like I’ve not only grown as a footballer but as a person too. I’m grateful for this time.

What was that transition like to go from the Canary Islands to Newcastle?

Well in terms of weather...it’s totally opposite. When it comes to culturally, I would say it’s actually quite similar in the football world. It was a big challenge for me. I was just 20 years old when I came to England. I took the decision to move away from home and I knew I would develop by coming to this country. I came to the UK with my brother to go in search of the dream together. To be honest though, I adapted really well. I’m proud of that. In football and in my personal life, everything went in the right direction. I started playing well as soon as I landed and since then, everything has been very positive.

How hard is it to come over to new surroundings, what did you do to settle in so quickly?

It was a new experience for me so I kind of jumped into it. It was the first time I flew out of Spain in my life. So it was a big change. When you touch down and when it comes to it going well, that’s all down to the person and how you approach it. I wanted to be here, I wanted to play in the Premier League and I’ve tried to make everyday count. I’ve tried to give my all too football and tried to make sure I have the best lifestyle to make sure my performances are at their best. I’ve adapted really well I think.

Does moving away from home and all of a sudden becoming a Premier League player make you grow up quickly?

I guess it’s quicker than normal. Suddenly you’re away from home, living on your own, still pretty young and without your mum and dad. They’re not there to look after you and do all the things you take for granted. You have to grow, you have no choice. You do mature quickly. I knew what I was going into so I took on the challenge with the right mindset. It helped having my brother with me. We are very close but have always been quite independent. It all helps you grow as a person, helps you understand more about yourself.

What was it like growing up for you - who first introduced you to football?

I remember myself being about five years old. Kicking a ball in the street, I would always be asking my parents to get me into any team that was going near where we were living. I had that passion to play and train every day ever since then. When I started playing in a team, that really helped things move forward for me. Since then to today, I have always had a ball in my feet, always had that passion for football.

What was it like going through the age groups at Tenerife? Did you ever think you wouldn’t be a professional player?

What I always thought was that it would always be a difficult task - to make it as a professional. Obviously we are a small island. That makes it incredibly competitive to make it as professional. It’s hard to get noticed and there’s a lot of people trying to make those dreams become a reality, there’s a lot of talent there. The first thought as a kid is that it’s hard to see becoming a professional being something real but step by step you’ve just got to try. You learn along the way and at some point, before you know it things are happening very quickly and you find yourself in a position where it can happen. It’s in your hands mainly. You do need that bit of luck because of the location. You need things to happen in the right place and the right time. I’d say that journey was hard but very enjoyable. I’m proud to say that I was one of the few that made it through from my generation. It was hard but it’s all history and was so so worth it.

What made you one of the people to break through? What do you have that others didn’t perhaps?

I think it was my mentality. I was in love with football. I always wanted to play football as much as I could. My family, my closest friends have been amazing too. At that age it’s so easy to get distracted but for me, I was so focused on football and I was so lucky to have the people around me that I did. I think they account for a lot of it. Being focused on my target of becoming a professional player kept me hungry.

Were there friends of yours that did get distracted who could have made it that didn’t?

There was some, yeah. There were some very good, very talented players that I grew up with. For whatever reason it didn’t work out for them. I just have to say that I believe everything happens for a reason. It was me, the one who made it. My brother was one of them. He could have made it back in the day but there are so many factors around whether you become a professional or not. Some factors are in your hands but some enormous ones aren't; luck isn’t always in your hands. It’s part of the process and part of the journey, you have to make sure you learn along the way and I’ve always done that.

What about the move to Newcastle, how much can you remember that moment? What was it like to be connected to so many clubs?

Yeah I was in Tenerife thinking about my future. I had a few offers. Some were very close to happening. FC Porto was a big one that very nearly happened. It was very close. There were also some Spanish teams interested. Newcastle got in contact with my agent while that was happening and they told me I was going to be an important player for them in the first team. That together with my dream of playing in the Premier League it made the decision for me. I did think about out a lot and I spoke to Collocini as well to get his idea. At the end of it all, I had to make a decision and it was all about the Premier League. When I look back now, I’m confident I made the right decision.

You chose Newcastle. What was it about the club? What surprised you about the change in scenery?

There were loads of changes. I used to play for a Championship team in Tenerife. I hadn’t seen anything beyond that. When I signed for Newcastle, everything was huge. The training ground, the stadium, even meeting players who I had been watching for years on TV. So many new experiences hit you all at once. It was a crazy experience. My first year there was a great year for me. I’ll never forget that year because it was a real transitional year for me into top level football. It was a great experience all round. At the beginning, you’re just trying to analyse things, understand things and see how it all goes on. You just have to take it in, observe and have confidence.

Which players was it that you looked at as idols who you were in awe of when you met them?

Many of them really. I’ve always watched so much of the Premier League. Coloccini, Pappe Cisse, Goufran, Jonas… so many players. I knew about the whole team before I joined. I could name them all. When I was younger, all I did when I wasn’t playing I would be watching football. I knew all the names, all the statistics. All of a sudden I was meeting them, sharing a dressing room with them. It was a nice experience and I adapted to it well. It was a great chapter.

It’s a kind of fight or flight moment. Coming to the Premier League, you have to go for it. What was that pressure like?

Yeah making your professional debut at any level is tough. Making that step for me from Spain to the Premier League in and around so many elite players, it’s a different level. My first game in the Premier League was against Manchester City. I remember walking out of the tunnel to warm up and looked at the other side of the pitch. You see the likes of Aguero, Silva, Toure and I was going to play against them. It was a little bit of a shock at the beginning but you just carry on and trust what you’re doing. If you just do your thing, do what got you to this place and keep working hard then you’re doing all you can.

It must be cool to hear those words come out your mouth now in showing you how far you’ve come?

Yeah, I mean now having played so many games, it becomes a bit more normal but I will never forget those moments and those feelings don’t go away. From seeing players on TV to being able to share a pitch with so many great players - it’s been a special privilege.

How insane is that fan base? Could you feel life change a little at that time. It’s a step up into the big time isn’t it joining a club like that…

There were many different episodes in the journey I’d say. In terms of individual performances, I don’t think anyone expected me to play as much as I did in that first season. I wasn’t sure whether I’d even make one appearance. I ended up playing most of the games that season. It was a great season. Obviously so much went on in terms of changing managers and all that but on a personal level I was very pleased with how I did. It was all a big challenge. Not many Spanish players have had much success playing for Newcastle so I enjoyed that opportunity. The second season was very different. We had such an amazing team. It was such a competitive year and we ended up getting relegated with a team so rich in talent.

The promotion back to the Premier League must have been a huge moment…

Yeah, there were a lot of ups and downs to get there but the fact that we had Rafa was huge. It was so good for the club, so good for the city and on an individual level, he’s a great person. He knows how to manage a team very well, he knows how to manage the club as a whole. He did very well for us. Getting relegated, it’s easy to get stuck in the Championship - people underestimate how hard it is to get out of that league - he fought a lot to try and make the club go in the right direction. We came back up strong and straight away. Then we had a couple of good seasons under Rafa.

He’s a massive personality. Who else has been big for you in the game? Who has helped you most since you’ve come to the UK?

Yeah I’ve been around a lot of good people who I can call friends. A lot of people have helped me along the way. You need good people around you in order to succeed. At some point you will need their support through the highs and the lows. It’s easy to have people around who are interested in you because of simply who you are. It’s important to make sure you only have people who can help you in the right way. Especially being away from home, in a different country.

The beauty is that you realise that. For a lot of young players they may get caught up in the attention and have bad influences…

Yeah these kinds of details really can make the difference in your career. It really can make an impact. That’s why it’s so important for me to make sure the environment around you is healthy. Whether that’s your family or your closest friends, it’s very important to make sure you have people around you who are genuine.

You have Mati Fondato sharing your house as well - A former player who is now a full-time artist - How much do you enjoy having that creative energy?

I met him many years ago because of Coloccini. Since my time at Newcastle we’ve been good friends. He’s doing his art which is something that I like. Going beyond that, more personally, we’re very good friends. He was a footballer and has been through a similar journey to me but is older. He’s someone who talks the same football language so he can help me through situations, give me advice mentally. It’s good to have that person you can talk to about the details of football with. It’s helpful for me, just as my brother is, who also lives with me. 

How would you describe yourself? Do you like to express yourself through what you wear?

I do always like to explore clothes, I like to see people’s personality through what they wear. I’m always looking around, seeing what people are wearing and I try to wear clothes that I feel represent me. It’s one of the things that I would say is not my main passion but it’s definitely something I have a big interest in.

There are a lot of characters and big dressers at Leicester. From James Madison to Chilwell when he was at the club. How much do you like it when people show character like that?

Ah I love it. I really love it. I like those kinds of personalities. I like the idea of showing who you are through what you wear. We live in a time nowadays where unfortunately people don’t wear certain things because they’re scared of what others might say. Having those players and those personalities who carry themselves with confidence, I like the way they help other people be confident. They don’t look or listen to negative opinions - I rate that. It sends out a good message. If people are open and show their personality, it lets people in, it lets fans know who that person is. I like the idea of someone opening their wardrobe and picking anything they like rather than what other people will say. That’s what personality means in my opinion.

What was it like coming to Leicester and also having such a price tag attributed to your name? If your dream was to play in the Premier League, to be playing in Europe with a team that has won the League in the past - that must feel special?

It took awhile for me to realise I could cost that amount of money just because they liked the way I play and they wanted me for who I am. It’s something that takes time to process. It’s quite surreal. But it does give you confidence. If a team is going to pay that much for you, it means you are doing something well. In the eyes of someone else, you’re getting well rated. You get confidence from that. You also think in a humble way, years ago, you were just living a normal life in terms of profession. Now a team is paying such a big amount for your services. It’s a shock but a great feeling. You know your worth at that point and you will do all you can to show that you’re worth it.

How hungry does it make you to keep working and to show how successful a player you can be?

I think that it brings pressure on you straight away. I don’t think that is bad though. It just means you need to prove that you are worth that kind of money. You have to prove to yourself as well that you are good enough to be in the position that I am. It has given me focus. It’s a time you have to say to yourself, you cannot mess this up and I know that if I just train hard and play well that I will have done all I can. Obviously it’s pressure but I think it is totally worth it.

How would you describe the process of being at Leicester - what’s this chapter been like for you?

It’s been great. Obviously when I signed, I spoke to the manager and he told me that the objective was to make it into European football. That sounds like a huge challenge but I like that ambition. It’s no easy thing. You could tell straight away the hunger, the ambition, the way they do things the right way and the way they want to do things in the future. At that point you just hope that everything goes in the right direction. It’s the way a club should be run. All the details are done well. We had a great season and before you know it, we’re in the draw and that ambition is being realised and we’re about to play in Europe. It was the right decision for me, it was a step up in my career and we’ve been playing attractive football, becoming one of the best teams in the Premier League. It was a great season last year. Seeing yourself in a team up there in the table - being in a team that wins quite regularly is a great feeling. It was what I was after before I signed.

Every new season comes with new challenges and there’s been no challenge quite like the last year with Covid - how have you found that process and getting back to playing again?

It’s been different. It’s not the same without fans. No one would have expected this to happen. Obviously a lot has happened and still so much is changing. Things are looking better now and on the pitch the team is doing well. We’re at the top of the league which is a huge achievement so far. We’re top of our group in Europe and it’s been about keeping the focus on football and all that we did last year. In these sad times, in the negative times for the world as a whole, we have to do our jobs in the best way we can. Hopefully soon we can have fans back and we can do everything as normal - we all miss the fans.

Given the levels that you have hit and the ambitions you have fulfilled, do you set new targets now as you look to this season?

Obviously I just want to improve and get better all the time both on a team and individual level. That has what has taken me to where I am now. I’ll never lose that ambition to keep getting better, to keep making big steps as a player and how I perform. That’s always in my head. At the same time you have to enjoy the process. I relish the fact that every year football gets more competitive. Teams sign better players every year and every year there are young players coming into the game. Every year is tougher but you can never lose that ambition to keep being a better player and a better person. It’s so important to enjoy the process too.

Are there things on and off the pitch, perhaps away from football as a whole are there things that you’d like to achieve or aspects of life you’d like to explore?

Right now, it’s all about football for me. We all know after football that we finish at quite a young age still. It’s something you start thinking about that little more each year. I have things in mind but I’d like to stay involved with football for as long as I live. Whether that’s as a coach or a manager, I’d just like to always be involved with the game. It’s my passion and what I love. Away from football, I’m a very calm person, very family orientated… I always had a dream to be able to make my family proud and happy and to be able to make them live in a great place and a great house. Striving towards that and being able to give back to them - that’s my version of “making it”. That’s something I always wanted and so now being able to give back to them and give them a good life is something very important for me. In the future, there are many things to achieve. We are a very close family and to make them feel proud and give them what they deserve is priceless. My family has been fighting their whole lives to be able to give us the best start in life. It’s something that I always wanted to do, to give back - I’ve made that dream come true.

Ayoze Perez's Leicester Travel to Liverpool this Saturday. You can follow him here.

Related Articles

'Ayoze Perez's Leicester Travel to Liverpool this Saturday'

But will he be on the 'bus'?

Hopefully, despite injury, we won't be that short.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

'Ayoze Perez's Leicester Travel to Liverpool this Saturday'

But will he be on the 'bus'?

Hopefully, despite injury, we won't be that short.

welcome back :appl:

On 17/11/2020 at 07:46, Spudulike said:

I look at things like this and know he has serious technical skills. I 'm really hoping working with Under really pushes him on. Don't think Perez has ever really worked with attackers of that skill level before.

Edited by SO1

2 hours ago, Trendy fox said:

Perez is a good player but he’s being played out of position all the time. Look at his record At Newcastle. He was top scorer there. He’s a bit like Okazaki. He’s Good player but not clicking in. 

I had a feeling about him when he was announced and I do expect it to work out for him here.

This is a very intimidating and competitive squad to play in. Just keeps on getting faster and better. Players improving all the time every match. Ultimately he has to produce what's expected or the squad will pass him by. And that goes for all of our players. No room for space takers in a club competing at the top of the league. Ayoze needs to be ruthless now, just like this club.

On 22/11/2020 at 00:04, SO1 said:

I had a feeling about him when he was announced and I do expect it to work out for him here.

This is a very intimidating and competitive squad to play in. Just keeps on getting faster and better. Players improving all the time every match. Ultimately he has to produce what's expected or the squad will pass him by. And that goes for all of our players. No room for space takers in a club competing at the top of the league. Ayoze needs to be ruthless now, just like this club.

did you think it was an improvement against Liverpool. Only 3 sides we have played in form we have lost to  and havent  scored. Hopefully wrong but I think position false