Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Luke55

Ayoze Perez

I honestly think players like Perez and other similar " PL experienced " players should be treated with caution when considering signing them. The due diligence teams like ourselves do on players, I wonder if when PL proven players become available with release fees, relegation clauses etc that the rigorous scouting goes out the window a little bit.

• Like 1

With Maddison and possibly Vardy back and Under available, together with how the team performed on Thursday, you'd have to be very disappointed to see Perez in the starting 11 tomorrow. Even on the bench it would be absolute groan material if we had to bring him on in the second half if we needed someone to make a difference. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, sdb said:

He's clearly a talent, and last season i thought he was harshly maligned by some. 

Can't defend him so far this season though.  Been really, really poor.

Clearly a talent?? What is his talent?? I haven’t seen anything from him that I would class as a talent. All he offers is work rate which should be a bare minimum for a pro footballer. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, frany104 said:

Clearly a talent?? What is his talent?? I haven’t seen anything from him that I would class as a talent. All he offers is work rate which should be a bare minimum for a pro footballer. 

12 goals/assists in 33 games from midfield is decent no? Aside from a world class Mahrez, who was the last player in that position to do the same? 

I think he and barnes both suffer in our system. BR wants inside forwards, not wingers  The full backs provide the width. But BR also wants the number 8s to push forward. So when we play well, tielemanns/maddison/praet end up in the space for the inside forwards. When we play bad, Perez and Barnes are too busy tracking their man down the wings, and so rarely pop up in the inside forward channel.

You can see why they've gone for someone that can work hard though. Support vardy, and track your man, and be part of the press.. Toughest gig in our team.

Edited by Fktf

2 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

He's frustrating at times but I still like him.

Useful player for us.

Don't get the extreme hate for him from many of our lot.

I agree. I think he gets a rough deal considering he doesn’t get to choose his position in the team. 
He’s clearly a team player and that makes him 6000 times more suited to the first team than the likes of Demarai Gray. 

14 hours ago, sdb said:

12 goals/assists in 33 games from midfield is decent no? Aside from a world class Mahrez, who was the last player in that position to do the same? 

Really!? Those stats are poor when you take out the Southampton game. Also it’s not all about stats. Barnes is a threat and worriers the opposition. Oppo teams don’t care about Perez. He isn’t a threat. Quite often he’s the oppo’s best player. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, frany104 said:

Really!? Those stats are poor when you take out the Southampton game. Also it’s not all about stats. Barnes is a threat and worriers the opposition. Oppo teams don’t care about Perez. He isn’t a threat. Quite often he’s the oppo’s best player. 

😅 OK. Take out games where he's good and he's been poor for us. Gotcha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sdb said:

😅 OK. Take out games where he's good and he's been poor for us. Gotcha.

Games?? I mentioned one game where the whole team had a purple patch. He’s not produced since he’s been here and isn’t good enough. If we want to challenge to be in Europe every year we need better than him. Simple as that. 

On 21/10/2020 at 22:00, oadby.fox said:

Was never convinced by the signing at the time it was made and my skepticism has only really grown since.

As others have said, we’ve bought an average player at a hefty price to play in a position which he hardly excels at. Seems like poor scouting and management in that respect and whilst he does offer something to the squad, I would quite happily exchange him for a number of other players which would be realistically attainable or similar in value.

Our signings up top have been particularly poor over the last few years and it’s something that needs to improve if we are to push on/be more consistent. 

Yes, he was better (or perhaps better deployed....) at Newcastle in his role as others have often remarked on here - and other club's fans have too who I know. He's often flattered to deceive here for the most part but unless he suddenly improves and becomes consistently very good, then in time one could even lump him in the same 'overpriced' flop category as Slimani, Musa and of course the prize one, Akinbiyi during a different time! The £30 million would've been better spent on two players who would've been a 'better fit' in hindsight. The hat-trick last season has since flattered him, albeit against a woeful on the night Southampton a year ago during THAT Friday night win whereby I think most of us there watching from the stands that night could have got in on the scoring act there too! 

Perez works hard and we can not fault his effort. His technical qualities are just not suited to a winger. We bought him as a support striker to Rondon. He was very effective in that role. 

For us, he is very limited as he is shoved out wide without any attributes. He has no speed, no real dribbling skills, crossing can't recall a good cross he has done. Under will be starting shortly, Perez, to get the best we need to play him in a 2 through the middle.. 

Decent player, but completely the wrong signing for us. 

• Like 1

On 21/10/2020 at 18:13, KingsX said:

The greatest strength of our club is finding the right players and making them better.  What I like least about Ayoze is nothing about him personally -- he puts in the work pressing, despite his lack of physicality.  It’s that we had no proper use for him, but bought him anyway, and we’ve made him worse.

We took a streaky, yet productive player, shoved him out wide, and now the good streaks are few and far between.  He was playing better a year ago than today.

Outside of the Pearson / Walsh era, or more specifically just Mahrez and Vardy, have we ever done this with a forward player though? 

We have a fantastic track record signing defensive and midfield players, we spot some absolute gems, often from relative obscurity. 

At the other end of the pitch we seem to lack imagination. To be the club that spends sensibly on guys like Ricardo, Kante, Castagne, Soyuncu, Ndidi, etc but then blows 30m buying a bang average forward from the same division to, fill our desperate, priority need got a winger. Its just odd. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Outside of the Pearson / Walsh era, or more specifically just Mahrez and Vardy, have we ever done this with a forward player though? 

We have a fantastic track record signing defensive and midfield players, we spot some absolute gems, often from relative obscurity. 

At the other end of the pitch we seem to lack imagination. To be the club that spends sensibly on guys like Ricardo, Kante, Castagne, Soyuncu, Ndidi, etc but then blows 30m buying a bang average forward from the same division to, fill our desperate, priority need got a winger. Its just odd. 

Vardy is the issue in all of that. People don’t get a run in the team/

a good issue is Vardy!

Edited by teblin

Just now, teblin said:

Vardy is the issue in all of that. People don’t get a run in the team/

By forward I mean as a generic term for attacking players across the whole "front three."

A clutch term for strikers, wide forwards, wingers, etc. 

The problem with our recruitment is that it would be fantastic (and it is fantastic to an extent, don't get me wrong) if we were Stoke or Burnley. But one of the reasons we come up looking so short in games recently is that we want to play attractive attacking football but we don't see to be good at finding and signing attractive attacking players.