Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Luke55

Ayoze Perez

4 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

If he was our best forward on Sunday, that wouldn’t be saying much anyway, but the sad thing is that he clearly wasn’t. 

Not sure what you’re saying @NaijaFox? Sad that you don’t agree with me (I’m sure we’re both ok with that!) or sad that you think there’s something wrong with my vision or that I’m not entitled to an opinion? 
He clearly was, in my view, but not I guess, sadly, in yours!

We can agree that’s not saying much.  

7 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Not sure what you’re saying @NaijaFox? Sad that you don’t agree with me (I’m sure we’re both ok with that!) or sad that you think there’s something wrong with my vision or that I’m not entitled to an opinion? 
He clearly was, in my view, but not I guess, sadly, in yours!

We can agree that’s not saying much.  

Exactly! Once we all agree that personal opinions widely differ, it is easy to understand why Perez is “regularly slaughtered” - and it has nothing to with any comparisons with Mo Salah, with whom (and this time with all due respects to personal opinions) Perez does not belong in the same conversation. 

Of course, when someone is “regularly” anything, it rationally bears closer examination. lol

Guest Hansifüx

I haven't seen Perez play many times and the value of my critique will be  limited,  but obviously he doesn't have the typical attributes of a PL player, he is not an athlete, not  in any way, not strong, not quick, not fast, not big, ...   He is a good football player with a great first touch and sometimes that is enough. Is he a top/middle class PL player ? not really! Has he ever been called to play for Spain, no. Why not?   Has he potential to get better? no! Is he likeable and hard working? yes, I think so. 

Is he valuable? yes, he still is and he contributes to the team, but not in way that he can change the way the game goes. He is a team player, and his performance rises and falls with the team's performance.  Is he effective as a sub? probably not, since he is not an athlete. Does he need to be replaced? yes.  

18 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

If Perez was a Leicester lad and Barnes was Spanish it’d be amazing to see the contrast in people’s opinion. 

Barnes gets me out of my seat.  Perez has completely the opposite affect.  I'm resigned to an attacking move breaking down when a pass comes his way even before he receives it.

Usually the opposite argument is made - ie if a player was called Joninho instead of Jones people would think he was good etc etc....blah blah blah.

Dianne Abbott would make a better right winger.  Perez was poor at Newcastle and it is no surprise that he is poor for us.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 3

Guest Hansifüx

Yes, Barnes makes too often wrong decisions, but he gets himself into good positions when he makes the wrong decision, such as not seeing the player who is in a better position to make the finish. I am confident his decision making will improve when he keeps playing, otherwise he is already a strong player.      

6 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

If Perez was a Leicester lad and Barnes was Spanish it’d be amazing to see the contrast in people’s opinion. 

Well Gray is from down the road, was part of the title winning squad and still gets absolute dogs abuse. So I wouldn’t look down that route too much. 

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

Well Gray is from down the road, was part of the title winning squad and still gets absolute dogs abuse. So I wouldn’t look down that route too much. 

Barnes grew up in Leicestershire and is a Leicester fan, Gray’s from Birmingham. Not comparable situations. The original post was weird though because Barnes is a better player and even if he wasn’t homegrown would be rightly rated higher than Perez

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

Just play him behind the striker and get on with it, stop messing around playing a player that doesn’t have the attributes of a good right winger on the wing! It’s basic stuff, surprise surprise he plays better centrally!

..but is still a crock of shit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

Just play him behind the striker and get on with it, stop messing around playing a player that doesn’t have the attributes of a good right winger on the wing! It’s basic stuff, surprise surprise he plays better centrally!

The trouble is he was bought specifically to play as a right sided forward.  That's the role that Rodgers bought him for, he said so publicly and it is also where he spent the majority of his Newcastle career.

He might be better behind the striker but there isn't a vacancy in that position as we have several players that are better than him in that position too.  

An awful signing, not only because of the wasted £30m but also because we have wasted a year (and counting) with a weakened right hand side.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, murphy said:

The trouble is he was bought specifically to play as a right sided forward.  That's the role that Rodgers bought him for, he said so publicly and it is also where he spent the majority of his Newcastle career.

He might be better behind the striker but there isn't a vacancy in that position as we have several players that are better than him in that position too.  

An awful signing, not only because of the wasted £30m but also because we have wasted a year (and counting) with a weakened right hand side.

Genuinely an awful signing in so many ways, but it annoys me more we signed him for the position which isn’t his best. The most annoying thing is we can expect no where near the level of cash we paid for him if we were to sell him 

• Like 1

On 21/10/2020 at 08:56, murphy said:

...we used Perez along side Vardy in Pre-season last year and had Perez ahead of Vardy and looking to slip him in with short passes at the edge of the box!!!

He has good feet in tight spaces and is very good in the area, and with his size and build it is not easy for any contact he receives in the area for him not to go down. If Vardy is out, let Perez get forward of Nacho with Nacho linking the play with Barnes and Ünder either cutting in our getting behind the defense.

You can not continually keep a format that is not working and believing that the results will change, providing you wished hard enough.

• Like 2

I really like him centrally, preferably behind 2 strikers. 

The link up with vardy and iheanacho was really great last year until Rodgers sabotaged us. 

He’s an odd one because he’s inconsistent but not because of confidence like nacho. He could score a hat trick and be shite again the next game. For me this game we need nacho to get his buzz back