Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Demarai Gray

Demarai Gray is going to have a lucrative career.

He’s young and English, has the athletic attributes for a premium position, and beats PL defenders on the dribble which is a premium skill.  There aren’t enough guys who fit that profile to go around.

Yes, he has to figure out when to dribble, when to shoot and when to pass if he's ever to become a star player.  But don’t confuse long odds for that, with a failing career.

His agents are no doubt measuring interest -- and screwing us out of getting something for him now -- but they are not pouring piss in his ear.  His next contract will nudge into eight figures, plus signing on fee.  That should ensure he gets enough minutes to try and figure it all out.

If you think that’s the wrong advice, it’s a good thing you are not an agent.  In fact if you think he is absolute shite, you should commend his advisers for playing a blinder to get him into this position.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KingsX said:

Demarai Gray is going to have a lucrative career.

He’s young and English, has the athletic attributes for a premium position, and beats PL defenders on the dribble which is a premium skill.  There aren’t enough guys who fit that profile to go around.

Yes, he has to figure out when to dribble, when to shoot and when to pass if he's ever to become a star player.  But don’t confuse long odds for that, with a failing career.

His agents are no doubt measuring interest -- and screwing us out of getting something for him now -- but they are not pouring piss in his ear.  His next contract will nudge into eight figures, plus signing on fee.  That should ensure he gets enough minutes to try and figure it all out.

If you think that’s the wrong advice, it’s a good thing you are not an agent.  In fact if you think he is absolute shite, you should commend his advisers for playing a blinder to get him into this position.

Does he beat people? I don’t see him beating full backs often with pace or skill. I have always backed him but I don’t think he’s regularly beating pl defenders. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, casablancas said:

Does he beat people? I don’t see him beating full backs often with pace or skill. I have always backed him but I don’t think he’s regularly beating pl defenders. 

Interesting... 1 v 1, I see him winning a lot of the time. I’d say the bigger problem is what to do with the ball in that split second of opportunity when he gets past the first man. Or trying to beat a couple of guys when the dribble just isn’t on in the first place.

59 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Interesting... 1 v 1, I see him winning a lot of the time. I’d say the bigger problem is what to do with the ball in that split second of opportunity when he gets past the first man. Or trying to beat a couple of guys when the dribble just isn’t on in the first place.

Fair enough. You think he will come good then? Perhaps not here but perhaps another top ten epl?

4 hours ago, casablancas said:

I agree. There's a lot of clichés about his final ball being poor but really it's his all round game that's lacking. He does have the necessary hysical attributes and sometimes the technical ones (although inconsistent here) but he is too often just not able to make an effective contribution in a team structure. Can't tell if it's his positioning, anticipation or spatial awareness or something else but something is lacking with Dimmy. He'd probably make a great 5 a side player but he's never going to make it as an elite 11 a side player.

1 hour ago, casablancas said:

Fair enough. You think he will come good then? Perhaps not here but perhaps another top ten epl?

I think the idea of a 24-year-old winger with his talent and some PL goals and assists, and at an all-in cost of, say, 15M over a 3 or 4 year contract, will be irresistible to one or more bottom-half Prem sides.  I'm not going to say he will come good, though I don't think he'll wash out of the League either.

Honestly the only performance prediction worth a bet is that he will score a winner against us at some point...   :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Hansifüx

I have only seen him play only a couple of times, maybe 2 or 3 times, coming in as a sub and I thought he did well. He is good no doubt, but Leicester is trying to win the pot, and yes that makes a difference, then the question is how can he contribute? Does he have the potential to score 5+ and assist 5+ ?  Can he start about every second game so that the other player in that position can be rested?  

17 minutes ago, Hansifüx said:

I have only seen him play only a couple of times, maybe 2 or 3 times, coming in as a sub and I thought he did well. He is good no doubt, but Leicester is trying to win the pot, and yes that makes a difference, then the question is how can he contribute? Does he have the potential to score 5+ and assist 5+ ?  Can he start about every second game so that the other player in that position can be rested?  

The problem is that for whatever reason he never really plays well when he starts. As you observed he can make a difference coming off the bench, but it seems he isn’t happy with that role (and I can see why) so he wants to move on. As you will see from the reaction on here, folk aren’t exactly devastated at the thought of him going.

• Like 3

Showed some real flashes of potential. Just never made the step up like Barnes is very frustrating for the coaches and himself I’m sure. If his agents were that good they will be trying to help his potential. And not just in it for the money . That way they would improve money abilities and return. Think mentality is one of the most underrated parts of player development. But we have had some great success Like vardy . He might be better of abroad as it isn’t so intense. Be interested to see how this goes .

I can’t agree with people saying Gray’s all round game is lacking From a technical perspective. In flashes he looks fantastic and has been effective off the bench on numerous occasions. His issues are more consistency based in my opinion. He needs to put it all together on a regular basis and also contribute more defensively in tight games. He can look no further than Albrighton as an example!

He definitely has the attributes and I hope he can sustain a more consistent level of performance when he moves. He’s never quite made a nailed down a starting spot with us and Harvey Barnes has showed that it was there the taking. Being an effective winger at the top level takes enormous talent and mental strength; it is the latter that Gray needs to improve on.

• Like 3

Odd situation really, with the club telling him to sign a new contract or find a new club and with him facing a year in the reserves you'd think everything would've been done on both ends to find him a new club.

A year sat in the ressies isn't going to help his career prospects. To see him off we'd probably supplament his wage for the remainder of his current contract so I doubt it's about sucking up everything possible from us, he won't be getting any appearance bonuses, goals/assists/wins ect.

2 years ago he was called up to the full England squad. Now no club has bust a gut to sign him and he'll likely sit a year out not even on the bench.

11 hours ago, rachhere said:

The problem is that for whatever reason he never really plays well when he starts. As you observed he can make a difference coming off the bench, but it seems he isn’t happy with that role (and I can see why) so he wants to move on. As you will see from the reaction on here, folk aren’t exactly devastated at the thought of him going.

I dont think this is a coincidence. His best attribute is his acceleration, late in the game when players are tired he really is deadly. At the start when everyone’s fresh it’s less effective. I genuinely think it’s as simple as that. 

He doesnt have the other tools or the stamina that barnes has

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 2

His biggest weakness to me is decision making.  He seems to lack instinct and possibly vision.  Perhaps he does not have the pictures in his head.

He was decisive when he first joined.  If he got the ball, he was determined to shoot as he appeared not to see the options around him.

A couple of years ago, I read an article that some people do not picture faces of people when they are not with them.  There must be a scale of how players see possibilities.  Players like Tielemans have a picture when they receive the ball.  

2 hours ago, majaco said:

His biggest weakness to me is decision making.  He seems to lack instinct and possibly vision.  Perhaps he does not have the pictures in his head.

He was decisive when he first joined.  If he got the ball, he was determined to shoot as he appeared not to see the options around him.

A couple of years ago, I read an article that some people do not picture faces of people when they are not with them.  There must be a scale of how players see possibilities.  Players like Tielemans have a picture when they receive the ball.  

..that sounds like an interesting article, which must be a factor on the way players see situations in a game!!!

In the case of Gray, there are two styles of play which are attributed to him and each one must be dictated by his perception of possible options when in, or prior to gaining possession of the ball.

When playing from the start he would be instructed of what is required, in respect of, supporting the attack and his defensive responsibilities, closing people down, finding space so he can be found and tracking back to give cover to the defence.

The other scenario is coming on as a substitute in order to make an impact on the game.

The instruction would be stay wide, they will find you, and at every opportunity I want you to run at your fullback, get yourself in the box and pick out a man.

There is a stark difference in the second role that gives him a picture already painted in his mind and not confused with decision to be made incase of an eventuality and a process to implement to deal with that problem.

In the game against Birmingham (I managed to get to that one) he held a position on the left and time and time again he would raise his hand to call for the ball, attempt to make a run to get behind the defense but the pass was never played. This happened throughout the first half and the ball was never played, he was always closely marked, it required an exceptionally good pass to get him in and eventually he stop making the runs and any contribution.

A simplification of his game would lead to a more effective outcome and any shortcomings are then minimised as the first scenario of instructions presents far more variables for him to overcome.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..that sounds like an interesting article, which must be a factor on the way players see situations in a game!!!

In the case of Gray, there are two styles of play which are attributed to him and each one must be dictated by his perception of possible options when in, or prior to gaining possession of the ball.

When playing from the start he would be instructed of what is required, in respect of, supporting the attack and his defensive responsibilities, closing people down, finding space so he can be found and tracking back to give cover to the defence.

The other scenario is coming on as a substitute in order to make an impact on the game.

The instruction would be stay wide, they will find you, and at every opportunity I want you to run at your fullback, get yourself in the box and pick out a man.

There is a stark difference in the second role that gives him a picture already painted in his mind and not confused with decision to be made incase of an eventuality and a process to implement to deal with that problem.

In the game against Birmingham (I managed to get to that one) he held a position on the left and time and time again he would raise his hand to call for the ball, attempt to make a run to get behind the defense but the pass was never played. This happened throughout the first half and the ball was never played, he was always closely marked, it required an exceptionally good pass to get him in and eventually he stop making the runs and any contribution.

A simplification of his game would lead to a more effective outcome and any shortcomings are then minimised as the first scenario of instructions presents far more variables for him to overcome.

Run Dimmi, run! :ph34r:

• Haha 1

Surely Gray has to be used as a makeweight in a deal for a player from the Championship before that window closes, Brentford, Norwich & Bournemouth all have players we have shown an interest in... 

Edited by NewquayFox

48 minutes ago, NewquayFox said:

Surely Gray has to be used as a makeweight in a deal for a player from the Champions before that window closes, Brentford, Norwich & Bournemouth all have players we have shown an interest in... 

Unfortunately we can't force him to move. It looks like he wants to run down his contract and leave on a free at the end of this season. He will only agree to a move if he sees it as a deal that suits him.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewquayFox said:

Surely Gray has to be used as a makeweight in a deal for a player from the Championship before that window closes, Brentford, Norwich & Bournemouth all have players we have shown an interest in... 

Or Swansea! Unfortunately, I can't see Gray wanting to go to any of those places! 

• Like 1