Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Weston McKennie

Huge Premier League interest in McKennie

Liverpool are among six Premier League teams monitoring Weston McKennie's future with the player set on leaving Schalke, sources have told ESPN.

Jurgen Klopp's champions have been long-standing admirers of the United States international, sources have told ESPN, while Tottenham, Everton, Leicester City and Wolves are keen. Newcastle United are also understood to be monitoring McKennie, but any move there will likely be linked with the potential takeover of the club.

Sources say Tottenham are considering either firming up their interest in McKennie or focusing their attention on trying to sign Southampton's Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg.

Schalke want in the region of €25-30 million for the box-to-box midfielder, but clubs in the Premier League are optimistic of getting him for closer to €20m.

McKennie is also on the radar of big-spending Hertha Berlin and if he ends up moving to another Bundesliga side it will likely be to Bruno Labbadia's team, sources have told ESPN, but it is understood he favours a switch to the Premier League. -- Tom Hamilton

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/4137940/ozil-vs-arsenal-battle-lines-drawn-liverpool-interested-in-usmnt-star-mckennie#usmnt

• Like 1

I love Weston, but I don't see how he'd fit in at Leicester. He has a similar skillset to Hamza as a box to box midfielder. He has a huge work rate, he's great in a tackle, and he's good in the air and on set pieces. His passing / possession skill isn't the best. In a 4-3-3 / 4-1-4-1 he's not creative enough to replace a Maddison / Tielemans. I think he'd be a better fit for Everton / Wolves.

If we're going after an american, I think Antonee Robinson / Sergino Dest make more sense if we need to replace Ben Chilwell. Gio Reyna would be a great winger to develop, but BvB would be very hesitant to sell him as they rate him higher than Christian Pulisic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Detroit Blues said:

I love Weston, but I don't see how he'd fit in at Leicester. He has a similar skillset to Hamza as a box to box midfielder. He has a huge work rate, he's great in a tackle, and he's good in the air and on set pieces. His passing / possession skill isn't the best. In a 4-3-3 / 4-1-4-1 he's not creative enough to replace a Maddison / Tielemans. I think he'd be a better fit for Everton / Wolves.

If we're going after an american, I think Antonee Robinson / Sergino Dest make more sense if we need to replace Ben Chilwell. Gio Reyna would be a great winger to develop, but BvB would be very hesitant to sell him as they rate him higher than Christian Pulisic.

Yeah, Weston is a tough, brave player but, like you say, he's a lot like Hamza. Probably does offer a bit more on set pieces.

I would love to see "REYNA" on the back of a Leicester shirt. The kid might turn out to be some player, and that last name is legendary Stateside.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

Watched him grow up with the USMNT.  I have less problem seeing the fit - he's considerably better on the ball than Hamza, and not quite so much the loose cannon IMHO.  Doesn't address our glaring need (attackers, especially wide) but a really solid piece.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Finnegan said:

The press are determined we're going to sell Ndidi aren't they. 

One day we will, no getting around that.

Just hope we get another season or two out of him.

By the time he's 25ish one of the absolute elite clubs (Bayern, Juve, Madrid, Barca etc) are going to see him as the perfect buy to sit in their midfield for 5 years.

He’s had his injury problems this season, but this player is one of the few positives at Schalke this season. Puts in 100% every week, athletic, good on the ball and can play a pass. Him next to N’Didi would be unreal, but I’d imagine he’d be too expensive and end up at a bigger club... 

• Like 1

On 17/07/2020 at 20:53, Finnegan said:

The press are determined we're going to sell Ndidi aren't they. 

I'm not sure if it would make too much difference, but does anyone know when he finishes his DMU degree? 

He might not even consider leaving until that has is over anyway if he is settled.

Edited by Stuntman_Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Leicester City are set to fight Premier League rivals Wolves in the hunt for Schalke midfielder Weston McKennie, Birmingham Live can reveal.

The 21-year-old United States international moved to European football from MLS franchise FC Dallas in 2016, spending less than a year in the club's academy before being promoted to the first-team squad.

He made his debut on the final day of the 2016-17 season at the age of just 18, which continued his meteoric rise, before netting on his debut for the US national side in November of the same year in a friendly against Portugal.

Since then, he has made 75 Bundesliga appearances - 28 of which came in the recently concluded season, the highest tally of his career so far.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/exclusive-leicester-city-fighting-wolves-4380296.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by StevieB
Added stuff
  • Like 1

I can definitely see this kid playing in the Premier League - he's got the engine and physicality to handle it. He mostly plays in midfield, but has started at CB a few times too. For me he's too similar to Hamza, IE a box-to-box midfielder, but at that age he could be converted to play CB full time. He'd fit in with the profile of player we go for, but think there would be other priorities first and hence expect to see another club sign him instead.

• Like 2