Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Maddison has surgery; new contract latest

xclusive: James Maddison undergoes hip surgery as Leicester hope operation cures problem permanently

Brendan Rodgers expects Maddison to return for pre-season training ahead of the 2020/21 campaign

John Percy 22 July 2020 • 12:04pm

James Maddison has undergone surgery on the hip injury that has ruled him out of Leicester City's end-of-season efforts to reach the Champions League.

The England midfielder, 23, had a minor procedure in London this week to repair a tendon problem aggravated against Everton at the start of the month when he was brought on as a substitute with his team chasing the game.

He has missed five games of the run-in, with dropped points in three of those matches putting their top-four place under serious doubt heading into their final fixture against Manchester United on Sunday. 

Premier League 2019/20 latest standings (top six)

Maddison will now be assessed to determine how long he will be out but Brendan Rodgers expects him to return for pre-season training ahead of the 2020/21 campaign, with hope that surgery will have cured the problem permanently.

“In the off-season he will do his work - by the time we get back training in August then he should be back,” said Rodgers. 

While Maddison’s form during two seasons at the King Power Stadium has seen him attract interest from other clubs, it is understood there is an agreement in place for a new long-term deal.

He looks set to remain at the club regardless of the outcome of their final match of the season, where they need a positive result to remain in the top four. After heading into football’s break for the coronavirus pandemic with back-to-back wins, they failed to record a victory in the first four games of Project Restart. 

Maddison’s absence has not helped. He contributed nine goals in the first half of the current season but his hip injury limited him to just two starts during the resumption, with Rodgers bringing him off the bench against Everton at half-time when his team were two goals down.  

His campaign had put him in contention for a place in Gareth Southgate’s squad for the European Championships before it was pushed back to 2021. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Keiriel said:

From what I've been hearing, there were surgical complications; it wasn't just his hip they were working on. Top attended personally to oversee the secondary procedure and was visibly distraught as the world renowned surgical team failed to separate James Maddison's ugly ass backpack from his body. Brendan has since been informed that the cost is coming out of next season's transfer budget.

But did they succeed? Is he free?? :frantics:

12 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...absolute nonsense bringing him on when we were 2 nil down!!!

Crazy decision by Rodgers' as the game had gone and he was not fit enough to be on the bench. Brought him back too soon only to lose him for the rest of the season...absolutely bonkers.

Rodgers: "We didn't think it was a risk at all. We thought he had recovered. He'd gone through his work separate from the group to ensure he was at a level where he could come back in. He felt fine, he felt great. We didn't rush him back. He was fit and was available. We put him on the bench (against Everton) thinking he could affect the game at some point, but when he came on at half-time, as the game wore on, he started to get the soreness in his hip on rotation. You never really go through that motion as extensively as you would in a game. It’s just one of those unfortunate things. He was desperate to play, we wanted him back. We’ll always bring them back when we feel they’re fit and ready."

How you can describe it as a nonsense decision to bring him on, when we pulled one back early doors in the second half and Maddison was the best player on the pitch even despite the injury, creating numerous opportunities for a valuable equaliser, is quite staggering.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Detroit Blues said:

I was told him and Chilwell were just sitting out because their heads were turned by bigger clubs lol

Quite possible, why go for surgery in London, where there are coincidently a number of top clubs, when you can get it done at his local, Walsgrave.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

I wonder how long this injury has been irritating him for, "aggravated" would suggest he'd been managing it for a while. 

I think he has. He had surgery before he joined on something. I’m not sure what it was for but potentially a similar issue. I think he’s had it for a while, and potentially out it off until what will be the end of the normal season, but due to the extension he obviously had probably had to drop out early. He’s not looked 100% for a while.

17 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I think he has. He had surgery before he joined on something. I’m not sure what it was for but potentially a similar issue. I think he’s had it for a while, and potentially out it off until what will be the end of the normal season, but due to the extension he obviously had probably had to drop out early. He’s not looked 100% for a while.

He'd injured his ACL prior to joining us if that's what you're potentially referring to. 

But i think you're right, think we've tried to manage it for a while and obviously the quick flow of games hasn't allowed the recovery time needed.

13 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Was told this week, it's been the case with numerous players this season. 

Any examples of who they are? Assuming both Chilwell and Maddison with the heel and hip from over usage. Maybe Vardy explaining that fairly dry spell since xmas?

That's not good, no wonder so many are off now injured! Managing with pain killers especially  injections is not a great situation to be in. Aggravating injuries to the point of needing operations is not really acceptable man management...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hales said:

That's not good, no wonder so many are off now injured! Managing with pain killers especially  injections is not a great situation to be in. Aggravating injuries to the point of needing operations is not really acceptable man management...

We know for a fact that Ndidi, Maddison, Chilwell and Vardy have done this (probably not only this season).

I suspect Pereira has done as well.

There will be others. It could just be poor form, but Evans hasn't looked to be moving as freely since the restart.

It’s the standard thing we do. Give our biggest assets a new contract every year so the most amount of time they’ll have left on the contract when it comes to a sale is 4 years. It is a bit of a sellers club model to be honest because you can only increase a players wages so much year on year until the player wants more than you’re willing to give and are forced into a sale. 

• Sad 1

On 22/07/2020 at 15:50, Pliskin said:

Someone mentioned 6 players were having injections in January with some certainty.

Maybe one was Madders, but you would have thought lockdown would have sorted most niggles out. It was noticeable how Chilwell came back looking really fit and happier, for example.

• Like 1