Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

1 minute ago, turlo said:

i don't understand why they drew one line on the defenders hand and the other above the attackers elbow, or are the literally drawing the lines based on a long sleeve vs short sleeve?!

If that is the case I could see football strips being sleeveless like the Cameroon one a few years back. 

8 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Carragher seemed to be suggesting that the intent to touch the ball was enough to rule out offside.

I've never seen it interpreted like that and put the suggestion down to Carragher being

a) Scouse

and

b) a git.

'Git' is a much underused word, good work Vaca.

Nowt wrong with VAR ..  he was offside and VAR quite rightly said so.  There are far more important things that need sorting out in football than VAR ...  like mixing in bloody reports on girls football with proper match reports ..   absolute fookin disgrace !!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

Nowt wrong with VAR ..  he was offside and VAR quite rightly said so.  There are far more important things that need sorting out in football than VAR ...  like mixing in bloody reports on girls football with proper match reports ..   absolute fookin disgrace !!!

Massively frustrating. 

What I don’t understand is how other sports can use technology so effectively yet football is currently ****ing it right up

Football needs an equivalent of Umpires Call where of it isn’t ‘clear and obvious’ eg an offside decision which can’t be determined within 30 seconds it stays with the on-field decision.

In Rugby you can hear the conversations between the on field ref and video ref and between them they come to a human decision not some 0.000001mm computer says no bollocks 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Staffs Fox said:

What I don’t understand is how other sports can use technology so effectively yet football is currently ****ing it right up

Football needs an equivalent of Umpires Call where of it isn’t ‘clear and obvious’ eg an offside decision which can’t be determined within 30 seconds it stays with the on-field decision.

In Rugby you can hear the conversations between the on field ref and video ref and between them they come to a human decision not some 0.000001mm computer says no bollocks 

Can you think of examples in other sports where mm decisions are largely made by a human? 

3 minutes ago, murphy said:

From the BBC website:

Excluding penalties, Liverpool haven't scored with any of their last 127 shots in Premier League home matches

You jinxed it......................and three minutes later :(

• Haha 1

Just now, turtmcfly said:

Can you think of examples in other sports where mm decisions are largely made by a human? 

Yes, in rugby for example if someone scores a try but there’s some doubt whether a part of their body was out of play when they touch the ball down, they don’t get the bloody lines out, they look at it, talk it over between them and come to a decision

1 minute ago, murphy said:

I did wonder if I was tempting fate.... :(

Let's hope there are no more goals in this game.

I don't mind the chasing pack picking up solitary points as it just isn't enough to put much of a dent into us. A draw isn't much better than a defeat as far as we're concerned. Happy to see this at 1-1 with half hour to go.

C'mon Villa, hold on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kristianity77 said:

Imagine if we went with a positive attitude last week and won....we could have been 12 behind with 2 in hand......things could of gotten interesting.

Yes, our capitulation attitude against Man C was hard to take. Hopefully we won't see that again this season . :( :scarf:

Edited by deep blue

1 minute ago, Staffs Fox said:

Yes, in rugby for example if someone scores a try but there’s some doubt whether a part of their body was out of play when they touch the ball down, they don’t get the bloody lines out, they look at it, talk it over between them and come to a decision

I'd argue that makes it a cm decision. 

It's the pretence that offside decisions involving mm are even possible if humans are responsible that's the problem for me. Using some graphics to help a human make a decision, when the human also controls how the graphics are generated, just creates ersatz versions of 100% tech calls . It gives the vague impression of objective technology being used when that's not the case. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

I'd argue that makes it a cm decision. 

It's the pretence that offside decisions involving mm are even possible if humans are responsible that's the problem for me. Using some graphics to help a human make a decision, when the human also controls how the graphics are generated, just creates ersatz versions of 100% tech calls . It gives the vague impression of objective technology being used when that's not the case. 

The premise is exactly the same, in theory like offside, if your leg is touching the side line by 0.00001mm then you are out of play however the Rugby officials do not want the game to be ruled that way therefore they do it by eye. My argument is not that humans can see mm decisions, it’s that, that is exactly how the offside rule should be done; by humans looking back to make the decision not by drawing lines