Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I really wish these cvnts would stop pushing this agenda. Don't applaud Rio for this, BT Sport and the Big Six would absolutely love to drive off VAR, they're absolutely desperate for it to fail so we can go back to completely unchecked decisions and linesmen taking random guesses at offside that always benefit Salah, Kane, Mane and Co. 

It's not VAR that's the problem, it's the laws. West Ham haven't had a man sent off because of VAR, what has VAR got to do with that red card other than they watched the incident a few times? 

The problem is the laws. The laws that say that's an unsafe piece of play. VAR is just a few cameras to show you it from five thousand angles. The problem isn't that, the problem is the laws that say that a player catching someone else with his studs up is dangerous and a red regardless of context or mitigation. The problem is the ref who watched it from five thousand angles and was still stupid enough to decide it was worthy of a card. 

None of that is the fault of technology in sport which we absolutely should have. 

Naaah...  I'd prefer to go back to ye olden days.

Having experienced both now, I preferred it the way it was before. 

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't know how anyone can have watched football the past few seasons and genuinely still be for it. Aside from someone on talksport being for it purely to get calls in and be contrarian.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I really wish these cvnts would stop pushing this agenda. Don't applaud Rio for this, BT Sport and the Big Six would absolutely love to drive off VAR, they're absolutely desperate for it to fail so we can go back to completely unchecked decisions and linesmen taking random guesses at offside that always benefit Salah, Kane, Mane and Co. 

It's not VAR that's the problem, it's the laws. West Ham haven't had a man sent off because of VAR, what has VAR got to do with that red card other than they watched the incident a few times? 

The problem is the laws. The laws that say that's an unsafe piece of play. VAR is just a few cameras to show you it from five thousand angles. The problem isn't that, the problem is the laws that say that a player catching someone else with his studs up is dangerous and a red regardless of context or mitigation. The problem is the ref who watched it from five thousand angles and was still stupid enough to decide it was worthy of a card. 

None of that is the fault of technology in sport which we absolutely should have. 

The laws say nothing about reviewing the incident in slow motion 10 times, to that end technology absolutely is influencing the decision.

For me I want rid of VAR simply because of the effect it has on the game - holding your breath before celebrating, milimetre calls that the technology isn’t precise enough to get right, massive delays that suck the energy out of the game. I personally didn’t have a problem with referees getting things wrong pre-VAR. They’re human and as much as we moaned we moved on pretty easily. VAR on the other hand gets talked about for the wrong reasons week in week out. Bin it, and bring it back when people know how to use it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The problem is the ref who watched it from five thousand angles and was still stupid enough to decide it was worthy of a card. 

:appl:

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

BINGO! 

The referees are the issue. Not var. And those who make some of these ridiculous rules 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Disagree.

I’ve never wanted VAR from the start, but I’ve reached the point now where I don’t even care whether it’s getting decisions right or not. VAR’s very existence meant that I had to sit there and wait for a kick-off on Thursday because I didn’t know whether Vardy’s goal would be offside by a toenail. It’s excruciatingly horrible and I hate it.

If video assistance can’t provide a decision in real time, it’s not fit for purpose. In fact, I’m convinced that VAR will never be good enough to do that. And that’s why it has to die.

1 minute ago, Fox in the North said:

I think defenders should be shot for letting someone come all the way back to beat them to the ball. I don’t see how Moder gained any advantage whatsoever

He was offside - simples but the lino didn’t give to so let’s just keep the goal .....only use var to re instate goals that have been incorrectly disallowed 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Disagree.

I’ve never wanted VAR from the start, but I’ve reached the point now where I don’t even care whether it’s getting decisions right or not. VAR’s very existence meant that I had to sit there and wait for a kick-off on Thursday because I didn’t know whether Vardy’s goal would be offside by a toenail. It’s excruciatingly horrible and I hate it.

If video assistance can’t provide a decision in real time, it’s not fit for purpose. In fact, I’m convinced that VAR will never be good enough to do that. And that’s why it has to die.

I never celebrated the Vardy goal either as i thought he was offside and by the time it was confirmed the moment as over.

I believe in VAR because it should get more correct decisions but for the spectacle of the sport it's a disaster as you can't fully celebrate most goals because you know there is a very reasonable chance it gets struck off. Does anyone know the percentage of goals that get cancelled by VAR?

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

We don't know the discussion between the ref and var ref. But if Var ref says I think you should look at it then I think it usually means he thinks it's a red. Then the on field ref is going to look again with that already in mind, only strong refs will then stick with their original decision.

And that is one place where VAR falls down -the discussion should be available to be broadcast.

Putting the glove on the other hand for a moment, Nacho's last-minute winner against Everton - chalked off by the lino but given thanks to VAR - was euphoric.

The system needs changing and streamlining, but there's no doubting it's resulted in the letter of the law being followed more frequently. And as many have said, it's those laws that need changing. The "Wenger" offside law is a good step towards changing that for the better and making sure those lines drawn arbitrarily at Stockley Park are a little less laughable.

Edited by OntarioFox

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

It'd be a freak if they did. They're a couple of players and good luck from being a top half team. It's not being a hipster to know that, it's just watching them play and seeing how well Potter has got them playing.

The thing is people keep saying they just need a bit of luck, it’s not bad luck when it keeps happening over and over again.

They keep the ball well, but, they make lapses of concentration at the back and are woeful in front of goal and this is why they are struggling.

If they do go down, it won’t be a freak it will be because over 38 games they were one of the three worst teams in the league.

Regardless of how well you knock the ball around, if you can’t score repeatedly it’s because you’re a poor team going forward and you deserve to go down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

The thing is people keep saying they just need a bit of luck, it’s not bad luck when it keeps happening over and over again.

They keep the ball well, but, they make lapses of concentration at the back and are woeful in front of goal and this is why they are struggling.

If they do go down, it won’t be a freak it will be because over 38 games they were one of the three worst teams in the league.

Regardless of how well you knock the ball around, if you can’t score repeatedly it’s because you’re a poor team going forward and you deserve to go down.

So couple of players and a bit of luck and thehll probably be top half.

12 points.

I stand by what I said.

If you keep doing the right things, in the long term you will do well. Potter is a superb gaffer and Brighton are a bright spark in a really dull and boring league. Massive fan of them

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

So couple of players and a bit of luck and thehll probably be top half.

12 points.

I stand by what I said.

If you keep doing the right things, in the long term you will do well. Potter is a superb gaffer and Brighton are a bright spark in a really dull and boring league. Massive fan of them

It’s the luck part I have an issue with, you make your own luck. The odd game you can be unlucky, when it happens repeatedly like with Brighton it has nothing to do with luck and is down to really poor finishing that they haven’t addressed.

Its poor defending, repeatedly in close games - it’s not luck, they are not good enough. 

• Like 1