Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Arsenal are much bigger, and much more prestigious than Spurs so going to Arsenal to rebuild that club would make more sense. Spurs aren't an elite club. They can't even buy one of our better players.

Neither can arsenal tbh

43 minutes ago, Merchant_Banker said:

Rodgers is 48, Roy Hodgson is 73, why is this 'one last chance' ?

Because if he fails at another big club I don't see how he gets another chance a 3rd time from the big 6, not without winning some proper trophies which he seems primed to do here. I think he stays with us for at least another season or two.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Because if he fails at another big club I don't see how he gets another chance a 3rd time from the big 6, not without winning some proper trophies which he seems primed to do here. I think he stays with us for at least another season or two.

Tottenham have exactly the same ceiling as we do. At the minute, it’s second! Probably be 3rd. Gets to manage in a nice new stadium, but that’s it! It isn’t a step up

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Tottenham have exactly the same ceiling as we do. At the minute, it’s second! Probably be 3rd. Gets to manage in a nice new stadium, but that’s it! It isn’t a step up

Won't get paid any more either I'd have thought and will have real financial problems to negotiate like he does here, if not worse. That said, he has a footballing vision that might all be part of his plan so I'd not completely rule it out but would question why the rush for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Tottenham Hotspur – 17 major trophies – League x2, FA Cup x8, League Cup x4, European Cup Winners’ Cup x1, UEFA Cup x2

I know there is a lot of dislike for Spurs here but you can't take away their history as a club, nor can you ignore their stadium which is one of the very best around, nor can you ignore the fact that they are a very sizeable club. And so they are a very attractive proposition to any ambitious manager.

The key for me is where does "project Leicester" go next for Rogers?

If we were to win the FACup and finish top4 or just finish top 4 how much further as we currently stand would he think he can take us?

I think the answer to much of what happens next lies with what commitment the club can give to him to allow us to strive towards the next level. Whilst the trainig facilities are in place and top notch, the ground is miles away from giving us true competitive equality. The same applies to our off field and non TV income. We're simply miles behind there.

So on top of the question as to are the latter points being addressed and how is that progressing there comes the throny issue of squad investment. Whilst we are doing well and selling one top quality player a year to fund improvement I'm not certian that the model can be contiuously used to sustain a continued prescence in the top 4 or 5 clubs with European participation for the long term.

I think Brendan will want some assurances at the end of the summer that we will be able to invest in the squad so we can at least aspire to mmatch his own short term ambitions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Won't get paid any more either I'd have thought and will have real financial problems to negotiate like he does here, if not worse. That said, he has a footballing vision that might all be part of his plan so I'd not completely rule it out but would question why the rush for him.

It’s not like he’ll have financial freedom at Tottenham - unless they sell Kane. Would be interesting to see how Spurs fans who think Rodgers should leave Leicester for Spurs compared to their views when Poch was linked to Man U. 

Edited by OhYesNdidi

23 minutes ago, reynard said:

I know there is a lot of dislike for Spurs here but you can't take away their history as a club, nor can you ignore their stadium which is one of the very best around, nor can you ignore the fact that they are a very sizeable club. And so they are a very attractive proposition to any ambitious manager.

If we were to win the FACup and finish top4 or just finish top 4 how much further as we currently stand would he think he can take us?

I think the answer to much of what happens next lies with what commitment the club can give to him to allow us to strive towards the next level. Whilst the trainig facilities are in place and top notch, the ground is miles away from giving us true competitive equality. The same applies to our off field and non TV income. We're simply miles behind there.

So on top of the question as to are the latter points being addressed and how is that progressing there comes the throny issue of squad investment. Whilst we are doing well and selling one top quality player a year to fund improvement I'm not certian that the model can be contiuously used to sustain a continued prescence in the top 4 or 5 clubs with European participation for the long term.

I think Brendan will want some assurances at the end of the summer that we will be able to invest in the squad so we can at least aspire to mmatch his own short term ambitions.

One campaign in the champions league and a trophy and I'll reckon he'll move - not till late / end of next season I reckon, depending on how the season pans out. He'll also bide his time and go to a giant club - hes had chances to go to spurs and arsenal before and not taken it. He'll go to a big club and ensure he's got all his team with him - he'll be patient with that I reckon.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, reynard said:

That’s the next step, ground capacity increase, adding to a squad that’s probably 3 or 4 players light, more investment will come as we are now looking a very established top 8 club.

Since the new owners have come in we have come a long way, and it will  only get better.

I think Rodgers will go at the end of next season. Spurs are an attractive proposition but it's not a big enough step for him; I'd imagine he'd be after the Man Utd job once OGS gets the boot.

Although one thing he'll never get anywhere else is the same amount of control he has at LCFC currently - which is probably why Spurs isn't a big enough jump.

I assume we've got a shortlist drawn up of potential replacements already as there's a possibility he might leave this summer. Ultimately, we've known since day one Rodgers will bolt as soon as one of the real big clubs (MU/MC) come knocking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Frost said:

I think Rodgers will go at the end of next season. Spurs are an attractive proposition but it's not a big enough step for him; I'd imagine he'd be after the Man Utd job once OGS gets the boot.

Although one thing he'll never get anywhere else is the same amount of control he has at LCFC currently - which is probably why Spurs isn't a big enough jump.

I assume we've got a shortlist drawn up of potential replacements already as there's a possibility he might leave this summer. Ultimately, we've known since day one Rodgers will bolt as soon as one of the real big clubs (MU/MC) come knocking.

Have 'we'? OK.

We'll be looking around constantly, you can't afford to assume the manager will be around for ever.

Weren't we looking at a manager in Spain a few months ago which baffled media outlets who at the same time were desperate to push Rodgers to another club?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

We'll be looking around constantly, you can't afford to assume the manager will be around for ever.

Weren't we looking at a manager in Spain a few months ago which baffled media outlets who at the same time were desperate to push Rodgers to another club?

Wasn't it Sporting Lisbon's manager? But your point is spot on. One of the reasons we are so good with recruitment and particularly were under Pearson, or at least that's where it started, is because the recruitment team were given a really range of briefs all based around what League we were in, how much money we might have etc. You'd like to think we're applying the same philosophy to managers.

Something has changed for me in the last few months in terms of my gut feeling and I can actually see Rodgers staying for a good few years yet. As pointed out, seems like he has the overall control of the direction which he won't get at any other big club.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Corky said:

Agree. Also, we are a very attractive club for managers just under that "elite level", like Rodgers.

Edited by Koke

2 minutes ago, Livid said:

Watching Homes under the Hammer (Which I loathe!) waiting for the dead rubber of Wolves v Burnley. 

What sort of muppet would watch that?  :blush:

Yeh I’m not convinced Rodgers will be in such a hurry to move on. Had a big love at Liverpool and got burnt and took him a while to build back up his reputation in the premier league. And even then there are still question marks whilst he hasn’t won a trophy with us and failings in the European knock out stages with both Celtic and us. Which I think will put off some of the biggest clubs from targeting him, Man U already have a manager who can’t win anything.

Don’t get me wrong I think he’s a great manager and perfect fit for us. And more than that I think he likes the project/ challenge here of trying to establish ourselves in the European places in the league. Tottenham and Arsenal arguably have worse squads than we do but with higher expectations so don’t view them as particularly enticing prospects. Has already managed at Liverpool, and I thought there was something about comments he made at Liverpool which wouldn’t make him an attractive proposition for Utd? And then I think Man City are more likely to go for bigger names than Rodgers when pep leaves which leaves Chelsea as the next step. But I think and hope that he might stay here for a few more years yet before he moves. 

Is already one of the best paid managers, with probably the best squad relative to expectations in the league so can be seen to overachieve, with supporting owners and world class training facilities. Why would he want to go anywhere else? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nabb7 said:

The laws say nothing about reviewing the incident in slow motion 10 times, to that end technology absolutely is influencing the decision.

For me I want rid of VAR simply because of the effect it has on the game - holding your breath before celebrating, milimetre calls that the technology isn’t precise enough to get right, massive delays that suck the energy out of the game. I personally didn’t have a problem with referees getting things wrong pre-VAR. They’re human and as much as we moaned we moved on pretty easily. VAR on the other hand gets talked about for the wrong reasons week in week out. Bin it, and bring it back when people know how to use it.

I still want VAR..But I would suspend it for a season..

.go through:-

# Descision Making routines

# 1-2  VAR-trainer Ex-footballers in the Studio..Maybe also ex-managers

# Really look at the offside  drawn-lines and what constitutes offside rules....

go & find a Way to cut out the foot/arm/toe Micro-mllimeter descisions

Then bring it back...

Edited by fuchsntf

1 minute ago, dmayne7 said:

Not sure whether you're talking about the football or homes under the hammer :D.

Homes under hammer (had it on, so owning up to self shame) but footy on BBC should never be avoided:thumbup: 

3 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

Yeh I’m not convinced Rodgers will be in such a hurry to move on. Had a big love at Liverpool and got burnt and took him a while to build back up his reputation in the premier league. And even then there are still question marks whilst he hasn’t won a trophy with us and failings in the European knock out stages with both Celtic and us. Which I think will put off some of the biggest clubs from targeting him, Man U already have a manager who can’t win anything.

Don’t get me wrong I think he’s a great manager and perfect fit for us. And more than that I think he likes the project/ challenge here of trying to establish ourselves in the European places in the league. Tottenham and Arsenal arguably have worse squads than we do but with higher expectations so don’t view them as particularly enticing prospects. Has already managed at Liverpool, and I thought there was something about comments he made at Liverpool which wouldn’t make him an attractive proposition for Utd? And then I think Man City are more likely to go for bigger names than Rodgers when pep leaves which leaves Chelsea as the next step. But I think and hope that he might stay here for a few more years yet before he moves. 

Is already one of the best paid managers, with probably the best squad relative to expectations in the league so can be seen to overachieve, with supporting owners and world class training facilities. Why would he want to go anywhere else? 

No argument needed. Spurs have brilliant attacking options and depth but their defence needs a complete overhaul and midfield needs balancing so that's a massive rebuild.

As for Arsenal, they genuinely have a mid table squad now. Who actually gets in our team? Tierney maybe and possibly Saka on the right but that's it. So many bang average players that I think they're probably about where they should be.

11 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

# 1-2  VAR-trainer Ex-footballers in the Studio..Maybe also ex-managers

They're just as bad and biased. Look how they condone or at least ignore blatant diving and general cheating.