Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

8 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

In 2017-18 Brighton finished 15th

18/19 - 17th

19/20 (under Potter) - 15th

They are currently 16th 

In that period they're also quite high in the net spend table. So, as an established PL club you might expect them to be doing better. 

I keep seeing people fawning over Graham Potter and understand it in a way, as his team is pretty to watch. He's also bright and articulate. 

But nearly two full seasons in and Brighton haven't improved much in their league table position. If Potter is all he's cracked up to be he needs to start winning more games. 

Absolutely this.

I dont get the absolute football hipster wan kery that surrounds them just because they can't finish chances. Not sure if thats down to the manager selecting players who provide more in terms of build up play instead of their finishing or just having strikers that arent good enough. Also, I dont think its as easy as saying if Brighton had 'X' they'd finishing higher as it would need to be a realistic purchase. For example a player like Callum Wilson is highly unlikely to swap Newcastle or Brighton unless Newcastle got relegated.

Edited by Nalis

1 hour ago, trabuch said:

They aren't. The decision when to freeze the frame is subjective. 

And this is the main problem with it imo.  Until the technology to determine the precise moment the ball is kicked is available, I would advocate that the VAR pick a frame, then looks at 1 or 2 frames either side of that.  If at any point, the attacking player is onside, then let it go.  We're talking fractions of a second in time.

• Like 1

I've slated Brighton to high heaven on here, they actually annoy me. I have more respect for limited shithousers who maximise their output from the small amount of talent at their disposal. Brighton are the complete opposite, they make very very hard work out of winning football matches. Their game management stinks and they are so wasteful. They spend decent money as well and recruit interesting young players from across the world and it's made very little difference.

I hope Potter gets a proper striker in and that myth gets blown out the water too, I think they're just Bournemouth and won't ever really kick on. 

4 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Of course Harry is one of those who still think Spurs are an attractive proposition. Maybe 4 years ago but no chance Spurs is a step up for Rodgers currently. 

Thing is Rodgers WILL see the stadium, the location, the history. 

I get the impression that the prestige of running a big club will always be a bigger draw than the 'right' choice. He'll be desperate to be the man who turned around Tottenham Hotspur. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

I get the impression that the prestige of running a big club will always be a bigger draw than the 'right' choice. He'll be desperate to be the man who turned around Tottenham Hotspur. 

I guess we will have to see. Regardless I can’t see Levy paying what it would take to get him anyway.

Obviously i'm bias but surely continuing in an upward trajectory with a so called 'lesser club' like ourselves is more impressive.

• Like 1

He'd want some of our players as well so if he did go we'd have to put a clause in to prevent him taking them whilst they're in our contracts.

5 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

But he knows he's only got one more shot at a big club unless he starts winning some meaningful trophies and he's better placed to do that here in the short term than Spurs or Arsenal.

Thing is Rodgers WILL see the stadium, the location, the history

The history?

Spurs have 2 league titles, no European cups, a couple of uefa cups. They’ve hardly got a proud history of winning things. 
The only thing Spurs have is a new stadium and a crap load of debt to go with it.

In terms of squad they need a full rebuild, Kane and Son aside, I don’t think they have any players who will command big fees to pay for a rebuild either. 
Kane wants out, any manager would be mad to go there now. 
The only thing I can see them doing is getting a a manager from overseas who might want to work in the Premier League, a manager chasing a pay check or taking a risk on a Gerrard/ Lampard who might like a shot.

12 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Of course Harry is one of those who still think Spurs are an attractive proposition. Maybe 4 years ago but no chance Spurs is a step up for Rodgers currently. 

It's not about a step up in my mind. It's about his ego and a chance to boost that. Imagine if he went there and they won the league for the time in 60+ years under him. That would cement his fame. As Redknapp says winning it again here would never eclipse Claudio and 15/16. Winning the FA Cup would be the missing part of the jigsaw for us. If we do that, then he's also cemented his place. Battling to remain top 4 in years to come or becoming Fighting Cocks hero? 🤔 Perhaps I'm overly cynical. 

3 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

The history?

Spurs have 2 league titles, no European cups, a couple of uefa cups. They’ve hardly got a proud history of winning things. 
The only thing Spurs have is a new stadium and a crap load of debt to go with it.

In terms of squad they need a full rebuild, Kane and Son aside, I don’t think they have any players who will command big fees to pay for a rebuild either. 
Kane wants out, any manager would be mad to go there now. 
The only thing I can see them doing is getting a a manager from overseas who might want to work in the Premier League, a manager chasing a pay check or taking a risk on a Gerrard/ Lampard who might like a shot.

Danny Blanchflower played for them don't you know? 

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

But he knows he's only got one more shot at a big club unless he starts winning some meaningful trophies and he's better placed to do that here in the short term than Spurs or Arsenal.

This is the thing that might well keep him here. 

16 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Spot on imho

The fact that they fraudulent, tax-dodging spiv is even talking about Rodgers in the same breath as acknowledging they've got a manager lined up is worrying enough for me. 

No doubt he's got some connections in the club. 

Have Spurs really got it in them to win the PL, I just cant see anyone other than the 2 Manchesters, Chelsea and Liverpool winning it in the foreseeable future.

47 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me at the end of the season if 'Arry is right. If we win the FA Cup and finish top 4, Rodgers can say he's achieved what he set out to do with us and could go to Spurs with hugely re enhanced reputation and a lower risk shot for restoring the 'glory' the cocks have tried to bask in since 1961 

If he went there he'd only be setting himself up to ruin the reputation he's been trying to build. Spurs would be a set up for failure.

1 minute ago, ARTY_FOX said:

If he went there he'd only be setting himself up to ruin the reputation he's been trying to build. Spurs would be a set up for failure.

In their favour is the stadium and location. 

Against them is the debt and the fact the club stinks of failure and the super league business. 

Can’t help but think he’d need to improve his European record if he was to make a move to a ‘bigger’ club. We weren’t great this year, he wasn’t good with Celtic and pretty poor overall with Liverpool. Not sure what the reason is but he seems to learn every year so hopefully next season will be better.

17 minutes ago, davieG said:

Have Spurs really got it in them to win the PL, I just cant see anyone other than the 2 Manchesters, Chelsea and Liverpool winning it in the foreseeable future.

The gaps getting smaller, I often claim the Premier League isn't that good or lacking quality, by that I mean theres no out and out front runner anymore - which is a good thing, we won the league because no-one else turned up, Liverpool won the league last season because no-one else turned up, Man City similar this season (Man City themselves arguably didn't turn up for the first half of this season), I would like to say this seasons points total must be on course to be lower than in recent years? I don't know this as fact may I add.

The top 4/6 isn't the same old clubs, the 'smaller/lesser' clubs are starting to close the gap, which alongside money is exactly the reason they tried to put this Super League in place.

That's not to say I see Spurs winning the league, but I don't just see it as the 2 Manchesters, Chelsea and Liverpool with chances of winning it, they probably will but there is more pressure, more of a challenge to do so in this present moment.

I just hope the 'smaller/lesser' clubs continue to close the gap.

Edited by Matt