Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

10 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

In their favour is the stadium and location. 

Against them is the debt and the fact the club stinks of failure and the super league business. 

If standing in the dug out in that stadium for 18 months until you're sacked and your reputations back in tatters is worth it to rogers then all the best. But I highly doubt it is. 

Their best player reportedly wants out, have 2 players that get in our team, need a massive over haul that Levy won't pay for. What exactly about that sounds appealing? We'll win trophies before spurs do again.

Edited by ARTY_FOX

24 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

The history?

Spurs have 2 league titles, no European cups, a couple of uefa cups. They’ve hardly got a proud history of winning things. 
The only thing Spurs have is a new stadium and a crap load of debt to go with it.

In terms of squad they need a full rebuild, Kane and Son aside, I don’t think they have any players who will command big fees to pay for a rebuild either. 
Kane wants out, any manager would be mad to go there now. 
The only thing I can see them doing is getting a a manager from overseas who might want to work in the Premier League, a manager chasing a pay check or taking a risk on a Gerrard/ Lampard who might like a shot.

Be fair now, they were top of the table for 14 minutes and did win the Aldi Cup 🤣

32 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

The history?

Spurs have 2 league titles, no European cups, a couple of uefa cups. They’ve hardly got a proud history of winning things. 
The only thing Spurs have is a new stadium and a crap load of debt to go with it.

In terms of squad they need a full rebuild, Kane and Son aside, I don’t think they have any players who will command big fees to pay for a rebuild either. 
Kane wants out, any manager would be mad to go there now. 
The only thing I can see them doing is getting a a manager from overseas who might want to work in the Premier League, a manager chasing a pay check or taking a risk on a Gerrard/ Lampard who might like a shot.

Tottenham Hotspur – 17 major trophies – League x2, FA Cup x8, League Cup x4, European Cup Winners’ Cup x1, UEFA Cup x2

1 minute ago, SemperEadem said:

Tottenham Hotspur – 17 major trophies – League x2, FA Cup x8, League Cup x4, European Cup Winners’ Cup x1, UEFA Cup x2

What's fascinating though is they've wormed their way in as a supposed elite club with just 1 FA Cup win and 2 League Cup wins in 30 years, its astonishing. 

1 hour ago, dayday said:

HARRY REDKNAPP 

Ruthless Tottenham will have sorted a new boss before sacking Jose Mourinho… for me, Brendan Rodgers would be perfect

THE timing and the speed of Jose Mourinho’s departure told me one thing for certain - Spurs have already done a deal for their next manager.

There’s no doubt Tottenham will have spoken to someone about the job, I know exactly how it works.

Mauricio Pochettino left at 8pm one night and by 8am the next morning Jose was  at the ground and ready to take training. It’s just how it goes.

I’d say the man they have lined up is in work at the moment and can’t leave until the season is done - or if it’s an international manager, until after the Euros.

That’s why Ryan Mason is in charge for now - but I guarantee they will have something sorted already.

It may be a German, an Italian, a national team manager like Belgium’s Roberto Martinez, or someone in the Midlands.

But they’ve definitely got someone lined up - and if you asked me who I’d put in, it would be Brendan Rodgers ahead of Martinez and RB Leipzig’s Julian Nagelsmann.

I’d have thought Brendan has a great chance, too, because I know they went for him when they got rid of me.

They spoke to him a few times before Andre Villas-Boas got the job.

I know he’s got an FA Cup final to come and the top four to go for with Leicester but look at the potential at Spurs and it’s massive.

He could win things at Tottenham that they never have before - but he’ll never beat what Claudio Ranieri did, because Leicester were Premier League champions under him.

It’s all about timing - like no one really wanting to be the man who followed Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.

Tottenham’s stadium is the best in the country, if you keep Harry Kane and Son Heung-min, get Dele Alli playing again, a bit of tinkering and they wouldn’t be a million miles off.

I don’t go along with anyone who says Jose was sacked now because it would have been more difficult if he won the Carabao Cup this afternoon. That would make no difference.

Owner Joe Lewis and chairman Daniel Levy are fearless and ruthless - I finished fourth, a point off third place, and they got rid of me!

My worry with Spurs is yeah it does only need a bit of tinkering. They've got the forward line, goalkeeper, and probably the midfield to be competing high up the table, but their defence is either too aged or too inexperienced.

But can they afford to spend the kind of money needed to sort that back line out because it probably needs an overhaul, maybe even 4 or 5 signings.

Also I'm not sure about comparing Brendan coming in to managers following Alex Ferguson. He's right, in isolation nothing can top the first title win. But we're just at the start of our push as a top Premier League side. Building a legacy here would involve winning two or three FA Cups, possibly a Europa League, hopefully another title and going deep into the CL (semis would be amazing and then who knows what could happen from there). I'm dreaming, I know.

Our trajectory is going one way and just because he's following in the footsteps of a manager who's provided the best moment in our history so far, it doesn't mean that Rodgers can't equal or better it. I'd look at Chelsea, who have gone through managers like hot cakes since Mourinho flounced in and became their best ever manager in the 2000s. They've continued to win things and remain competitive whoever they've had in charge.

But, if Rodgers does want to go and test himself at Spurs then it'll cost a pretty penny to spring him from his contract here. And we can use some.of the money to get Sergio Conceicao from Porto and bring his apparently incredibly talented son Francisco with him :thumbup:

9 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Which would have them just about in the top 10 of English clubs and no where near the top 6. It’s hardly a glorious history that would attract someone to move to the club for. 
Especially when you think maybe 5 maximum of those have come in the last 50 years.

6 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9508233/Brendan-Rodgers-Tottenhams-choice-successor-Jose-Mourinho.html

Via the Sun, no chance of Rodgers leaving us for Spurs if he does leave it will be to Manchester City in the premier league or abroad.

Arsenal are much bigger, and much more prestigious than Spurs so going to Arsenal to rebuild that club would make more sense. Spurs aren't an elite club. They can't even buy one of our better players.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

My worry with Spurs is yeah it does only need a bit of tinkering. They've got the forward line, goalkeeper, and probably the midfield to be competing high up the table, but their defence is either too aged or too inexperienced.

But can they afford to spend the kind of money needed to sort that back line out because it probably needs an overhaul, maybe even 4 or 5 signings.

Also I'm not sure about comparing Brendan coming in to managers following Alex Ferguson. He's right, in isolation nothing can top the first title win. But we're just at the start of our push as a top Premier League side. Building a legacy here would involve winning two or three FA Cups, possibly a Europa League, hopefully another title and going deep into the CL (semis would be amazing and then who knows what could happen from there). I'm dreaming, I know.

Our trajectory is going one way and just because he's following in the footsteps of a manager who's provided the best moment in our history so far, it doesn't mean that Rodgers can't equal or better it. I'd look at Chelsea, who have gone through managers like hot cakes since Mourinho flounced in and became their best ever manager in the 2000s. They've continued to win things and remain competitive whoever they've had in charge.

But, if Rodgers does want to go and test himself at Spurs then it'll cost a pretty penny to spring him from his contract here. And we can use some.of the money to get Sergio Conceicao from Porto and bring his apparently incredibly talented son Francisco with him :thumbup:

Spurs need more than a bit of tinkering to compete for top honours, yes they have a decent forward line, but, Kane wants out and with Spurs budget will be impossible to replace. Son is quality, but relies on Kane and will be 30 next season.

Lloris is 34 and has maybe got one or two more seasons tops at the top level.

The back line is possibly the weakest in the current top 8 and no one in their midfield gets into a top sides midfield.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Which would have them just about in the top 10 of English clubs and no where near the top 6. It’s hardly a glorious history that would attract someone to move to the club for. 
Especially when you think maybe 5 maximum of those have come in the last 50 years.

It is easily a ‘proud history’ of winning things.

Taking away the super league stuff. I struggle to understand the bashing a large section of our support give Spurs. What they had a scrap with a few in Wembley and then finished 11 points behind us in the table 5 years ago.

31 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Come on here to read this thread and everyone's panicking because Harry Redknapp said Spurs should go for Rodgers?

Not panicking at all personally. Just trying to have an objective look at what might happen. Quite a few think humans make reasonable rational decisions and they often do. But things like ego do play a part and in my opinion, if we get top 4 and win the cup, BR will be more likely to go to Spurs as it's another chance to boost his own reputation. His ego. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd

That article from Harry is funny, he says keep the squad and they're not too far away...but to counter that: lose Kane and they're fighting for top 7. They're miles off having a title winning squad. Honestly think Rodgers will set his sights higher.

44 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

In their favour is the stadium and location. 

Against them is the debt and the fact the club stinks of failure and the super league business. 

Redknapp shows his love for Spurs blinding his critical faculties, in my view. He cites what Rodgers could do with Son, Kane and Ali, but Son is the only real positive out of those 3. Ali is a complete gamble - no certainty that Rodgers can turn round someone with his character - and Kane might leave for a final hurrah soon to a club that has more chance of trophies. Kane might possibly decline soon, too, as he is vulnerable to injuries and, unlike Vardy, has been playing intensely in the Prem for a lot of years.

As for the rest of the squad, I see little quality and not much for Rodgers to work with.  I really don't see Spurs as a fit for his style of management.

Hope I'm not proved wrong!

9 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Not panicking at all personally. Just trying to have an objective look at what might happen. Quite a few think humans make reasonable rational decisions and they often do. But things like ego do play a part and in my opinion, if we get top 4 and win the cup, BR will be more likely to go to Spurs as it's another chance to boost his own reputation. His ego. 

There is an element of job done if BR wins a cup and gets CL with us ....he may well view it as quitting whilst ahead. 

But the Spurs job would be a curious one. At best he'd more or less only emulate what he can here.

Arsenal would be far more realistic a long term.project to build up as a CL contender 

I know one thing, it's good that we have this strong rumour swirling round because I'm sure Top and Rudkin wwill be seeking reassurances from him in the background. If he does indeed is interested enough I'm sure he's honourable enough to tell Top which gives us a chance to find his replacement.

or am I being naive here? 

Great weekend so far. I celebrated that Wilock goal like it was a Leicester goal. We need to the business v Palace and Saints. Even with a game in hand, putting 5th and 6th in double figure points behind us before they next play, adds proper pressure.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

That article from Harry is funny, he says keep the squad and they're not too far away...but to counter that: lose Kane and they're fighting for top 7. They're miles off having a title winning squad. Honestly think Rodgers will set his sights higher.

What I will say is, he should have probably hung on just abit longer at Celtic then he'd have probably got the Spurs job after Poch but given what he's got here, what he's done here in comparison to Spurs in the current moment I don't see reasons for it to happen.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Rodgers has one last chance at a perceived big club, he can't get it wrong. If he leaves us too early for someone like Spurs and struggles then he will forever regret what could have been. They are skint and I just don't see him working well there.

Rodgers is 48, Roy Hodgson is 73, why is this 'one last chance' ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

But he knows he's only got one more shot at a big club unless he starts winning some meaningful trophies and he's better placed to do that here in the short term than Spurs or Arsenal.

I think Chelsea is the one he'd really want- their set-up is far superior in terms of squad and finances.

These are enormous re-building jobs at Arsenal and Tottenham with unpopular owners. If he wants to go to either then that's his choice but it is a massive risk.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

I think Chelsea is the one he'd really want- their set-up is far superior in terms of squad and finances.

These are enormous re-building jobs at Arsenal and Tottenham with unpopular owners. If he want to go to either then that's his choice but it is a massive risk.

I know talk is cheap but wasn't there a bust up between Chelsea and Rodgers when he was there and one of the parties (or maybe even both) said he'd never end up back there?

As I said talk is cheap.

• Like 1