Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

Chill out lads, I have no delusions of us challenging the top 4 again next year, but we will be comfortably mid-table. We've still got plenty in our locker, we just need to develop a bit of backbone again and strengthen our defensive depth. If we can use that energy to have a proper go at whichever European competition we find ourselves in, and be in and around Europa contention next year, I consider that a good season - and what I'd have expected this year before our barnstorming first few months.

To say we've overacheived isn't exactly fair, because we always targeted the top 6, but it's only our slump in 2020 that has us disappointed to still be fighting for UCL on the final day. Ultimately, we acheived our goal which was European footy, and we could yet go one better and get to the big leagues.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

We need Maddison and Tielemans on their 2019 form if we’re to do anything useful - Barnes, Vardy and Perez are capable of getting 40 goals between them, it’s just a case of getting them the chances.

Starting the new season without Ricardo, Maddison, Chilwell, Fuchs is obviously not ideal. The early results often set the tone for the remainder. 

What makes it really shite is that we still won't be able to go :(

Think Liverpool will win it again. 

Sadly they look unstoppable and while not blown teams away every time, they've been able to dig in and get the wins almost non-stop. Plus they'll add to their squad and even though Man City will add to theirs, I'm not sure they'll do enough to claw back such a big difference in points. 

As for the rest of us, can see Man Utd being more consistent and perhaps make more improvements (needed) to their defence. 

Chelsea could be the best challengers to Liverpool and Man City, if there's gonna be one. Their front line will be ridiculous. Werner, Ziyech, Pulisic, Havertz could be deadly. 

Obviously I'd love us to get top 4 again but without serious improvements to squad depth, I'd rather go far in Europe (either comp) and qualify for Europe in the league again.

Fvck the rest of the league. Irrelevant :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

I think we’ll be closer to bottom. That’s not outrageous doom mongering, I just think we won’t be able to add to our squad in a way we would have hoped pre covid. We’ll have extra games and we look really leggy currently, it’s not as if the players are going to come back completely rejuvenated like they would over a regular preseason.

We’ll be better than our current form because we have so many missing but I think mid table and possibly lower mid table is more realistic next season, all things considered.

Lets not forget we'll have our full strength squad back. 

It will be interesting to see what is conceived success next season. Yeh challengers for top 5 are likely to improve, can we still challenge. A lot will depend on our summer. 

Rodgers needs to avoid a long poor run of form, I think he'd get away with an inconsistent season with a decent fist of europa league or champions League, with a top 8/10 finish. 

Need to bring in several new players IMO, I just dont see how we cope and/or get a top 8 finish without it, especially with long term injuries already and Europe. Even with Benkovic, Dewsbury-Hall and few other youngsters its not strong enough a squad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Rodgers being sacked would cost us about £40m would it not? Absolutely scary.

Yeah, unless it's gross misconduct or the sort it's pretty standard to have to pay the rest of their contract off which would be 10 million times how many years he has left. 

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

How on earth are they going to fit in 38 PL games, all the European games, all the league cup and FA cup games as well as at least 8 international games. It doesn't compute, teams are going to be eradicated.

Teams in Europe won't be in the League Cup, no replays in the FA Cup, probably 7 or 8 midweek league matches.

I wasn't sure about 5 subs next season but looking at the schedules it is probably needed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

Chill out lads, I have no delusions of us challenging the top 4 again next year, but we will be comfortably mid-table. We've still got plenty in our locker, we just need to develop a bit of backbone again and strengthen our defensive depth. If we can use that energy to have a proper go at whichever European competition we find ourselves in, and be in and around Europa contention next year, I consider that a good season - and what I'd have expected this year before our barnstorming first few months.

To say we've overacheived isn't exactly fair, because we always targeted the top 6, but it's only our slump in 2020 that has us disappointed to still be fighting for UCL on the final day. Ultimately, we acheived our goal which was European footy, and we could yet go one better and get to the big leagues.

I do agree we are likely mid table next year which I will accept if we have a good European run. I would hate to become an Everton for example, and just be in the premier league but do nothing. We have been lucky to have lots of promotions, relegations, play offs, title wins last couple of decades which has been brilliant.

You are correct, start of season we have achieved our goal, however 2020 on a whole has been a disaster for us, 5 wins in 21 is embarrassing for a club with our aspirations. We should have had champions league sewn up and not go into final game with anything to play for. But as we are Leicester we never do anything the easy way. 

11 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I think we’ll be bottom half of the table. We’ve been found out and Rodgers won’t see next season out. Need to invest. 

I do agree we have been found out and Rodgers is not as good as he / we / the media thought he was. To stay in the top 6 next season will be incredibly tough. Arsenal, Wolves, Spurs will invest and get stronger. We have a superb training ground to rival any club in the world, European football, and the best owners in football. We have a lot going for us as well and have a huge summer ahead. Investment is key. I think we need a realistic marquee signing so to speak, to motivate and push everyone in our squad to improve. 

18 minutes ago, Unique FC said:

I do agree we have been found out and Rodgers is not as good as he / we / the media thought he was. To stay in the top 6 next season will be incredibly tough. Arsenal, Wolves, Spurs will invest and get stronger. We have a superb training ground to rival any club in the world, European football, and the best owners in football. We have a lot going for us as well and have a huge summer ahead. Investment is key. I think we need a realistic marquee signing so to speak, to motivate and push everyone in our squad to improve. 

I just worry especially if we end up in the Europa league. Our squad hasn’t got the strength in depth. Unpopular opinion but I’m baffled why wes was given another year. Legend that he is he should of been given a coaching role. Tactically Rodgers has been found out by inexperienced coaches - lampard, potter. 

4 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Starting the new season without Ricardo, Maddison, Chilwell, Fuchs is obviously not ideal. The early results often set the tone for the remainder. 

What makes it really shite is that we still won't be able to go :(

I didn't think Maddison and Chilwell will be out that long? 

9 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I just worry especially if we end up in the Europa league. Our squad hasn’t got the strength in depth. Unpopular opinion but I’m baffled why wes was given another year. Legend that he is he should of been given a coaching role. Tactically Rodgers has been found out by inexperienced coaches - lampard, potter. 

The strength of opposition in the group stage in the EL won't be anywhere near that of the CL. We potentially would play 2 more matches in the EL, should we get to the final. I still think we can attract decent additions to improve the squad and cope both domestically and in Europe. Wolves have done so this year, with a smaller squad and playing the qualifiers in Europe.

4 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

The strength of opposition in the group stage in the EL won't be anywhere near that of the CL. We potentially would play 2 more matches in the EL, should we get to the final. I still think we can attract decent additions to improve the squad and cope both domestically and in Europe. Wolves have done so this year, with a smaller squad and playing the qualifiers in Europe.

Just don’t think atm our squad wouldn’t of coped like wolves have. It would of meant Morgan and Fuchs playing a lot more. We would of struggled both domestically and in Europe. 

30 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Just don’t think atm our squad wouldn’t of coped like wolves have. It would of meant Morgan and Fuchs playing a lot more. We would of struggled both domestically and in Europe. 

Like I said in my post, I still think we could attract decent enough players to enhance the squad for the EL, if that's where we end up, to cope both domestically and in Europe. I'm not suggesting the

current squad could deal with both, though.

Edited by MGLCFC
  • Like 1