Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

How on earth are they going to fit in 38 PL games, all the European games, all the league cup and FA cup games as well as at least 8 international games. It doesn't compute, teams are going to be eradicated.

And the Euro’s at the end of it.

Good thing there’s no complications in planning the 2022 season around a winter World Cup.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

How on earth are they going to fit in 38 PL games, all the European games, all the league cup and FA cup games as well as at least 8 international games. It doesn't compute, teams are going to be eradicated.

Going to be a crazy season, 

• Like 1

Next season Liverpool and Man City top 2, Spurs, Man Utd, Arsenal, Wolves will be up there. Think Chelsea could flop if they dont get some decent defenders, we very much depend on our transfer business, there needs to be quite a bit to boost all areas of the squad.

59 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

All of United, Man City and Chelsea will spend big this summer due to no FFP. Chelsea already spent 150m + and will still sign two defenders. United will probably get Grealish and Sancho. City getting Ake and will no doubt spend another 100m.

Chelsea are spending what they are because the ban forced them to save, they're spending what they are because  FFP has let them have a positive balance from last year. They're owned by a multi billionaire who isn't bothered by covid financial hardships and can now splurge. 

It's a myth that FFP has been defeated and that everyone can now magically ignore it. Man City weren't in trouble because of what they spent, they were in trouble because of what they claimed to earn from "sponsors" when it was clearly from cash injections. 

As for United and Arsenal, they were never bothered by FFP anyway because their commercial revenue is so legitimately massive FFP allows them to spend infinitely anyway. 

United don't know how to recruit, Arsenal's owners won't and Man City will do what they always do, spend 50 odd million on a couple of players, probably centre backs. 

Basically, only Chelsea will be any different. 

Edited by Finnegan

1 hour ago, winteriscoming said:

I just worry especially if we end up in the Europa league. Our squad hasn’t got the strength in depth. Unpopular opinion but I’m baffled why wes was given another year. Legend that he is he should of been given a coaching role. Tactically Rodgers has been found out by inexperienced coaches - lampard, potter. 

At the moment I do agree we don't have the strength in depth to do well in League and Uefa Cup. I can see why Wes was given another year personally. He is good around the squad and training ground apparently. As we have seen last few games he can still do a job for a season, he knows his role will be 4th/5th place as well. Not easy to sign a player for that role. Coaching role is a good shout - he could do similar to Kolo Toure I guess and move into the coaching side. 

Rodgers I always gets the impression tries to over complicate everything when the basics work well and is very stubborn with his ideas and won't change to a plan B or make subs quick enough. He started out superbly but for a while now has been very limited, and tactically beat by Lampard, Ancelotti, Mourinho and Potter.  

Transfer window wise I would look at Norwich, Watford and sign 2-3 players to improve our side. Such as Cantwell / Sarr / Lewis. I think they will help both strength in depth but also ability to improve first team. A cb needed as well would be ideal. Demiral would be superb.

17 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Next season Liverpool and Man City top 2, Spurs, Man Utd, Arsenal, Wolves will be up there. Think Chelsea could flop if they dont get some decent defenders, we very much depend on our transfer business, there needs to be quite a bit to boost all areas of the squad.

Can't see arsenal being up there especially with all the talk around Aubamyang and Lacazette. Also Wolves have had two good season but I will be interested whether they will be able to keep it up in the long term especially once other teams figure out Nunos style. I think the ones to watch next season will be Spurs. Liverpool and Man City will be strong but will be interesting to see if Liverpool can keep their levels up. Man Utd will either be sensational or comfortably mid table in my opinion, jury's still out on Ole and Fernandes for me. I think Leicester will be right up there providing we can get players fit again and maybe add a quality winger and some more squad depth, we have a young squad who will only get better if kept together.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I genuinely think Man City will walk the league next season and Liverpool will fall off. There seems to be a touch of complacency with some of their performances since winning the league, so wouldn't be surprised if they finished third or even fourth. United look well improved and if they sign well I think they could well be man city's nearest rivals. 

As for us, we need to bolster our squad but I would still put us in that group fighting for European football. 

• Like 1

Looking at UEFA’s autumn timetable, the Nations League, Euro playoffs, Champions League and Europa League will take up all of the midweek slots between early September and the second week of December plus two weekends (10/11 October and 14/15 November).

So, with the Premier League kicking off on the weekend of 12/13 September, that means 12 Premier League matchdays (all at weekends) can be played up to and including the weekend of 12/13 December. Then, if there is no League Cup slot in December, five more Premier League matchdays can be accommodated in the second half of December plus another at New Year.

So (weather permitting) 18 of the 38 matches will be completed before the FA Cup third round in early January. That’s three fewer than in 2019/20, but with that experimental winter break and FA Cup replays scrapped there will be ample opportunity to get the final 20 games played before 23 May.

38 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Chelsea are spending what they are because the ban forced them to save, they're spending what they are because  FFP has let them have a positive balance from last year. They're owned by a multi billionaire who isn't bothered by covid financial hardships and can now splurge. 

It's a myth that FFP has been defeated and that everyone can now magically ignore it. Man City weren't in trouble because of what they meant, they were in trouble because of what they claimed to earn from "sponsors" when it was clearly from cash injections. 

As for United and Arsenal, they were never bothered by FFP anyway because their commercial revenue is so legitimately massive FFP allows them to spend infinitely anyway. 

United don't know how to recruit, Arsenal's owners won't and Man City will do what they always do, spend 50 odd million on a couple of players, probably centre backs. 

Basically, only Chelsea will be any different. 

I thought UEFA had said that FFP was suspended for 20/21? Read it earlier but can't seem to find a source that specifies it now, only that FFP is being relaxed. I assumed it meant that they wouldn't be looking at financial accounts for the 20/21 season. It was discussed on here too but I ain't going through 50 pages trying to find itlol

'After UEFA confirmed the suspension of the Champions League and Europa League indefinitely, the governing body also announced that Financial Fair Play regulations will not be assessed at all for the 2020/21 cycle. '

https://futaa.com/article/205123/uefa-suspend-2020-21-financial-fair-play-assessment

Few sources claiming the same, but nothing concrete I guess.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Larry_LCFC said:

Saying only 33% of fans allowed back in October. How on earth do they decide which? 

Just now, MPH said:

this years season ticket holders  get first option on id imagine... alternate home games too

Yeah I'd imagine you'll get to go every other game. Then for maybe 3 or 4 you can miss (due to work commitments, holidays etc.) and pick other ones so attend 3 or 4 in a row?

Wonder how they will sort the direct debits for that? If you can only go to half the games I presume that we only pay half the price until more return to the kp.

To be honest if everyone is made to wear masks I cant see the point of distancing as well. I suppose it depends on transmission rates the next few months. If masks really stop you from coughing out droplets if you have it, it should really stop it in its tracks.

9 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Wow, so there will be a 6 week break before the season starts? Interesting. I guess European qualifiers will start before then though?

Usually the start of the season is filled with excitement and anticipation, but I think it will feel very different this time round. 

I guess they've made it short because we already had that super long break already, so it probably already reset and cooled athletes down a lot.

9 hours ago, shailen said:

I think confidence is low and if we don't get champions league, we'll either reflect and come back stronger next season or it'll be a downwards spiral. I personally think we have enough leaders in the squad who will get the lads going again and will be hurt if we do blow CL. We have shown the quality but not the consistency this season, hopefully we'll show both next season. 

I think if we were capable of coming back stronger, we would have already shown evidence in the past few weeks, which we haven't imo.

8 hours ago, Guest said:

They were out of it by the end of August. I think they struggled because they're shit, not because they were in the Europa League

Their preseason was ruined by it, and the multiple injuries they recieved because of it derailed their season. It absolutely sent them into the relation zone. Burnley, apart from that blip, have consistently been an ok midtable team the past few seasons (indeed, once all their players were back fit their form markedly improved). We shouldn't fear exactly the same fate however, as their issues were primarily brought about by starting their season so early.

15 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Their preseason was ruined by it, and the multiple injuries they recieved because of it derailed their season. It absolutely sent them into the relation zone. Burnley, apart from that blip, have consistently been an ok midtable team the past few seasons (indeed, once all their players were back fit their form markedly improved). We shouldn't fear exactly the same fate however, as their issues were primarily brought about by starting their season so early.

Right, but the implication was that their season was derailed because their squad couldn't keep up with the demands of the Thursday/Sunday schedule for a whole season. We don't know if they could keep up or not because they went out so early. Because they're shit.

Just now, Guest said:

Right, but the implication was that their season was derailed because their squad couldn't keep up with the demands of the Thursday/Sunday schedule for a whole season. We don't know if they could keep up or not because they went out so early. Because they're shit.

Yes. Most people who say Europa League will give a team issues, though, refer to clubs who get into it through the qualifiers, because it really does throw awry the preseason.

Surely in terms of ensuring a full season can go ahead with cups and European fixtures the easiest thing to do is to postpone all international football for a year.

This gives you all the extra dates you need to complete the seasons, with minimal interruptions.

Rejig World Cup qualifying, perhaps with all team who didn’t qualify for the Euros playing their games next Summer in a tournament like event, similar to the CL and EL 

They might offer match tickets to season ticket holders. Charge for individual match tickets with no direct debit for season ticket. Once you've had your chance to go to a match you go to the bottom of the queue for the next one.