Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

1 hour ago, turtmcfly said:

Hmmm... it's certainly shorter.

But it doesn't really convey the relative size of those six clubs. I mean, they're much larger in terms of revenue/spending power, have more historic top flight points, have a larger fan base and more sizeable stadia (with the attendant social media reach) than all the other clubs by quite some margin.

'Large six' is getting there, but I think it could be snappier still.

Leave it with me.

Armchair six? mouthbreather six?

3 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Fully agree with this. IMO we need to finish up there consistently for a few more seasons. However, it's definitely all about perception. Having a reasonable level of interaction with Fulham supporters due to the other half's support. Something which struck me after the disaster on Monday. Whilst their supporters were delighted with a win due to their difficult league position, it was also the quality opposition and big scalp they were pleased with.  The majority had the view that we are a 'proper top 6 team' and I underestimate our position, achievement and standing. So, although I begged to differ but agreed it was an ambition. I found it interesting to get the thoughts of other fans with no bias regarding us.

Agree totally about our perception.

My london office has nothing but the utmost respect for us. Roughly, we are probably viewed as I viewed Newcastle or Leeds in the 90s....a serious, serious club. 

I made the point a couple.of weeks ago about how I hated the little Leicester moniker that so many on here use -  albeit in jest. Literally nobody uses that term (apart from perhaps uber jealous championship  clubs) 

Just now, Paninistickers said:

Agree totally about our perception.

My london office has nothing but the utmost respect for us. Roughly, we are probably viewed as I viewed Newcastle or Leeds in the 90s....a serious, serious club. 

I made the point a couple.of weeks ago about how I hated the little Leicester moniker that so many on here use -  albeit in jest. Literally nobody uses that term (apart from perhaps uber jealous championship  clubs) 

I wonder if it only gets rolled out because of the alliteration...

14 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Someone made a compilation of Harry Kane trying to upend jumping opponents.

https://streamable.com/f8wyf9

The pundits will praise his "cunning" play and joke about it, not so funny when one of these poor buggers breaks their neck

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I wonder if it only gets rolled out because of the alliteration...

Yes true. But it still grates. We don't do ourselves any favours sometimes as a city. It's  almost in our DNA to be self deprecating and do ourselves down. 

Basically, the PL sees us as I said as a 90s villa, leeds, Newcastle type disrupter

Yes true. But it still grates. We don't do ourselves any favours sometimes as a city. It's  almost in our DNA to be self deprecating and do ourselves down. 

Basically, the PL sees us as I said as a 90s villa, leeds, Newcastle type disrupter

Interesting subject matter indeed. I wonder how much of how we view ourselves is actually what we project outside ourselves. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

Not pithy enough. It should be just one (preferably very short) word followed by 'six'.

It'll come to me.

Media 6

13 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

There's not a single team in the league that likes playing us. We are viewed by all as a tough game and its been that way for 5 years. So I think thats bang on. 

Ive said this for a while, its the team that can beat us, wolves, everton... that wins the league. 

Edited by Lambert09

2 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

There's not a single team in the league that likes playing us. We are viewed by all as a tough game and its been that way for 5 years. So I think thats bang on. 

Ive said this for a while, it the teams that can beat us, wolves, everton... that will win the league. 

Liverpool have clearly destroyed us these last few meetings....but each time they've been properly pumped up, in a way a  backhanded compliment 

• Like 1

Liverpool have clearly destroyed us these last few meetings....but each time they've been properly pumped up, in a way a  backhanded compliment 

Yup, absolutely... we dont always do well but the teams arrive thinking its going to be a tough one. We definitely got the 'cup final' Liverpool in both of the last visits. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

The pundits will praise his "cunning" play and joke about it, not so funny when one of these poor buggers breaks their neck

He looks at the player with no attempt to play the ball & as you say someone will fall foul of it in a very serious way before long, Should be a Red everytime as it would be in Rugby,

He does it but wouldn't put it passed Jose suggesting it to him also, the guys a serial winner but he is dirty in getting there but would guess a few would love him here as manager. Gerrard spoke with Cole about how Chelsea approached the infamous Liverpool game in 2014 & Cole said the tactic was to basically take the piss, take their time on every throw-in, corner, restart, go down & roll around if tackled, push, shove, kick & nip just to wind up Liverpool & stop them playing, that was the tactic to stop Liverpool going on to win the league nothing to do with football & beating them because they were better & again some would love him here just for a win at all costs.

What to call the big six?

”Big” is subjective so not that

”Top six” is often factually incorrect

”Sky six? Maybe if we’re being a little facetious 

My preference is: “Rich six”. It is factually correct at the moment, but can change over time. Avoids the arguments over “bigness” and the discussions of playing for a “top six” club which, last season at least, omits Arsenal and has a good chance of omitting them again this season. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

My preference is: “Rich six”. It is factually correct at the moment, but can change over time. Avoids the arguments over “bigness” and the discussions of playing for a “top six” club which, last season at least, omits Arsenal and has a good chance of omitting them again this season. 

Also makes them look even more stupid when the finish anything below 6

36 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

By Jobe you've nailed it.

'Big Six'

It's beyond me why the media haven't already coined this phrase to objectively describe what I, in the slick and unctuous demi-solitude of lockdown, have been somewhat clumsily calling 'the biggest six clubs in the UK by a ****ing mile'

5 minutes ago, trabuch said:

We won the title doing that. Funnily enough I seem to recall Spurs fans were highly critical of our style of play at the time. Hopefully they will be worked out quicker than we were.

Likewise we were highly critical, laughed and scoffed at possession stats at that time, which since the football world (and many at our club and fans have since changed their tune I include in that) wank themselves silly about.

Ultimately it's about being effective and working to get the best out of your strengths.

Edited by Matt

6 minutes ago, trabuch said:

We won the title doing that. Funnily enough I seem to recall Spurs fans were highly critical of our style of play at the time. Hopefully they will be worked out quicker than we were.

Basically they could win the title with a manager they loathed and a style of play they mocked.

• Haha 2

Just now, Corky said:

Basically they could win the title with a manager they loathed and a style of play they mocked.

It will make it all the more amusing when they don't (fingers crossed). I do think they are in with a shout of the Caraboa cup though - which will no doubt provide enough justification for their hypocrisy. .