Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Leicester 0-2 Man Utd post match

20 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Nope, gone for it in minute 1 & conceded it would have been 4, 5, 6 nil as they would have sat & picked us off on the counter.

Your suggested tactic of scoring 1 & then sitting for how ever long is not a good 1 & if he had done that you would have been slating him once we conceded.

& finally whilst the main objective was to get to the last break if all square before going banzai it wasn't combined with a seat deep with 10men behind until then, we actually had the better play & chances up to that point & if 0:0 after last break there was a good chance we would have done it.

How do you know it would have been 5 or 6 nil? Personally i'd rather see us have a bit of a go and get in their faces more.

'You would have been slating him' - again, opinions not facts. For the record it's easier to win games when you're in front, than from a 0-0. That's a FACT.

At no point was I suggesting 'going for it' meant pouring forwards with no thought to defending. We clearly don't have the quality at the back to go gung ho with the injuries/suspensions.

If you're happy with the lack of aggression, pressing, quality and general attitude in the last 10-15 games or so then we have different standards. And yes, I know we have a depleted first 11.

19 hours ago, Ricey said:

Man United struggled in their recent matches often because the teams they were up against did good jobs of stopping their creative and attacking players. Southampton pressed Pogba intensely and West Ham man-marked Fernandes out of the match. With our threadbare defence we had to make sure we did that first and then looked to attack.

We know Vardy is our only goal threat and we know their central defenders aren't the quickest. Trying to hit them on the counter was wise.

It's madness to suggest that we set up not to lose. We had plenty of chances throughout the game, but didn't take any. The plan was to push higher and be more attack minded in the final quarter when Man Utd would be at their most fatigued. That plan was sound, but individual errors at the last minute ruined it.

If we'd set up how we did yesterday in more matches against the top 4 I'm sure we would have picked up more than 2 points out of the 18 available that we ended up with.

Pretty sure we did the same at their place, gave them too much respect and lost. The only team we've really gone toe to toe with has been Chelsea and Liverpool for about 30 minutes on boxing day.

Like I say, a lot of people like to worry about other teams first and then hope they can snatch something, fair play. I prefer the more daring braver football and trying to score goals. I'd have even been happy with a back 4 with Hamza and Ndidi in the midfield 3. For me, we needed Barnes on the pitch so we when we won the ball back, we had 3 players ready to go and attack.

We effectively played a 5 2 1 2 formation and were always going to struggle to create clear cut chances. Annoying because we kept getting decent possession around the half way line and then had nobody to pass to because the small number of attacking players were easy to mark.

I just hate losing having not gone for it. I'll happily accept defeat if I feel like the team went for it. I understand your reasoning and it's a fair pragmatic approach, I just have a preference for exciting football. I've always prioritised an entertainment performance over results, always will.

It's why in recent years I've been drawn to Rayo Vallecano, Benevento and Atalanta recently. The former 2 getting relegated, but always had a go.

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Pretty sure we did the same at their place, gave them too much respect and lost. The only team we've really gone toe to toe with has been Chelsea and Liverpool for about 30 minutes on boxing day.

Like I say, a lot of people like to worry about other teams first and then hope they can snatch something, fair play. I prefer the more daring braver football and trying to score goals. I'd have even been happy with a back 4 with Hamza and Ndidi in the midfield 3. For me, we needed Barnes on the pitch so we when we won the ball back, we had 3 players ready to go and attack.

We effectively played a 5 2 1 2 formation and were always going to struggle to create clear cut chances. Annoying because we kept getting decent possession around the half way line and then had nobody to pass to because the small number of attacking players were easy to mark.

I just hate losing having not gone for it. I'll happily accept defeat if I feel like the team went for it. I understand your reasoning and it's a fair pragmatic approach, I just have a preference for exciting football. I've always prioritised an entertainment performance over results, always will.

It's why in recent years I've been drawn to Rayo Vallecano, Benevento and Atalanta recently. The former 2 getting relegated, but always had a go.

Prioritising entertainment over a result, in a match that we needed to win to qualify for the Champions League, would have been madness.

We did create a fair amount of chances, but we fluffed every single one.

Just before the drinks break I'd say we were the better team on the whole. We had Maguire and Lindelof on yellow cards and Man Utd in general were looking tired and nervy, not knowing whether to protect the draw or go for the win. It was great position for us to be more ambitious and attack minded in the last 25 minutes but we blew it right at the pivotal time.

• Like 3

I mean we still absolutely robbed Man United and improved our defence doing it. If we hadn’t sold them Maguire we’d be £80m poorer, they’d most likely have got a more competent defender and we’d have been much further off them.

It was absolutely the right decision on his part to go, and on our part to sell. United less so, but they can afford to carry him and still do okay. But by their standards only okay.

8 minutes ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

It was the bournemouth game that changed everything. We played well in that game until schmeichels mistake.

3 points and a goal difference 4 better would have put us above man u and chelsea and the whole dynamic of the final game has changed. They would have had to take the risks. 

I agree to a certain extent as we'd also have still had Soyuncu available and defensively we'd not have been anywhere near as suicidal vs Spurs and Man Utd. We have forgotten how to win consistently though, I don't think our performance levels have been that bad bar the Brighton game and that 2nd half vs Bournemouth. In every other game we played some good stuff but wasted so many chances and made a lot of individual errors that led to goals, that's what happens when you lose momentum and we somehow need to arrest this slump that has been going on for nearly half a season.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I agree to a certain extent as we'd also have still had Soyuncu available and defensively we'd not have been anywhere near as suicidal vs Spurs and Man Utd. We have forgotten how to win consistently though, I don't think our performance levels have been that bad bar the Brighton game and that 2nd half vs Bournemouth. In every other game we played some good stuff but wasted so many chances and made a lot of individual errors that led to goals, that's what happens when you lose momentum and we somehow need to arrest this slump that has been going on for nearly half a season.

Our performance against Watford was shocking. Brighton performance was shite. Bournemouth second half was dreadful. Everton performance was awful. We should've gone after Arsenal as soon as they went down to 10 men. Its not just the Brighton, Bournemouth or Watford game. We've looked good in one game and that was Sheff Utd.

Just now, LCFCJ said:

Our performance against Watford was shocking. Brighton performance was shite. Bournemouth second half was dreadful. Everton performance was awful. We should've gone after Arsenal as soon as they went down to 10 men. Its not just the Brighton, Bournemouth or Watford game. We've looked good in one game and that was Sheff Utd.

We were far the better side than Watford 1st half, then bar an opening 15-20 mins of the 2nd half we again took it to them and ought to have been 1 or 2up before we conceded that equaliser. We should have got something vs Everton, we had so many chances but yet again we gifted them goals and fluffed our chances. Arsenal had us on the ropes after a good opening 15 mins vs them but then we were far the better side in the 2nd half even before they had a man sent off, was frustrating we didn't push harder to get a winner mind you. We didn't have another gear to go to after the equaliser which was not good enough. We battered Palace? Should have been 5 or 6, we battered Bournemouth 1st half and should have been 3 or 4 but danger was always round the corner for us in most games in 2020, it's horrible to accept and put up with.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I think our lack of finishing has been a major issue, players just seem unable to hit the target, Madison, Tielemans and Barnes. Or if it is on target it's straight at the keeper. Iheanacho does seem to get a high proportion of his efforts on target being the exception.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mapperleyfox said:

How do you know it would have been 5 or 6 nil? Personally i'd rather see us have a bit of a go and get in their faces more.

'You would have been slating him' - again, opinions not facts. For the record it's easier to win games when you're in front, than from a 0-0. That's a FACT.

At no point was I suggesting 'going for it' meant pouring forwards with no thought to defending. We clearly don't have the quality at the back to go gung ho with the injuries/suspensions.

If you're happy with the lack of aggression, pressing, quality and general attitude in the last 10-15 games or so then we have different standards. And yes, I know we have a depleted first 11.

1. Man U 1 of the best in the lge at counter attacking, if committed to chase the game early on they would have scored more, this time will leave how many as open ended.

2. Ok a sterotypization of you on my part only you know how you would have reacted my bad.

Regarding your fact, is it thou? Would depend on who your playing, when you scored & what that score difference was, i would assume defending a 1 nil lead for 80mins against an attacking side would not be easy, it only takes a second to score a goal as they say.

3. Do you not think we were going for it from the start, we got in their face & restricted Pogba to a few touches, virtually marked Fernades out the game completely, forced them wide disrupting their play & pretty much controlled the game. I honestly thought the tactics were sound & at 0:0 with both sets of players tiring that last 15/20 would have fallen into our hands as we had the faster more direct attacking bench, but 1 mistake changed that.

4. Ok you veer off from this game to the last 15 here & of course i'm disappointed in how the season panned out & yes 1 or 2 things/players annoyed me over these games but i also try & look at the bigger picture as to why the wheels came off & not lay blame individually - Vardy off form/injured turn of new year, losing Ndidi for 5 games massive loss, leading then to the trickle of injuries Ricardo again massive loss, Chilly & Madders highlighting a total lack of quality depth, Cags moment of madness & the 2 big games he missed, the way the season stopped & re-started & the fixture order the 1st 2 or 3 games back were pretty much flip of a coin for every side & played at a pedestrian pace as they adjusted to no crowds & affectively a restart of building match fitness etc, had those last 2 games been the 1st 2 games back & we then had Watford/Brighton nearer the end we win those games & finish 3rd regardless of other results. The B'Mouth game i really don't understand how Nacho came from zero to hero after being taken off in a winning position it didn't affect the play to the point of what happened, it was the mistakes that changed that game for me, had he taken 1 of Ndidi, Cags, Evans or Vardy i would have scratched my head but taking off a 2nd fiddle striker who never plays a full 90 with an additional International CM, yes in hindsight maybe left it 10mins into 2nd half see how things panned out, but it didn't have me overly concerned at the time, but i was concerned with how the players reacted once it started to fall apart thou.

Rodgers is not without blame some of his games he has worried to much about the opposition & played 2 DMs against a 'lesser' team & yes i'd like to see him going mental on the side lines on the odd occasion where warranted but at the same time not act like a Klopp Jekyll & Hyde character

Which finally brings me to the team itself & the big difference in this & the title winning side. The title winning side were all seasoned pros with an average age of 28 all smack in their prime, they had the mental strength to keep it together, they had the experience on managing a game, they had the scars from previous failures, they didn't have the injuries & they also didn't have VAR.
I'd like to think next season this team will make another step up similar in the way that brought on Deeny day, they will be hurting but will learn from this experience & hopefully be better prepared mentally in themselves. 
5th is a brillant season & a march into Europe & the experience that brings, if anything it should help the development more in that we would be playing some lesser teams that will require us to break them down, mixed with a few seasoned regulars that will give us a different challenge.

Yes the prestige of CL is what everyone wants but getting pumped by Barcelona, Madrid & Juventus will not aid development as much, so lets take the next step on the rung & build into a team that can cope sitting regularly at the top table not try & jump 5 rungs to have a season in the sun.

I'm sick of hearing other teams fans telling me i'd have taken 5th at the start of the season. That was nearly a year ago. 

It wouldn't be so bad if there was a good chance of us being able to build on this and challenge next year but i just can't see it. It's so disappointing because chances like this will come along very few times in our lifetimes and especially for the older players like Vardy and Kasper - this was their chance to go out on a high. 

The Europa League can give us some of our best ever nights though i suppose. I'm just sick of this small club mentality that gets attached to us, we should have eased home for top 3, let alone 4. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, messerschmitt said:

I think our lack of finishing has been a major issue, players just seem unable to hit the target, Madison, Tielemans and Barnes. Or if it is on target it's straight at the keeper. Iheanacho does seem to get a high proportion of his efforts on target being the exception.

Tielemans clever placed shot in the 1st half was typical of our form and his form this season, there was absolutely nothing wrong in the execution and was almost genius but it just went the wrong side of the post, Barnes on the other hand needs to try and purposely shoot wide as he hits almost every shot that goes on target straight at the keeper, if he tried to exaggerate his direction of shots he might start to put a few either side of the keeper.

23 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Brendan already said before the game that the second half drinks break was the point at which he would make a change in approach if needed ..... we were seconds away .......

Convenient that it was gonna be just after we conceded eh? haha

I didn't see the other lads stripping off and getting ready until the goal went in. Just Praet.

29 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Tielemans clever placed shot in the 1st half was typical of our form and his form this season, there was absolutely nothing wrong in the execution and was almost genius but it just went the wrong side of the post, Barnes on the other hand needs to try and purposely shoot wide as he hits almost every shot that goes on target straight at the keeper, if he tried to exaggerate his direction of shots he might start to put a few either side of the keeper.

De Gea had that Tielemans shot covered all day long. 

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Sad thing is Barnes was just starting to fire before the lock down and since then he's not hit that rhythm again, it's a nervous snatching at chances that happens when you try too hard, but I'm sure he'll be back next season and if he keeps progressing at the rate he is he'll be some player.

• Like 2

It's all ifs and buts now and it's fair to say that the injuries done us no favors. But there's only one person to blame for the collapse and it's Brendan.He He clearly sees himself as a top Manager, yet fails to deliver when given the opportunity.

He has to do much better next season starting with quality signings in key areas. Then developing a system to get the best from them.

I'f he starts the season with endless passing and no penetration again he'll be slaughtered.

His honeymoon period is clearly over. He simply has to deliver. No excuses.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

It's all ifs and buts now and it's fair to say that the injuries done us no favors. But there's only one person to blame for the collapse and it's Brendan.He He clearly sees himself as a top Manager, yet fails to deliver when given the opportunity.

He has to do much better next season starting with quality signings in key areas. Then developing a system to get the best from them.

I'f he starts the season with endless passing and no penetration again he'll be slaughtered.

His honeymoon period is clearly over. He simply has to deliver. No excuses.

Yeah, injuries didn't help and we certainly had more than our share of bad luck, what with hand balls that we didn't get and every time it hit a Leicester players hand it was given, and deflected shots from Tottenham and Bournemouth, when did we ever have a shot that was going wide deflected in.

Anyway, I think Brendan is a top manager. I've followed him since I saw program about him when he was at Swansea and He'll sort it out and get us back and hopefully even better. I'm sure most our our current youngsters will improve even further and after this set back we'll be back stronger.

19 hours ago, BKLFox said:

1. Man U 1 of the best in the lge at counter attacking, if committed to chase the game early on they would have scored more, this time will leave how many as open ended.

2. Ok a sterotypization of you on my part only you know how you would have reacted my bad.

Regarding your fact, is it thou? Would depend on who your playing, when you scored & what that score difference was, i would assume defending a 1 nil lead for 80mins against an attacking side would not be easy, it only takes a second to score a goal as they say.

3. Do you not think we were going for it from the start, we got in their face & restricted Pogba to a few touches, virtually marked Fernades out the game completely, forced them wide disrupting their play & pretty much controlled the game. I honestly thought the tactics were sound & at 0:0 with both sets of players tiring that last 15/20 would have fallen into our hands as we had the faster more direct attacking bench, but 1 mistake changed that.

4. Ok you veer off from this game to the last 15 here & of course i'm disappointed in how the season panned out & yes 1 or 2 things/players annoyed me over these games but i also try & look at the bigger picture as to why the wheels came off & not lay blame individually - Vardy off form/injured turn of new year, losing Ndidi for 5 games massive loss, leading then to the trickle of injuries Ricardo again massive loss, Chilly & Madders highlighting a total lack of quality depth, Cags moment of madness & the 2 big games he missed, the way the season stopped & re-started & the fixture order the 1st 2 or 3 games back were pretty much flip of a coin for every side & played at a pedestrian pace as they adjusted to no crowds & affectively a restart of building match fitness etc, had those last 2 games been the 1st 2 games back & we then had Watford/Brighton nearer the end we win those games & finish 3rd regardless of other results. The B'Mouth game i really don't understand how Nacho came from zero to hero after being taken off in a winning position it didn't affect the play to the point of what happened, it was the mistakes that changed that game for me, had he taken 1 of Ndidi, Cags, Evans or Vardy i would have scratched my head but taking off a 2nd fiddle striker who never plays a full 90 with an additional International CM, yes in hindsight maybe left it 10mins into 2nd half see how things panned out, but it didn't have me overly concerned at the time, but i was concerned with how the players reacted once it started to fall apart thou.

Rodgers is not without blame some of his games he has worried to much about the opposition & played 2 DMs against a 'lesser' team & yes i'd like to see him going mental on the side lines on the odd occasion where warranted but at the same time not act like a Klopp Jekyll & Hyde character

Which finally brings me to the team itself & the big difference in this & the title winning side. The title winning side were all seasoned pros with an average age of 28 all smack in their prime, they had the mental strength to keep it together, they had the experience on managing a game, they had the scars from previous failures, they didn't have the injuries & they also didn't have VAR.
I'd like to think next season this team will make another step up similar in the way that brought on Deeny day, they will be hurting but will learn from this experience & hopefully be better prepared mentally in themselves. 
5th is a brillant season & a march into Europe & the experience that brings, if anything it should help the development more in that we would be playing some lesser teams that will require us to break them down, mixed with a few seasoned regulars that will give us a different challenge.

Yes the prestige of CL is what everyone wants but getting pumped by Barcelona, Madrid & Juventus will not aid development as much, so lets take the next step on the rung & build into a team that can cope sitting regularly at the top table not try & jump 5 rungs to have a season in the sun.

Agree with most of your points in 4 & 5. No single reason why the season went to pot, rather a combination of factors including injury, Covid, lack of crowds, young, small, mentally fragile squad and Rodgers over-managing, trying to be too clever.

It's hard to take when you have a crash in form at the end rather than part way through the season which is why most of us feel deflated.

Overall in context it hasn't been bad at all, some of the stuff before Xmas was sensational. Let's hope with a few shrewd additions we can recapture it next season. I'd be very happy with a top 6/7 finish and a decent run in europe and/or the cup.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

Yeah, injuries didn't help and we certainly had more than our share of bad luck, what with hand balls that we didn't get and every time it hit a Leicester players hand it was given, and deflected shots from Tottenham and Bournemouth, when did we ever have a shot that was going wide deflected in.

Anyway, I think Brendan is a top manager. I've followed him since I saw program about him when he was at Swansea and He'll sort it out and get us back and hopefully even better. I'm sure most our our current youngsters will improve even further and after this set back we'll be back stronger.

I so hope you are right. He did do a great job at Swansea under a lot less pressure. And a decent job at Liverpool.

I'm not convinced he's an improvement on Puel that many seem to think he is.

Some of his decisions seem strange to say the least. And he only seems to have one way of playing. That only works for a while. You have to be able to mix it up to keep the opposition guessing.

What worries me more is he's going to be given our accumulated profits from the past few years to sign players without any real record of spending well. Reminds me of when we gave Taylor a blank Cheque book and he nearly Bankrupted the Club.

The Team is positioned nicely, A few good additions will move us forward. Too many squad fillers and we're likely to lose the top talent we have. Which could set us back further. I guess the first signing should tell us something.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I so hope you are right. He did do a great job at Swansea under a lot less pressure. And a decent job at Liverpool.

I'm not convinced he's an improvement on Puel that many seem to think he is.

Some of his decisions seem strange to say the least. And he only seems to have one way of playing. That only works for a while. You have to be able to mix it up to keep the opposition guessing.

What worries me more is he's going to be given our accumulated profits from the past few years to sign players without any real record of spending well. Reminds me of when we gave Taylor a blank Cheque book and he nearly Bankrupted the Club.

The Team is positioned nicely, A few good additions will move us forward. Too many squad fillers and we're likely to lose the top talent we have. Which could set us back further. I guess the first signing should tell us something.

I wouldn't worry too much. Rudkin has proved to be quite shewd. 

• Like 2