Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bonanza

The OH Leuven Thread 2020/21

11 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

They’d be fools not too. And I would totally detest it. 

We are going to see English football clubs invest in clubs across the world to sort through work permit issues. It’s awful

I too detest it, but from a business point of view you can totally understand why it's being done. If you don't utilise loopholes like using a secondary club to sign players who won't be able to get a permit due to new UK rules brought in due to leaving the European Union, then other clubs will. Those clubs then start outperforming the ones that don't, you fall further and further behind, and the club over time stops becoming relevant. 

The worst offenders are the (Manchester) City group and the Red Bull clubs, who can find players all over the world and funnel them into their top tier teams instead of spending hundreds of millions. We clearly invested in Leuven with one eye on doing something similar. 

The only saving grace is that the King Power group as we know are great owners, and I think that unlike the two groups mentioned here, care about the local spirit and club identity. Leuven won't be told to wear the same kit colours as Leicester for example, and long-term will be setup to be self sufficient. They will be organised to be competitive and ambitious within their own league than a straight up feeder club. So perhaps becoming more like a Benfica / Ajax style club who are always going to sell their best players, but can still be competitive and well respected. And hopefully that suits all parties. For what it's worth for the Leuven fans, we Leicester fans still see our best players leave for Man City, Chelsea, Man United, etc so we too know how it feels! Kante left after we won the title!

• Like 3

The weird thing is now that the new rules mean someone like Sowah wouldn’t even have to play for Leuven to get the necessary points, particularly if they were to make Europe. He can be named in a match day squad and that gets a significant amount of points which meet the criteria 

It’s actually created a larger loophole for abuse. 

We are likely to see players bought, sent off to nursery club, named in a few squads and then within six months arrive at their new parent club 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bonanza said:

Highlights od our friendly against Club Brugge reserves

You can tell Ouedraogo hasn't played for a while after the mistake he made for their goal, looks like he was playing centre back in this game when I believe when he was playing at the start of the season he was mainly a left back?

Good work in the box and pass to Eppiah from King for Leuvens 1st goal, really nice touch and finish from Eppiah as well

Al-Tamari with some great footwork and pass through the Eppiah for the 2nd goal aswell

From the players I can see that played I imagine this was all back up players/players needing some fitness?

1 hour ago, Lizhang said:

Just to be clear, i was kidding. OHL isn't owned by Leicester. Leicester didn't invest anything, @StriderHiryu, King Power did. While i'm sure both clubs will work together in mutual benefit, i very much doubt we will turn into a satellite or feeder club. That's not the way KP is communicating with OHL. And even if it were, let me remind you that King Power does not own the grounds, does not own the stadium, does not own the training facilities, doesn't even have the option to pull the money out of OHL that they put into it.

Young players that aren't good enough to play for Leicester yet, and that could grow at OHL, or players like Sowah who can't play in the UK at the time and need to get a work permit, sure. That will happen, but in such a situation if it is beneficial to both parties, and not one being a tool for the other. Should we sign or grow the next Tielemans, i'm sure he'll be off to Leicester after a year or two, and not Man City or PSG. I see it as a symbiotic relationship rather than one taking advantage of the other. If that balance would be disturbed, it would not be in the best interest of King Power or Leicester.

And long may that continue!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moore_94 said:

You can tell Ouedraogo hasn't played for a while after the mistake he made for their goal, looks like he was playing centre back in this game when I believe when he was playing at the start of the season he was mainly a left back?

Good work in the box and pass to Eppiah from King for Leuvens 1st goal, really nice touch and finish from Eppiah as well

Al-Tamari with some great footwork and pass through the Eppiah for the 2nd goal aswell

From the players I can see that played I imagine this was all back up players/players needing some fitness?

He actually makes two mistakes, first losing the ball and then leaving his position to try and rectify the first mistake which opens up the left. :p He's a center back, played there in the first team squad as well but on the left in a three man setup. Eppiah was supposedly really impressive. Very good work on that first goal indeed. 

And to answer your final question, yeah, it was a combination of youth players who are closing in on the first team, bench players in the first team and the new boys. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bonanza said:

Highlights od our friendly against Club Brugge reserves

Thanks as always for the highlights.  Good opportunity for Brys to evaluate the new pair’s fitness for inclusion.

#8 King - #9 Henry - #10 Mercier is sheer domination waiting to happen.  I’m here to tell you, Brugge are ****ing their pants.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...Grandmother is Welsh I believe...makes him Welsh so far as I am concerned!!!

For us continental Europeans it's hard too understand the entire UK - England - Wales - Scotland situation.

Like, how do you guys feel about your nationality? UK or England? Never understood why you have seperate competitions. It would be like Flanders and Wallonia would be different UEFA nations :huh:

Edited by Betelgeuze

1 hour ago, Betelgeuze said:

For us continental Europeans it's hard too understand the entire UK - England - Wales - Scotland situation.

Like, how do you guys feel about your nationality? UK or England? Never understood why you have seperate competitions. It would be like Flanders and Wallonia would be different UEFA nations :huh:

When football became a proper sport with rules, Scotland was the only country we could play against.

1 hour ago, Betelgeuze said:

...actually separate Countries, and with that, it comes with self identity.....!!!

Very much like Flanders and Wallonia except that they have a difference in language but are one country. The UK have the difference in language and devolved governments allowing each country to run its self yet tied to a parliamentary system that encompasses the UK.

In short, separate countries with their own identity.

12 hours ago, Lizhang said:

I'm all for an arrangement like the one with Sowah, where he hasn't even set foot on the Leicester pitch so to speak, and after signing for you, he came straight to us. Imho, he's more a Leuven player who will move on to Leicester in some time, than a Leicester player who is playing for us. He wasn't a finished product that got dropped in our laps. That said, i agree with Klaaz. And especially in a season like this where we are no longer in danger of relegation, or in no hurry to win the title... there is no real need for more player. Due to injuries we were a bit short in defense etc, so no problem with the current situation, but no need for more at the moment. Leuven needs to follow its own trajectory as much as possible, which isn't to say both clubs can't help each other out, but we (the fans) don't care to become Leicester-B.

The current situation is perfect to give some opportunities to OHL youngsters or look for a striker to work himself into the squad with next year in mind.

Oh my days, Leicester B are just off the Champions League places! What is happening... :yahoo:lol

Seriously though, I'm convinced that your club will be respected, it is one of the trademarks of how KP have conducted themselves, at least here in the UK. I think the goalie situation was an interesting demonstration that the full contract players will be have opportunities to respond to the increased competition, and if they perform like your man did, hold on to the shirt.

I think Benko and AK have had similar situations on recent loans, where they were perhaps better than those on the pitch in absolute terms, but the permanent players concerned were performing well.

2 hours ago, Betelgeuze said:

It's a mess frankly, but I think things are becoming clearer. ;)

2 hours ago, Betelgeuze said:

I'm loving a Belgian calling into question the national identities and subdivisions of another country and keeping a straight face lol 

But to be fair, unless you know your football history, I guess it doesn't make too much sense that the UK has four different national teams. Maybe it's more comparable to Denmark and the Faroe Islands? I'm sure there would be a case for Wallonia and Flanders having separate national teams too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shen said:

I'm loving a Belgian calling into question the national identities and subdivisions of another country and keeping a straight face lol 

But to be fair, unless you know your football history, I guess it doesn't make too much sense that the UK has four different national teams. Maybe it's more comparable to Denmark and the Faroe Islands? I'm sure there would be a case for Wallonia and Flanders having separate national teams too.

Never would have thought other countries were aware of the complex situation in Belgium lol

Nevertheless, thanks for the clarification guys! :englandsmile4wf:

19 minutes ago, Betelgeuze said:

Never would have thought other countries were aware of the complex situation in Belgium lol

Nevertheless, thanks for the clarification guys! :englandsmile4wf:

I was born and grew up in your strange country and have family close to Leuven, so I have an advantage ;)

If it was ever discussed in Belgium, would you be for or against Walloon/Flemish national teams? With the occasionally recurring debates as to whether Belgium should continue to exist, it's not that far-fetched of a situation?

6 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

We’re all Flanders aren’t we if they did have two separate teams!! Sorry Timmy! 
Come in you Flanders!

No, not necessarily. But I grew up in Brussels, so I should either stay neutral or have a foot in both camps :D

13 minutes ago, shen said:

I was born and grew up in your strange country and have family close to Leuven, so I have an advantage ;)

If it was ever discussed in Belgium, would you be for or against Walloon/Flemish national teams? With the occasionally recurring debates as to whether Belgium should continue to exist, it's not that far-fetched of a situation?

Personally, I wouldn't be a fan of two seperate national teams. Our national teams exists out of (approximately) 50% players from Flanders and 50% from Wallonia. So the quality in both teams would drop significantly.

I also have no problems with people from Wallonia. I speak French and I find the people there more friendly. Wallonia is also a very different but beautiful region.

Unfortunately, just because we speak a different language, we act like two different countries which I never understood. For example, the media in Flanders almost never talks about 'Belgium' but is always about 'Flanders'. 

5 minutes ago, Betelgeuze said:

Personally, I wouldn't be a fan of two seperate national teams. Our national teams exists out of (approximately) 50% players from Flanders and 50% from Wallonia. So the quality in both teams would drop significantly.

I also have no problems with people from Wallonia. I speak French and I find the people there more friendly. Wallonia is also a very different but beautiful region.

Unfortunately, just because we speak a different language, we act like two different countries which I never understood. For example, the media in Flanders almost never talks about 'Belgium' but is always about 'Flanders'. 

There have historically been cliques reported in the English national teams, based on their club allegiances, which often leads to speculation of whether the English team ever performs to it's potential (notably the team of the early 00's with Beckham, Gerrard, Owen, Lampard etc).

I can imagine the Belgian NT has faced similar issues of trying to integrate the French and Flemish speaking groups throughout the years.

If the split was made, you'd imagine more cohesion within the squad, which could lead to better or similar performances to what we're seeing now.
This generation of Belgian players is absolutely unique from a talent perspective - probably only the team from the early-mid 80s comes close - so I can see why you'd want to keep things as they are from a football perspective. However, once this generation passes, it might be back to another decade or two in the periphery of world football...

. It's easy to see how the UK came to exist. Can someone give a brief history of how Flanders and Wallonia became Belgium.

Excuse my ignorance but I've never really heard of Wallonia, I guess we've heard a lot of Flanders 'talk' because of the wars.