Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

2020/21 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

2 hours ago, Foxxed said:

I’m not sure about the recent dip of form, but I think the lack of academy overhaul is because it’s performing well. With Barnes, Chilwell, Thomas, Hamza good Premier League/England players, and with KDH and Knight looking promising, I would feel uneasy giving academy coaches their P45s. I’d like to see the academy improve even further, since I think English football lags behind France, Germany and Spain, but for all its faults the academy staff have developed one of the best academies in the Premier League - sacking those involved after achieving so much would make me uneasy and be horrible for academy culture. I’m all for improving it but I don’t feel a need for an overhaul, especially when the sale of one of their players has paid for half the new academy complex alone.

...I agree with most of what you have said, and on the face of it the breakthrough of Barnes, Chilwell, Hamza and Thomas is a good return!!!

The law of average says that this success would be likely and quality always finds a way to get out of the group irrespective of things that hold them back. My observation is that we are so technically deficient in our skillset it is embarrassing and in all the games I have seen watching the U23s this season they were clearly second best irrespective of the club they were playing against.

These coaches are limited and as such can only take them so far, and we need to keep up with other clubs, who see the development of their academy a way to keep themselves competitive in order to reduce an ongoing financial burden, having to buy in the quality they need

5 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Pascanu has really set the world alight since being released, hasn't he?

In an ideal world we'd love more academy lads to make it (though at the moment we seem to be fairing reasonably well) but *maybe* we let go of lads we just don't rate? Who was the last one that came back to bite us on our arse?

Wasn’t released. They paid about a million for him. Spanish Segunda level isn’t to be sniffed at. He showed what he was capable of against England at the euros :thumbup:

25 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

Wasn’t released. They paid about a million for him. Spanish Segunda level isn’t to be sniffed at. He showed what he was capable of against England at the euros :thumbup:

Middling about in the Spanish Segunda isn't quite our level though is it, that sort of proves my point? Re: the Euros, one swallow doesn't make a summer. I'll be astounded if he ever reaches the standards we have as a club, that isn't a slight on him - I'm sure he'll have a decent career - more a slight on this weird take that we need to keep and blood every single academy product (regardless of ability) ad infinitum just because.

If they don't make it, it's likely they simply aren't good enough.

• Like 1

Don’t think the bubbles are helping youth teams! Rogers said fitzhugh and leshabela been with the firsts so then can’t go and play for the u23s. Under normal circumstances they train with firsts and still get game time at the weekend. I wonder where muskwe and Ndukwu are training as they haven’t featured for the 23s yet have they? 

1 hour ago, Lesta2014 said:

Don’t think the bubbles are helping youth teams! Rogers said fitzhugh and leshabela been with the firsts so then can’t go and play for the u23s. Under normal circumstances they train with firsts and still get game time at the weekend. I wonder where muskwe and Ndukwu are training as they haven’t featured for the 23s yet have they? 

I'm a bit baffled by this as there have been players play for the U23's and train with the first team, likewise players play for the U18's and then U23's and back to the U18's.

1 hour ago, happy85 said:

Dennis Gyamfi 

still without a club, failed trial in Belgium 

Everyone was saying Leicester lost a future star but this chap can’t get a club ??

These young players seem to think they're all Jadon Sancho. Move abroad and come back a superstar. 

2 hours ago, happy85 said:

Dennis Gyamfi 

still without a club, failed trial in Belgium 

Everyone was saying Leicester lost a future star but this chap can’t get a club ??

There's two Gyamfis. I think I watched the older one (Dennis?) in the Hong Kong 7s. He looked decent, I thought.

Edit: According to this Ghanaian website we offered him a contract extension but he declined. https://www.kickgh.com/more/ghanaians-abroad/9926-confirmed-dennis-gyamfi-leaving-leicester-city-despite-new-contract-offer I'm not sure how long he's been with us, since I generally think we put more emphasis on the players we've coached from a young age, but the articles talks of compensation if he goes to an English club, so it seems he's been with us for a fair while.

Edited by Foxxed

15 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Yes, I’m sure brendan will be delighted to have nige working at the club ......

There's no reason why it should become a problem once the boundaries are set.

What it would mean is that young players capable of making the grade would come through better prepared mentally, and in no doubt of what it takes to step up.

A win all round.

1 minute ago, Clever Fox said:

There's no reason why it should become a problem once the boundaries are set.

What it would mean is that young players capable of making the grade would come through better prepared mentally, and in no doubt of what it takes to step up.

A win all round.

Yes I’m sure that will work....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

A bit further down the development pecking order but...

LCFC Under 11s beat Derby 6-3 (*) on Sunday and my nephew, a goalkeeper, scored one of them!

According to my brother-in-law, his clearance downfield bounced over the wrongly-positioned Derby keeper and into the net.

(*) At that level, they're not hugely fussed about results but focus more on player development. They're also given videos of games to watch (via a clever online portal) and asked to highlight positive/negative things from both sides to help with their learning of the game.

Only one.

England manager Roy Hodgson

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

(*) At that level, they're not hugely fussed about results but focus more on player development. They're also given videos of games to watch (via a clever online portal) and asked to highlight positive/negative things from both sides to help with their learning of the game.

that's interesting 

31 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

As a previous poster has highlighted, would be interesting to see how many games they actually played in the U23 set-up as opposed to those who languish and fail in that system?

According to Transfermarkt these are the amount of U23 games each of them has played

Harvey Barnes - 32 appearances for U23s

image.png.a0220d177ba0f5336154c14a0255f7c8.png

He was on loan to MK Dons for the 2nd half of the 16/17 season where he made 21 appearances, on loan to West Brom for the 1st half of the 17/18 season where he made 28 appearances

Ben Chilwell - 29 appearances for U23s

image.png.83a503dddce9b8a4348a06420bdff9ed.png 

He was on loan at Huddersfield from 19th November 2015 to 3rd January 2016, where he made 8 appearances

Hamza Choudhury - 55 appearances for U23s

image.png.ee07d6a086fee6ca24c5e15f9a5a18dd.png

1st loan to Burton Albion for 2nd half of season in 15/16 where he made 13 appearances, then back again for the 1st half of 16/17 season where he made 15 appearances

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

On 09/11/2020 at 01:48, UpTheLeagueFox said:

A bit further down the development pecking order but...

LCFC Under 11s beat Derby 6-3 (*) on Sunday and my nephew, a goalkeeper, scored one of them!

According to my brother-in-law, his clearance downfield bounced over the wrongly-positioned Derby keeper and into the net.

surely at that age they shouldn't be kicking long ?  my youngest's club wont allow the goalie to kick long until U12 - has to be played out. if the opposition press well then they concede a few but it teaches them to take the ball under pressure and for their team mates to find space to take a pass.  i suppose our U11's are preparing for beaglehole's style  …...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

surely at that age they shouldn't be kicking long ?  my youngest's club wont allow the goalie to kick long until U12 - has to be played out. if the opposition press well then they concede a few but it teaches them to take the ball under pressure and for their team mates to find space to take a pass.  i suppose our U11's are preparing for beaglehole's style  …...

They're encouraged to play out from the back, which he does, but at times when under pressure you have to clear it long. Which he did. And it bounced more than anyone thought.

It's very much an exception, he certainly wasn't trying to score.

• Like 1