Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

2020/21 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

13 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Just seeing our U18s are currently losing 4-1 to Chelsea at HT. 

We've played 6 and half games so far and conceded 29 goals and scored 9. 

That's like nearly averaging conceding 5 goals a game!

I'm sorry but what the hell is going on there? How can it be so bad? 

Who got the job when peake retired?

The mad thing is the U18's were great last season and the U16's have some promising players so something doesn't add up. There's not been that many move up the the U23's either really, only 3-4 so I'm hoping this is the sort of under performance that might finally make the club overhaul the academy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Collymore said:

Just seeing our U18s are currently losing 4-1 to Chelsea at HT. 

We've played 6 and half games so far and conceded 29 goals and scored 9. 

That's like nearly averaging conceding 5 goals a game!

I'm sorry but what the hell is going on there? How can it be so bad? 

...much the same happened with the U23s when the main players were farmed out our one our two brought into the First team bubble!!!

We are trying to transition the age groups and we should expect that there will be some kind of imbalance in performance as the setup has never been a joined up progression based system (i.e playing the same system in the different age group). I can take the defeats, a means to an end policy but expect that the change that will come will be starting from scratch and scouting from a young age looking at the individuals skillset differently.

• Like 2

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

...much the same happened with the U23s when the main players were farmed out our one our two brought into the First team bubble!!!

We are trying to transition the age groups and we should expect that there will be some kind of imbalance in performance as the setup has never been a joined up progression based system (i.e playing the same system in the different age group). I can take the defeats, a means to an end policy but expect that the change that will come will be starting from scratch and scouting from a young age looking at the individuals skillset differently.

Still got distinctly mediocre coaches is my worry.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, themightyfin said:

Adam Barradell is an excellent coach I think that's a little unfair. The coaches can only work with what they have. 

What do you think is the issue with our academy? I'm not saying all the coaches are muck but there seems to be very little interest in overhauling our academy and it is telling.

Last year the U18's were very good. Both Pennant's, Tavares, Bosworth, Nelson, McAteer, Russ, Arlott-John etc were superb. The U16's have been doing well in recent years too, so it's surprising to see the U18's so bad this year. The U16's are still doing well.

The U23's have been badly ran IMO for years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

What do you think is the issue with our academy? I'm not saying all the coaches are muck but there seems to be very little interest in overhauling our academy and it is telling.

Last year the U18's were very good. Both Pennant's, Tavares, Bosworth, Nelson, McAteer, Russ, Arlott-John etc were superb. The U16's have been doing well in recent years too, so it's surprising to see the U18's so bad this year. The U16's are still doing well.

Could hear your mind working all the way across the Atlantic. :)Thanks.

26 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Adam Barradell is an excellent coach I think that's a little unfair. The coaches can only work with what they have. 

...I agree that we need to look again at the players we are bringing in to our academy!!!

We have a Manager in the form of Beaglehole who has an old fashioned outlook of our style of play and we need to change. If the mode of play is in a certain form then a type of player would be recruited to fit this format, therefore the style of play dictates who we bring in. We cannot continue to pursue a policy that limits us and the potential that could pass through our academy and failing to bring out player talents, due to our support staffs limitations.

Edited by sacreblueits442

Hopefully with the new training center about to open, there is a major shake up on the coaching staff from the U23’s downwards.  It seems very stale and going no where fast.  Needs major investment if we are going to deliver on more home grown and home trained youngsters.

2 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Hopefully with the new training center about to open, there is a major shake up on the coaching staff from the U23’s downwards.  It seems very stale and going no where fast.  Needs major investment if we are going to deliver on more home grown and home trained youngsters.

...strange movements were said to be taking place earlier this year with a supposed re-organisation!!!

I believed Petty was elevated and Beaglehole was moved sideways regarding the U23s but it seems like there has not been any difference outwardly of our previous setup and we still see, the maintenance of the status quo.

The club has got it right in so many places, this could be perhaps the biggest change they will have to make, in order to maintain the revenue stream and keeping us self sufficient.

• Like 1

There does need to be a bit of a shake up I think. 

The judgement on players is what baffles me a bit. Brendan clearly rates Fitzhugh - yet he’s never played for the 23s, Tavares another example of someone who’s only just starting to play for the 23s even though he has immense potential. Then I think of the likes of Pennant or Conor Tee who came from the 18s as very highly rated - but haven’t got enough opportunity and are fizzling out, in Tee’s case to the point of being let go.

Never understood the decision to let Pascanu go either after his performance in the U21 euros last summer. The cases of Barnes, Choudhury and Chilwell are all great, but we can definitely do even better. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

Never understood the decision to let Pascanu go either after his performance in the U21 euros last summer. The cases of Barnes, Choudhury and Chilwell are all great, but we can definitely do even better. 

My guess -- and this is pure conjecture -- is part of him wanted to go home. He could have easily found first team football in the Football League, and for more money.

23 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

Never understood the decision to let Pascanu go either after his performance in the U21 euros last summer. 

He couldn't get a game in Romania, he's currently on loan to a second division Spanish side. He hasn't done anything to prove us wrong yet.

29 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

The judgement on players is what baffles me a bit. Brendan clearly rates Fitzhugh - yet he’s never played for the 23s, Tavares another example of someone who’s only just starting to play for the 23s even though he has immense potential. Then I think of the likes of Pennant or Conor Tee who came from the 18s as very highly rated - but haven’t got enough opportunity and are fizzling out, in Tee’s case to the point of being let go.

Pascanu has really set the world alight since being released, hasn't he?

In an ideal world we'd love more academy lads to make it (though at the moment we seem to be fairing reasonably well) but *maybe* we let go of lads we just don't rate? Who was the last one that came back to bite us on our arse?

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

We should appoint Pearson to head up the junior ranks. He knows whats needed and how to handle players properly while improving moral. He'd also command the respect of the players

knowing what he's achieved in the game.

Yes, I’m sure brendan will be delighted to have nige working at the club ......

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I’m not sure about the recent dip of form, but I think the lack of academy overhaul is because it’s performing well. With Barnes, Chilwell, Thomas, Hamza good Premier League/England players, and with KDH and Knight looking promising, I would feel uneasy giving academy coaches their P45s. I’d like to see the academy improve even further, since I think English football lags behind France, Germany and Spain, but for all its faults the academy staff have developed one of the best academies in the Premier League - sacking those involved after achieving so much would make me uneasy and be horrible for academy culture. I’m all for improving it but I don’t feel a need for an overhaul, especially when the sale of one of their players has paid for half the new academy complex alone.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Aleksz said:

...it would be very interesting to take a look at the amount of games played by Barnes, Choudhury and Chilwell in respect of the U23s!!!

I get the impression that the more involvement players have with the U23s, the more the detriment to their careers. I hope the aforementioned next batch of talent, see little of the U23s and are sent out to gain the experience they need, in order to compete for a place, in our first team or can be sold on to fund club.