Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

2020/21 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

45 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Tavares assisted the 1st and then scores a free kick for the 2nd

Hopefully whatever issues were stopping him from playing for us are now sorted and he can get back to showing why he is so highly rated!

Very frustrating, the lad needs his talent harnessing by the right set up and he will be superb.

45 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Very frustrating, the lad needs his talent harnessing by the right set up and he will be superb.

He’s the perfect understudy for Tielemans in the 2 man pivot In our 5-2-2-1/3-4-3 for me, he really suits that role with his physique and skill set. He’s more of the deep lying playmaker type which can’t be said of Ndidi, Mendy and Hamza. 

After Tielemans, Tavares is the only one I can see having the profile to dictate the tempo in that more creative role of the midfield 2. It would be nice if he would sign a new contract, go out on loan and trust the process that has seen Chilwell, Harvey and Hamza into the first team. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Can the team selection tonight clarify that this training bubble bollocks between U23's and first team as a reason for not being able to switch between the 2? 

Both Fitzhugh and Leshabela who trained with and were in the first team squad vs Braga were in the u23 squad tonight so... not a clue haha

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

I think a little perspective is required when discussing the success of certain Academy players and the coaches involvement.

The agents of both Barnes & Chilwell both pressed very hard for loan moves rather than playing for the U23s under Beaglehole as they felt it would stifle their development. As a result, i think both players only spent their U19 season playing U23s football before being loaned out to Barnsley/MK Dons/WBA and Huddersfield respectively

As a previous poster has highlighted, would be interesting to see how many games they actually played in the U23 set-up as opposed to those who languish and fail in that system?

I think their development is largely the result of NOT playing in the U23s rather than the input of the U23s coaches

As for Josh Knight, they told his agent mid-season in his 1st pro year that he wouldn't be offered a new deal without even playing him as they didnt rate him.

Fast forward to an injury crisis 3 months later, Knight is picked for his 1st game at CB, Ranieri and Shakespeare are there watching and Knight has a blinder.

48 hours later, he's called in to training with the 1st team, he's awarded a new contract, and he plays every game thereafter for the U23s....and the rest is history!

But publicly, the U23s coaches claim credit for his development....where the reality is they nearly prematurely ended the career of a very promising player without ever even giving him an opportunity to play and prove himself!

And as for Connor Tee (U18s academy player of the year!), most folk in the know predicted he would have limited opportunities under Beaglehole's U23 style of physical lower league football due to his height and sure enough, he rarely featured and was released at the end of that season. How did a player feted less than 12 months previously for his vision and technical ability somehow fail to feature or develop in our U23s system?   

I think the truth behind our Academy U23 system at present is that the coaches are sometimes able to turn Gold into Gold (which most decent coaches could do!) and sometimes actually turn Gold into lead in examples like Ndukwu and Tee (which is very worrying!)....but they very rarely manage to turn Lead into Gold which is the is the sign of a truly great coach!

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It aggravates the hell out of me the tidbits of info we get about our player development. For his own sake I hope Tavares leaves. If the club can't get its sxit together then the money spent on a new training facility would have been better spent on players of the caliber of Cengiz Under and Wesley Fofana. Going on 2yrs watching this BS. People aggravated with our first team set up would be better served pointing their finger at this. Player Development has to work here or our dreams go up in smoke. And a lot of money on a hi end hotel.

Edited by SO1

Curious to see how Suengchitthawon is getting on. I know we signed him from Nancy but I kinda figured him being brought in was in the hopes of developing a Thai player for the first team (brand and all that). Cool to see he's getting gametime in these competitions, must have something about him?

EDIT - Just did some sleuthing because I'm bored and a little drunk. That was his first appearance for us? If so, anyone able to pass comment? I can't make much judgement from the highlights but maybe one or two of you were savvy to a full stream or whatever.

Edited by OntarioFox

4 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

Curious to see how Suengchitthawon is getting on. I know we signed him from Nancy but I kinda figured him being brought in was in the hopes of developing a Thai player for the first team (brand and all that). Cool to see he's getting gametime in these competitions, must have something about him?

EDIT - Just did some sleuthing because I'm bored and a little drunk. That was his first appearance for us? If so, anyone able to pass comment? I can't make much judgement from the highlights but maybe one or two of you were savvy to a full stream or whatever.

He's played in a few other U23 and EFL trophy games. It does seem there are some players that don't play for the U23's much but get wheeled out for the EFL trophy. This team bubbles seems a load of bollocks as well as there's numerous occasions where players have moved about.

39 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's played in a few other U23 and EFL trophy games. It does seem there are some players that don't play for the U23's much but get wheeled out for the EFL trophy. This team bubbles seems a load of bollocks as well as there's numerous occasions where players have moved about.

Do they wait two weeks, do a couple of covid tests, then move bubbles? That sounds vaguely medically sensible.

2 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Do they wait two weeks, do a couple of covid tests, then move bubbles? That sounds vaguely medically sensible.

Didn't do that with Fitzhugh and Leshabela though, they were on the bench for the first team a mere 4 days previous.

3 hours ago, Lesta2014 said:

Unless they are tested every 2 weeks on the Friday? Got all Clear so back to u23 bubble? 

I mean, if the first team really wanted to use an academy player or vice versa then the testing requirements to enable them to do so would be the easiest thing to solve. 

9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

First team bubble has to stick to Premier League Covid rules so a negative test is needed before an U23's player can join. U23's/U18's aren't in a bubble as far as I'm aware so players can move back to, and between, U23's/U18s no problem

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

The first thing that came into my head when I saw the link was Muzzy Izzets goal :D

Exactly the same!

Worth watching for the Tavares free kick though!

And the fact one of our centre backs just appears to be watching the game go on around him most of the day. Its like they were short and I got roped in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1