Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

James Tarkowski

31 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Far more valuable than Vardy last year.  After Ricardo went down out PotY for sure.

Evans was very good but Vardy was more deserving. Golden boot winner, scored in 8 consecutive matches and defied his age once again. Its quite telling as Vardy has had some unbelievable seasons and still not got POTY, thst year Maguire got it over him was a disgrace. Justice is finally served.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

30m seems way to much for him, he's ok but not brillant, he's going to 28 in November. I reckon 16m max becos he will have no resale value.

16 million gets you a player from the championship not an established premier league player. What world are you living in lol

48 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Anyone who didn't have Jonny Evans in their Premier League team of the season last season knows f*** all about football. If Vardy hadn't won the Golden Boot he would've been deserving of our own player of the season award.

I cannot believe anyone would even think about losing him at the moment. He made Maguire look far, far better than he actually is, and has helped Soyuncu massively in his transition into being a starter.

All of that combined, if you can name me anyone we could realistically sign who is better than Evans at this current moment I would be shocked. He is, for me, in the best 15-20 centre-backs in world football, if not better.

Yeah me too. I said Evans as our player of the season here in a thread when asked before lockdown, even ahead of Ricardo at that stage.

It's an emotional response from me brought about from how last season ended & Ndidi's injury. Imo as an experienced player Evans has just let us down quite dramatically. It's obvious we need more leaders in the team - Kasper tries but it seems awkward, Vardy is a legend who leads the line but isn't a leader of men, Youri is a leader but is still very young, Wes is soon to retire and doesn't start; Evans' antics at the end of last season(again all imo) shows he'll never be Club Captain, and so is more expendable. Especially if we're bringing in an experienced CB who could potentially be a leader.

So age, lack of leadership qualities, history of injuries are the negatives for Evans.

Now as you asked, could we sign a better player than him? Probably not.

Could we sign a player now who will be better than him in 12 months? Quite possibly.

Just now, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Wow you guys think 16m is loose change

16m would not even get you a Jeff Schlupp these days. It’s not a question of it being loose change, more the (ridiculous) going rate.

• Like 2

There is no way you're signing a first choice premier League centre back for less than £20m, unless there is a release clause or he's near the end of his contract. You can argue value but it ain't going to happen. 

I think we're getting to a stage in the window where if we want someone we might have to just pay a few more quid. Is it worth the extra for premier league experience, no quarantine issues so can go straight in etc. 

Just now, CrispinLA in Texas said:

If Leicester pay Burnley 30m for him, Burnley would probably make around 25m profit from us and then go out and buy another ul and coming player from the championship for around 4m

Yep and that's why they are happy finishing 17th or above every season. Ambition costs money.

1 minute ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

If Leicester pay Burnley 30m for him, Burnley would probably make around 25m profit from us and then go out and buy another ul and coming player from the championship for around 4m

You haven't paid attention to fees from the championship recently have you? Especially for up and coming players. 

2 hours ago, Billy Big Balls said:

There's too much tunnel vision on having one set starting lineup. We're going to play 50+ games this season. Even assuming all of our CB's stay fit, they'll have to play almost all of those games between the two of them because Benkovic is always injured and might be going out on loan, and Morgan really shouldn't be starting games for us anymore. On top of that, as good as Evans is, he's 32, in the last year of his contract and has always been known to pick up injures. No way can he play 50 games this season. 

We need 3 first team quality CB's to cover the two positions incase of injury and to keep the players fresh over what will be a long season. I would guess that Tarkowski and Soyuncu will play 30-35 games each, Evans will play 20-25 and the rest will be covered by Morgan/Benko/Amartey. 

We need a first choice quality CB now even if we're playing 4 ATB to cover the extra games. If we were playing 3 ATB perminently we'd need at least two CB's coming in or else you're back to Morgan and Benkovic backing up again. Tarkowski coming in would give us the option of playing a 3 ATB which is obviously good but him coming in does not mean we're switching permanently. 

I personally think Evans will be phased out over the course of the season and replaced by Tarkowski (or whichever CB we get). He's aging and coming to the end of his contract. He'll still have a big role to play this season but we need to be ready if he leaves at the end of this season. 

Great post @Billy Big Balls but I think, and hope, you massively underrate Evans there. He’s our best defender & if possible should play 35+ games this season. Can’t see any reason why he wouldn’t be our best defender next season either, especially if Cags leaves next summer 

2 minutes ago, Lineker's Left Foot said:

James Tarkowski is one of those players where you think “hmm okay, not exciting, reliable..” but he will probably be part of a back three here.  Therefore he would be part of.a back three ‘where it will be greater than the sun of its parts”.

I'm sorry, but I just can't let this go. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

If Leicester pay Burnley 30m for him, Burnley would probably make around 25m profit from us and then go out and buy another up and coming player from the championship for around 4m

They have been linked with Steve Cook and Craig Dawson as a replacement.....

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Although I felt 3 at the back might be the way to go, since Barnes has started the signing brilliantly and the signing of Castagne and Ünder I think we'd weaken ourselves by doing so. 4-1-4-1 is and has always been our best system.

i guess it’s all about options. there maybe times, maybe even in europa where we need to go a bit more heavy at the back.

1 hour ago, Jaspa said:

He's probably free at the end of next season. If we could replace him with Tarkowski in the XI and also sign a younger rotational/backup I would sell Evans, yes.

I'm actually quite miffed off at him lol

Christ on a bike. 

For those of us brought up on John O’Neill, Marc North, Alan Paris, Jimmy Willis & Wes Brown, this is truly astonishing! 
Possibly the best (  certainly one of the best 3-4)  CB I’ve seen in a LCFC shirt in 50 years, and we have fans who’d replace him with Tarks or Fofana, or pension him off?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Earle said:

Christ on a bike. 

For those of us brought up on John O’Neill, Marc North, Alan Paris, Jimmy Willis & Wes Brown, this is truly astonishing! 
Possibly the best (  certainly one of the best 3-4)  CB I’ve seen in a LCFC shirt in 50 years, and we have fans who’d replace him with Tarks or Fofana, or pension him off?

you forgot the amazing Russel Osman, Steve Moran and Bruno N’Gotty

• Like 2

I’m not about all this talk of rotating defenders! For me especially at centre back you want the pair/3 to play every possible game they can together! For me you want the pair to know each other’s game inside out! Probably the main reason you rarely see centre backs rotated anywhere as imo it’s the most important part of a team! Everything is built off a solid defence (Chelsea may disagree but that’s how it should be lol)

Edited by dbtcity
  • Like 1