Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

James Tarkowski

2 hours ago, Jaspa said:

Evans. Last year of his contract, so we have to move on soon anyway and it's mad people aren't more disgruntled at him for purposefully getting sent off against Man U(after trying and failing to do so in the game against Tottenham right before that), which has forced us to play a patched up Wilf out of position at the start of this season and now will see him injured for 3 months trying to cover Jonny boys a**e.

Soyuncu dropped us in doo-doo too but Jonny's an experienced player who should be acting as a leader and he let us down.

No he didn't.  No he didn't.

Alternate reality posted with false authority.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

30m seems way to much for him, he's ok but not brillant, he's going to 28 in November. I reckon 16m max becos he will have no resale value.

Your not signing tarkowski for resale value. Your paying £30 million plus to get him for the peak years of his career 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Christ on a bike. 

For those of us brought up on John O’Neill, Marc North, Alan Paris, Jimmy Willis & Wes Brown, this is truly astonishing! 
Possibly the best (  certainly one of the best 3-4)  CB I’ve seen in a LCFC shirt in 50 years, and we have fans who’d replace him with Tarks or Fofana, or pension him off?

There was nowt wrong with John John John O'Neill!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

30m seems way to much for him, he's ok but not brillant, he's going to 28 in November. I reckon 16m max becos he will have no resale value.

This is a potential purchase with resale value not in mind.

If we buy Tarks for £35mill and he's sees out his career with us (another 6 years) that's £6mill a year for a proven solid dependable CB that knows the league.. .

There is no first choice CB in the league for £16mill unless either end of career or towards end of contract.

20 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

If Leicester pay Burnley 30m for him, Burnley would probably make around 25m profit from us and then go out and buy another up and coming player from the championship for around 4m

They've been linked with Steve Cook and other experienced players. In addition any person worth £4mill in the championship nowadays must mean incredibly inexperienced and therefore a huge risk. Even Matty Cash from Forest was nearly £20mill!

Unfortunately, days have pretty much gone getting bargains. Every team wants money and holds out for top dollar, it's the nature of elite football

Edited by TrickyTrevLeftPeg

So, would you go for Tarkowski, who could instantly perform to a very good standard at Premier League level, but who would have no real sell on value in 4 years, or gamble on Fofana, who may need a season to adapt, but in 4 years time may have a sell on value that is double or more his transfer fee now?

1 minute ago, MGLCFC said:

So, would you go for Tarkowski, who could instantly perform to a very good standard at Premier League level, but who would have no real sell on value in 4 years, or gamble on Fofana, who may need a season to adapt, but in 4 years time may have a sell on value that is double or more his transfer fee now?

Tarkowski for me. Fofana is too much of a gamble with only 20 odd professional games in ligue 1 to his name.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, majaco said:

Disagree.  Both are very good.

Like I've said throughout, I reserve judgement of a Burnley defender until he actually leaves. Keane was highly thought of until he moved to a side that played football and then started getting slated. 

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Evans is twice the player of Tarkowski.

Bit worried by the way Evans seemed to implode somewhat at the end of (his) season.  Rash/mistimed tackles and of course the red card.  He'd been Mr Reliable up till then.

Edited by PaulW
typo
  • Like 1

Fofana does have a potential higher reward long term but that's not a given. As pointed out he's only played 20 professional games and he may not be able to adapt and we could lose A LOT of money if he struggles.

Benkovic came with huge potential in mind but unfortunately due to injuries has not been able to play. Therefore that was a low risk and we've not lost much if he was to leave.

This may be a signing where we keep Tarkowski for rest of his career. We are all falling into the trap of resale value and from time to time we need to purchase experienced solid players.

Especially with Morgan and Fuchs eventually retiring. Evans getting older and we could even sell Soyuncu next season.

we'd want stability over next few years at CB position. Tarkowski could offer that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PaulW said:

Bit worried by the way Evans seemed to implode somewhat at the of (his) season.  Rash/mistimed tackles and of course the red card.  He'd been Mr Reliable up till then.

He was poor in the Bournemouth game, I agree. I was never convinced the penalty against United was a foul plus he got put in that position by someone else losing the ball.

You don't have the career Evans has had and just suddenly lose it over the course of a couple of games. He's still class.

Edited by Fox92

I’d take Tarkowski as my priority now. I kinda liked the sound of Fofana, but JT is a good fit, would be in our back line for a good many years and he’s a very good player. Per year (on a 5 year contract) his fee isn’t huge, and we need a mixture of players, some young to grow and sell on, and some experienced to slot straight in. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulW said:

Bit worried by the way Evans seemed to implode somewhat at the of (his) season.  Rash/mistimed tackles and of course the red card.  He'd been Mr Reliable up till then.

Probably frustrated with the lack of quality around him.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Great post @Billy Big Balls but I think, and hope, you massively underrate Evans there. He’s our best defender & if possible should play 35+ games this season. Can’t see any reason why he wouldn’t be our best defender next season either, especially if Cags leaves next summer 

Maybe I was a little harsh, I do think Evans was just as good as Soyuncu last season, if not better. I was just trying to be realistic about how many games he can play this season. He's starting to get on a bit so my idea would be to get 25-30 quality games out of him at full fitness rather than over straining him. He's obviously going to still be class this season though, you don't lose the sharpness of thinking he's got. 

Edited by Billy Big Balls
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

57 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Who cares if he has no resale value, let's get some players here with a view to them making their career here. He has aiways impressed me & i think he ticks all the boxes, knows the league so could play straight away. I'll be very pleased if we get him

• Like 2